Just want an opinion on a car...

Started by munkyfistfight, July 23, 2012, 12:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

My 1980 Plymouth Volarie has 45k on it , it was owned by one family  since new. Its from Colorado,It looks very good for its age. Its a slant six  which will run 250 to 300 k miles with just a little care.  I had to replace the exhaust pipe  and muffler and the water pump and added seat covers. The radiator  was a "Mopar special" too damed small for AZ , especially with air. It had minor rust at the corners of the hood and trunk lid , which I removed and painted the inside  of each.
My 1982 Dodge D150 pickup has 185k on it . I'm the second owner. It's a AZ truck so no rust.  It has a 4 speed overdrive trans and a slant six. I had to do a few repair /upgrades  when I got it (I'm a bit picky)
The 1973 Dodge B100 van  had a rebuilt slant 6 engine, about 5 years ago,as well as new brakes .  This truck has minor rust , but then it will be 40 years old next year! I have no idea how many miles are on it, probably at least 300k, I use it for my HVAC business and with a few repairs it  it will continue on as long as I need it! I'm aiming for 50 years!

Not all American cars were junk , there are a few gems out there, The Chrysler slant six  leads the pack.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

Yup, and it really matters how they're cared for especially regular oil changes. While US automakers have suffered periods of dismall quality I wouldn't agree their products were ever purposely designed to fail at 90k. Short of buying a lemon, regular maintenance and care will usually pay dividends regardless of make.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan