Apparently not so easy

Started by GT @ oh., October 06, 2007, 04:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT @ oh.

The starter clutch bolt fix I did ...Oh...a few months back .....didn't take ....cause I got a knocking yesterday and knew exactly what is was......pulled the cover and flywheel off and...... one bolt was broke about halfway down and the other two were way lose :o :'( :'(....guess I did something wrong :'(.....put it back together ....this time I used more threadlock...making sure surfaces were cleaned well....cut a + in the tip and peened....not sure what went wrong first time...... but threadlock obviously didn't take....plus I peened without the cuts ....just mushrooming end......hope this time takes ...of course this time the gasket will probably leak as I didn't change ...seemed reusable to me..... atleast I'm getting lots of practice for when my stator poops ::)....I'll let you all know.

h2olawyer

Bummer about the starter clutch.  First one I've heard of that didn't work.  Hope your gasket wasn't torn anyplace - if it was, you will have a leak.  Like you said - at least now you have practice for stator swaps!  Keeping my fingers crossed for yout re-repaired starter clutch bolts.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

I make my own gaskets  and coat them with  a product called Gask-a-cinch , on both sides . This protects and seals them  and I use them 2 or 3 times. You can get a  gasket hole punch set from Harbor freight for 6 dollars.  The hard part is making or finding a template for each type you need . (Left and right covers base gaskets , cam chain adjuster gaskets and intake gaskets once you have a good template hang on to it and take care of it.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

what grade bolts did you use? should be at least grade 8. at that grade they should be very hard to peen over..

it's also possable that you just got a defective bolt.  that hard of a metal can have a microscopic crack in it that you would never see until it failed..

hope it takes this time.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

??? You did use RED loctite, didn't you ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

GT @ oh.

The grade was 12.9 Lucky......... got them from Ace :-X.....replaced with the same.....and yes I had to smash long and hard to mushroom....this time cut + then smashed.....I think a simple -.... spread then smash would be better as I'm afraid of the quarters breaking away....as one did..... as I smashed.....I think the bolt broke after lose...as they all were so lose :o.....dont know how.... as mushroomed as I made them....I thought I'd never be able to get them out.....if I needed.     Tiger ...yes it was the red loctite.......I'm thinking it was the prep......as last time I just wiped threads with paper towel ....this time..... sprayed brake cleaner then wiped....and this time I flooded both threads with the loctite....last time thinking it would be overkill ::)   And as far as the gasket...put it all back together last night and rode around ...NO KNOCK.....for now ....and no leak....gasket had no tears and stuck whole to the cover half....sooo heres hoping

inanecathode

Afaik more loctite isnt neccesarily better, it keeps some of the stuff from curing properly.
I think ;o
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////