Main Menu

Revised relays!

Started by squid, May 14, 2006, 01:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squid

Just got my new rad fan relay from yamaha today, and they have really changed the design and I thought it was interesting. they are now plastic, completly weather sealed, you cant take them apart and even the terminals are sealed. ill take some pics tomorrow,
another thing that you may want to keep in the back of your head,
the starter clutch and rad fan realy are interchangeable, and the rad fan realy is cheaper, the kickstand realy is NOt interchangeable with the starter clutch realy, the kickstand relay is energized when the kick stand is up and de-energized when it is down, i found this out the hard way ;D

Lucky

Squid,
Most 'common' automotive relays are the same it's all in how they are plugged in.
i don't have a diagram handy to post, but you have 2 tyes of connections on a relay: the coil connections & the power connections.

the coil connections are simply that: one wire in, one wire out when voltage is applied, the coil is energized.

the power connections are usually 3 connections: power in, normally open & normaly closed.

what determines if the contact is normaly energised is which terminal the output wire is hooked to

some relays don't have that 5th teminal to prevent you from hooking it up wrong, butyou could substitute a common relay & individual connectors.

then sometimes you'll run across a relay that had 'extra' features like a diode or a resistor installed.  the nice thing about the sealed relays is that they are (should be) waterproof.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black