Oh So Close!!!

Started by skipa82, May 02, 2008, 02:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skipa82

Well I've got my "V" back together; Carbs dipped, Jets replaced, In-line fuel filter, New stator, battery,  Fresh oil, filter, and plugs. Hell I even Replaced the Clutch lever, and turn signal lens,(still the wrong one but it beats tape).

Anyway, she sputtered and bucked but fired right up. I rode it the ten miles home, made a small shifter adjustment, Looked for leaks; found none. and put her to bed for the night while doing a HAPPY DANCE.

Got up this am to let her warm up for my ride to work and no power. Whats up with this. Any Ideas ??? ??? ??? :-\ :o :'(

Skip
"What would life be without monsters and Visions" Lilly Munster 1970's tv show.

kwells

could you by chance have turned the key to the Park position?  It will make the rear light come on and drain the battery
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

macroars

No power like not even neutral light, or no power like enough to run the starter for more than X seconds?
MacRoarS

You are right about me being wrong.
You are wrong about you being right.
                                     House MD

Rick G

Did you check the fuses? Also the fuse box in old Yamahas is very unreliable , and is best replaced as the blades that hold the fuses tend to break off when cleaning is attempted.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

skipa82

Kwells: even had the kill switch set to off, and key in my pocket.

skipa82

macroars: Yes a neutral light, not enough to turn over the starter.
RickG: Fuse box was change out by P.O. and up graded to blade fuses

h2olawyer

The park setting on the ignition switch will still allow removal of the key.  It will also let the taillight stay on with the switch in the "OFF" position.  When you turn the ignition key to the off position, there are three 'detents':  OFF, LOCK & PARK.  LOCK & PARK are both much farther counterclockwise than the 'first' OFF position, but they are close to each other.

Since I always park mine in a locked garage, I don't use the LOCK position.  Been doing it so long that I probably don't use it when I'm out riding & stop for lunch.  I just forget it's even available.   ::)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) As mentioned, check the keyed position at shut down...Now...

Try giving her a boost with a car battery, (not running, if still attached to the car!!!). Once up and running, take a voltmeter to her and check if she is charging :o If not, another new stator and/or R/R may be in order... ::)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

macroars

I assumed for a little while that my battery drained itself in a day or two, but realized after some days of running that if I kicked it into first, released the clutch, moved the engine/starte just almost nothing, it was not drained any more. I guess that there is something strange in the starter, but this I can live with for a while.
MacRoarS

You are right about me being wrong.
You are wrong about you being right.
                                     House MD

QBS

You didn't list replacement of the starter oil seal.  If it's OEM, consider replacement with the spring lip design.  Search this site for several tons of starter rebuild comment.

Rick G

It sounds like your starter is in need of attention . If you get stuck , look around for a "starter rock"  about the size of a baseball. Take the rock and  smack the  starter body with it , then try starting the bike. If it now starts , then its certain that the starter needs a rebuild.
I'm not kidding , a starter thats on its last legs ,can be coaxed into action by a sharp blow.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

skipa82

Purchased for $350.00, Parts and Tune about $350.00. Hours of Fustration est. 75, Mileage since I got her 226. And Now She Lives. I'd like to take this oppertunity to introduce the newest Fully Ressurected 1982 Yamaha XZ550 VISION. I present to you "LILLY".

Thanks to all of you for your advice and patience at helping me get her back to breathing Fresh Air and ready to take on the Twisties again.

QBS

So, what did it take to get your starter to work?  Pics available?

skipa82

QBS did not have to touch the starter. Had a melt-down in the connector that comes off the RR that goes to the chargeing system. Replaced the RR and hard-wired the connections. Gotta go and take more pics the ones that I have are too big to download. Working on it though.

inanecathode

The r/r makes sense with low voltage. But an intermittent starter sounds more like a dirty kill switch than a low voltage problem.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

williamruck

Quote from: inanecathode on May 19, 2008, 10:25:50 PM
The r/r makes sense with low voltage. But an intermittent starter sounds more like a dirty kill switch than a low voltage problem.

One thing I did when I was trouble shooting was piece by piece take apart all of the lectronics from start button to starter and make sure all the wires had continuity and all the connections were good. It was a bit of work but I leaned a lot about where things went on my Vision and was able to narrow down my problem areas.

skipa82

OK Fellas,
As I keep saying the starter is fine. I was not having any problem getting her started. It was just not keeping a charge to the Battery. After about 50 miles (give or take) the bike would just bog down and die, or after 4/5 times of starting and turning her off, She would just click the starter over. I'd hook up the charger wait 20/ 30 mins and be good to go for another 50 or so miles.
Again it was just really a melted and corroded connector on the RR. And not the one from the Stator.
I though do appreciate all your comments and help in discovering the exact nature of the problem.

inanecathode

Quote from: williamruck on May 19, 2008, 10:33:10 PM
Quote from: inanecathode on May 19, 2008, 10:25:50 PM

One thing I did when I was trouble shooting was piece by piece take apart all of the lectronics from start button to starter and make sure all the wires had continuity and all the connections were good. It was a bit of work but I leaned a lot about where things went on my Vision and was able to narrow down my problem areas.

The inside of the kill switch is hard to get to, seems like a spot that corrodes open alot of times.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.