News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

New Avon- Road Rider tires ?

Started by jasonm., May 18, 2008, 11:51:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonm.

Anyone put these on yet? I just rec'd one mail order. I was told it was the replacement to the Super Venom(excellent) tire. I looked on the sidewall. It's only a 2-ply sidewall, where the super venom was 4 ply. But these new ones are "V" rated.  I corner quite hard...using all the tire and I need stability. This especially goes to the "peg scrapers" out there. So has anyone tried these yet?  I am deciding whether or not to put it on.  Thanks in advance for your replies.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

acee125

I just had them installed on my rims. 100/90-18 up front and 110/90-18 out back. Unfortunatley I haven't ridden with them yet. I'll report back once I do.

jasonm.

PLEASE DO...I need to know.  Break them in and Let me know how it feels as you scrape the pegs at 40 or so around turns... ;D....ASAP.  Send me an email as well if you like.

dtknox

I mounted a set of the Avon Road Riders last summer (90/90 front and 110/90 rear) and there have 3000 miles on them. So far I am very pleased with them. Handling is light, corning is smooth and braking fine.  In the rain there are excellent.

I generally do not push the Vision hard.  Most of my riding is to work and back and then weekend rides in the country. Compaired to other tires I have had on the Vision, the Road Riders as good or a little better then the BT45 and much better then the Dunlop's.

Ride Safe,

Dale

Vision 82
Ducati M750 97

h2olawyer

Quote from: dtknox on May 18, 2008, 09:19:21 PM
. . . and much better then the Dunlop's.

What isn't?   ;D

Actually, the GT 501 isn't a bad tire but the others seem way too hard - great for long miles, but don't grab the road well.

kwells just stuck a set on his V.  He was feeling some speed wobble today & tried tightening his steering bearings.  Haven't heard if that was successful.

VisionMeister put the RoadRiders on his V last Summer & rode from CA to CO for the 25 year party & then back home.  He didn't have any negatives to say that I recall.

Hmmmm - 2 whole plies.  So that's why they're so much less hip salad than the Super Venoms.

I just put a set of Yokohama Geolander A/T-Ss on my F250.  Size LT235/85R-16.  Those are load range E (10 ply).  So far, they're great.  Easier steering (my PS pump doesn't howl anymore) & they seem ro roll easier.  Plus, they ride smoother.  Replaced a worn set of Michelin XC-ATs.  Got nearly 60K miles out of the Michelins.  Would have gone with another set, but they want $50 more per tire than the Yokohamas.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

jasonm.

my experience with front wobble, is a tire that is not true(straight) or severly out of balance. I am having mine spin balanced.

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

jasonm.

put the bike on the center stand , jack up the front and check that the tire does not wave side to side while looking only at the edge where the tread stops(not middle) on the tire when spinning...that is a clear defect and not uncommon. The Avons I have had in the past were excellent in this respect. Years ago the shop noticed how my previous Avons were "dead nuts straight" compared to some Dunlops at that time.So I have stuck with them since. With the occasional Metz.

jasonm.

I got my Road Rider on the front.It was mounted and spin balanced by my local guy. Did a 3 hour ride. Got her up to 90 or so. Results= stable and solid with a smooth ride. Smooth ride, Probably the result of the 2 ply(soft) sidewall constuction.  Doing 70-80 in the back road turns also very stable. And allows mid-corner changes. Yes, I was testing it like the magazines would. This is a tire for those who want quick steering response. It's quite telepathic(with my Metz in the rear) the way you think it and it's done. Yet, it was stable on the highway. I have not checked absolute braking performance. But I expect it to be good. So far, no negatives. I will report back after my vacation.

kwells

sweet...

glad it's just my own situation with weaving on these tires...

Haven't gotten a chance to check balance but will do soon.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com