Cafe?

Started by williamruck, May 21, 2008, 07:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

williamruck

So I have hear the term "cafe" used to describe the look people are going for with their visions: "Are you going for the Cafe look?" or "its a cafe" and for quite a while I was just mildly curious about what that meant. This afternoon I had some time on my hands and I thought I would do a little research. So, with that in mind I went to ask the all-knowing, all-seeing oracle of the internet; WIKIPEDIA! and this is what I found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cafe_racers

In the early days it seemed this term described a sub-culture and a movement, but nowadays it is more or less a term for a style. When I got my Vision my wife asked me what I was going to do with it. Whether or not I was going to find all the original fairings and what not. I told her that I thought I would leave it all off and ride it naked (the bike that is, not me). She asked me if I was going to paint and I said that I was probably just going to spray paint it flat black and go for a kind of stripped-down-grunge look to zip around the curvy roads we have around here. In any event, I realized that I was not only building a very "cafe" looking bike but I was also doing it with the philosophy that went with the original movement.  ;D I feel cool.

Anyways, what are your guys thoughts on the wikipedia article? Does it have anything to do with the way the term as it is used around here?

YellowJacket!

Good article.  Very informative.
I think for the most part, the guys here that are doing it are doing so for the style and not the culture...but I could be wrong.  Lucky has been sporting some mean lookin sideburns lately.... :o

;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

Quote from: YellowJacket! on May 21, 2008, 07:45:24 PM
I think for the most part, the guys here that are doing it are doing so for the style and not the culture...but I could be wrong.  Lucky has been sporting some mean lookin sideburns lately.... :o

;D

David

Are they still flaming?   :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

williamruck

Quote from: YellowJacket! on May 21, 2008, 07:45:24 PM

;D

David

sideburns . . .  :D