News:

Main Menu

Ergonomics

Started by h2olawyer, May 23, 2008, 07:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

Just returned a while ago from a 30 mile shakedown ride.  This week, I finished the conversion from 82 to 83 ergonomics.  The lower handlebar risers have been on for a few years.  I finally located all the footpeg parts to complete the project this Spring.  Along with the different rider peg mounts, the swap requires an 83 rear brake pedal & a longer shifter linkage.

The change moved my foot position about 2 inches rearward and 3/4 to an inch higher.  Even with my longish legs, the position felt more comfortable.  We'll seee how I like it when I do a 300 or 400 mile ride in the upcoming days or weeks.  As for riding in the twisties, it gives me more of a feeling like I'm ready to move a little quicker than the 82 peg position.  I'd call the difference minor, but a definite improvement.  After sitting on tractor when I got home - to compare positions, Tractor feels almost like a cruiser & Silver V feels sportier - more of a forward lean even with just the short handlebar risers.  It is in no way the position of a current sport bike, but a comfortable compromise between the older Japanese Standard riding position and the current sport tourer.

Now, I need to get an 83 sidestand.  That little knob that was added to the stand base for 83 will make it easier to deploy when parking.  The 82 sidestand is acessible, but it's kind of tucked between the rider peg and the exhaust.  Mainly a convenience issue, but as long as I'm "83izing" my 82, I might as well do the swap.  I have one located & can go pick it up tomorrow.

While I had the rider pegs all apart, I took the time to put some white lithium grease on the shift pedal shaft.  My V never shifted so smoothly!  I highly recommend lubing the shaft as part of your annual Spring maintenance!

A worthwhile investment for me - just wish I hadn't taken so long to git 'er done.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

h2olawyer

Well, seems that Boulder Bike Works tossed their two 83 Visions.  Went down for a sidestand today & all they had were 82s.   >:(  :'(

They even have an ebay ad for the 83 sidestand.  Oh well, I'll find one sometime.

Anyway, while I was in Longmont, I stopped @ Left Hand Brewery & had a couple pints.  Met kwells @ Boulder Bike Works & he got some scooter parts he needed.  Turns out I left something at Left Hand, so when I got home, I got into my leathers & headed back south, this time on the V.

Went straight South on US287 but took the long way home, going West on CO66 to Lyons, US36 to Estes Park & US34 back to Loveland.  Just under 100 miles.  Was in the low 70s down here in the flatlands, but Estes Park was only in the upper 50s.  A little cool, but not unbearable.  The riding position will take some getting used to but I think I can handle it for long miles.  Just too bad the side stand is awkward with the 83 pegs.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

Is the centerstand different on the 83 as well?  I noticed the rear of my boot slightly pushing down on the lever while riding Blackie with the new 83 pegs on her.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Lucky

The side stand has a small 1"-ish extention with a knob at the end that comes off the pad, to let you get your boot on it to lower the stand.

the center stand is the same
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

funny thing is... the Euros always had the rear sets... never got the extended side stand
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

inanecathode

You know its funny. I adjust my bars forwards and down my wrists hurt and i lose feeling in two fingers. I adjust them back and up and the middle of my back hurts.
I think i'm just out of shape...
Although i've been told round is a shape.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

;D  I resemble that remark!   :P

H2O

inanecathode

If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Lucky

Quote from: inanecathode on May 25, 2008, 11:29:16 PM
You know its funny. I adjust my bars forwards and down my wrists hurt and i lose feeling in two fingers. I adjust them back and up and the middle of my back hurts.

That's the problem i'm having going back to the 82 risers after having the 83's on there all these years, although i think i'm getting used to it a little.  still would like to mount something else...

Rick G

Ahaa, now the light comes on!! I've been babbling for years about the "adjustable bars". There are three positions , too low, too high and this ain't no good either!  This is exactly why I went to the trouble to fabricate  a custom triple clamp with bar mounts built in. 
Dam, it feels good to say, I told you so!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

I heard you all those years, it wasn't untill switching back to the higher risers that i noticed the difference.  going to the lower ones years ago just seemed better, but when i first had the bike it was just 'normal Vision' i didn't know any better...

Rick G

The lower risers are defiantly better , but in deference to my (then ) 61 year old shoulders  and wrists, I wanted to sit more up right. I'm thinking of changing my bars, as , at 66 I need to sit even more up right ! Besides , to my eyes the '82 risers are the ugliest way to mount handle bars ,I've seen in 47 years of messing with bikes.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

Thanks for making me feel a little younger, Rick!  You've been messing with bikes for a year less than I've been alive!!!   ;D  I've anly been at bikes for 30 years - but not as actively as you.

H2O

Rick G

Your certainly welcome!! :D :D :D :D :D ;)
Rick G

supervision

My feeling is that, motorcycles are ment to be ridden "on the pegs".  It puts our oversized bodys, where the motorcycle can handle it the best. Traction should be tested, just riding around with your tires doing nothing than rolling, is not giving  you any feedback.  Practice skidding, allitle, go somewhere a move your bars fast, both ways, see what you can feel.  Also, setting on the highside of the bike, makes the tires  grip the ground. Setting straight "with the bike", "or on the inside", makes the tires slip.  Putting more weight on the outside peg, while leaned over, increases traction.  On roads that have lots of turns together, you must use the bars to start each direction change, as the other ways, take to much time, and you can easly get behind, an end up not makeing a turn, or will have to slow down to to get it back under control.
" border="0

Rick G

Super , what you describe is the technique  for dirt riding . I watched some of the AMA pros dicing with the AFM amateurs at Carlsbad in 1970 . The TT flattrack boys were sitting on the high side of the bikes power  sliding through the turns, it was great fun to watch ! The AFM  guys ,I raced with, were hanging off the inside and passing the AMA guys every 4 or 5 laps.
Sitting on top of the bike on pavement will get you killed , unless your a AMA pro!
Rick G

QBS

Watch the way the F1 guys ride.  It's really hard to be on the high side of a bike and drag a knee at the same time.

Night Vision

I know what Supervision is describing.... I've tried it in curves and it feels different.... in a good way...

I was trying to think how to describe an emergency (almost instinctive) maneuver that I do sometimes when at the last second I see a pothole I want to avoid....

now I can kinda describe it as "you highside your body to the right and throw your arms to the left"   

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

supervision

Here is an extreme example of what I am saying

" border="0

Rick G

Yep , that's dirt track style if your doing it on pavement with a 750 Norton , you can steer it  with the throttle ,like a flat tracker.  It works for me in the dirt ,because the tyre can dig in and you can steer with the throttle. For me, on pavement , I don't like running on the edge of the tyre, so go about it the other way . I'm on the low side of the bike  and it's more upright.
Those lads look like their dirt riders, riding super moto. you will see a variety of styles , depending on the rider past experience.
Rick G