News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

I think my vision just became a parts bike, NO, it RUNS again!!

Started by don_vanecek, February 09, 2013, 07:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikugun

Great news Don, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!  :) I would not be surprisd in the least if it holds up just fine. Here's hoping for the riding weather to arrive soon and keep us updated.  :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Rick G

No not on a Vision, but on other bikes . 80 cc Yamaha trail bikes did it rarely, I seem to remember various European bikes  would do it occasionally . A properly tightend nut holding the flywheel on was no guaranty , it would not sheer . It may be that quality control has gotten better  and bikes have gotten bigger, most likely are better engineered.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rikugun

Actually my question was directed at kwells but thanks Rick.  ;)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

don_vanecek

Today I finished putting the V back together all the way, and......guys it runs just great!  You cannot believe how much more quiet it is!  Now I didn't get a chance for a ride due to company and rain, but I did several restarts, and let it warm it, I am as you can guess, a happy man!!!

A thank you to you Jeff, although we didn't expect the chip out of the crank, you were right on in your diagnosis of the worn key, when the weather gets better we will have to plan that trip to Des Moines (by then of course I will know if the motor is really going to stay working or just teasing me).

Again, I cannot believe how quiet my motor is now, all you hear now are soft whirls and the bark of he exhaust (not too much bark, my exhaust is still all original). 

Whew, what a scare!

Rikugun

Lets face it, many of us have probably benefited from a parts bike once or twice but I'm glad this one beat the odds and remains a runner! Congrats Don.  ;D

Tiger

I'm really pleased for you Don...congratulations my friend.

One way or another, that old girl of yours was destined for the road once again... 8)

8) ....... TIGER .......  8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

pullshocks