Got myself a new (to me) Vision.

Started by off-roader on the street, February 21, 2011, 04:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

off-roader on the street

Hey. Just joined the Vision rider's world. Quite literally. I picked up my first street bike Saturday. A 1982 Yamaha Vision.

She ain't the prettiest Vision you've ever seen. But she runs, all the lights work, and came with a title. That's just about all this college kid needs.

I guess I'm looking at simple saddle bags. Any suggestions? I was looking for something that would hang over the "passenger seat" (not sure what it's called on bikes)

Well. Hello to all of you, and thanks for all the help you will eventually provide me with.

Thanks everyone!

Mike Jacobs

Quote from: off-roader on the street on February 21, 2011, 04:13:47 PM
Hey. Just joined the Vision rider's world. Quite literally. I picked up my first street bike Saturday. A 1982 Yamaha Vision.

Welcome aboard, Off-Roader.   You picked one of the best all-around street bikes ever made, and you have come to the place on the Net that offers you a wealth of knowledge gleaned by the sweat and blood of those who have gone before you into the ongoing challenge of keeping these old bikes on the road as useful transportation not just museum pieces... ;D

QuoteShe ain't the prettiest Vision you've ever seen. But she runs, all the lights work, and came with a title. That's just about all this college kid needs.

Pics.   This thread is worthless without pics.   We love pics of your new bike.

QuoteI guess I'm looking at simple saddle bags. Any suggestions? I was looking for something that would hang over the "passenger seat" (not sure what it's called on bikes)

Yeah, that's the ticket.   Passenger seat, buddy seat, bitch seat, pillion, call it whatever you want... :-\

Many companies make soft textile saddlebags that throw over the passenger seat and are ideal for sportbikes or naked sport-tourers like the Vision.  I've got a pair made by a well known maker that I got off of Ebay in like-new condition for around 40 bucks, that I use on my Vision, my Ninja and my Sabre.   Consider getting a tank bag too - I've got one I keep on my Vision permanently.   The Vision luggage rack is nice to have, but good luck finding one, I've looked and they seem to be nearly unobtainium.

QuoteWell. Hello to all of you, and thanks for all the help you will eventually provide me with.

A wise man who knows what he's let himself in for.   :laugh:

QuoteThanks everyone!

Back atcha
Mike Jacobs
Columbia, MD
1985 Honda VF700S Sabre
1984 Moto Guzzi V65SP
1982 Yamaha XZ550 Vision US
1978 Suzuki GS550 standard
1996 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja

spectre

Welcome dude!
This too is my first bike, a great starter, and experienced rider bike too!  ;)
have fun and stay with us!
-spectre
1982 yamaha vision xz550- a work in progress

Tommy

Welcome to the club. I picked up my new old Vision a few weeks ago. She was taken apart, and came with a box of parts, including a flooded starter and a broken rotor and starter clutch. With the help of this forum I got her running last Friday, and already rode around a bit. I really like this bike.

Have fun!
1974 MZ TS 150 (East Germany)
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ 'Vision' (Japan)

off-roader on the street

There she is hiding behind my buddy's SV650. This is the only picture I have of it now. The biggest problem is, I'm at school, and the bike is at home. I'll have to ask my dad to use his fancy new camera to take some glamour shots  :D

She's been assaulted with a rattle can (spraypainted red) has some interesting aftermarket lightbulbs screwed into the headlight. Some crazy air intake thing. and definitely needs new brake components. Pads for the front, and, whatever its called for the rear in the drum. The name escapes me at the moment. The carbs also need a cleanin'

Lucky, I have a mechanic as a father, so he's teaching me what I need to know.

Anyone have a specific brand or model of saddle bag that has worked well? and pictures of it on the bike? That would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again ROV!

Tommy

Nice pic! Looking a the Vision's line, next to the Suzi, it is hard to believe the Vision is a 30 year old bike.

QBS

Excuse me if this sounds biased but I think the V is much more attractive than the Suzuki.  However, I certainly do respect the SV650.

Eclipse brand soft luggage is highly respected, very well engineered, and very well made.  They have several models that fit the V.  I have the Interstate model and it is just a little too big.  But is does work for me, just way more capacity than I need.  When I throw on my Bagman 42 ltr. tank bag I have enough carrying capacity to tour forever.

BTW, hope you have a front fender somewhere.

Tommy

Quote from: QBS on February 22, 2011, 11:34:06 PM
Excuse me if this sounds biased but I think the V is much more attractive than the Suzuki.  However, I certainly do respect the SV650.

+1 (not with the 82 handlebar, though)

YellowJacket!

I used to have a set of these:

lets try this again...

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

off-roader on the street

Yea. I have the front fender and it is now on the bike.

Yellowjacket, do you remember what those are? Bbecause that is the exact style I am looking for.

Personally I like the looks of the Vision. I like the UJM riding position.

The SV has some cafe racer handlebars on it. That style has its place, and it is not on that bike.

QBS

With human ergonomics( i.e. sane handle bars and proper foot peg placement) and a well covering chain guard the SV650 would be an excellent sport tourer.  But never as good as an '83 V.  There is just no substitute for a drive shaft with the possible exception of a belt ala BMW 800 st.

fret not

www.motorcyclegear.com has some Fieldsheer bags on close out that look a lot like the ones on YellowJacket's V.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

YellowJacket!

Quote from: off-roader on the street on February 23, 2011, 11:37:54 PM
Yea. I have the front fender and it is now on the bike.

Yellowjacket, do you remember what those are? Bbecause that is the exact style I am looking for.

Personally I like the looks of the Vision. I like the UJM riding position.

The SV has some cafe racer handlebars on it. That style has its place, and it is not on that bike.

I think they were Joe Rocket.  Got them at denniskirk.com for less than 100.00.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)