News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Woo! (CB750 Build :D)

Started by inanecathode, May 19, 2007, 11:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

Might be getting ahold of a cb750 for 450 bucks.
Stay tuned :D!!!!
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

YellowJacket!

Double woooo!

Just don't leave us like every one else who gets another bike does.  I like your "smiling face"  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

inanecathode

Lol, it's my personality in an avatar!

Triple woo! Looks like im going to get it. Running down to boulder after work to take a look. He has 200 dollars of mine, i have his title, so it's practically mine already, barring any rediculously bad problems "Oh that? Yeah, needs an engine..."

inanecathode

Alright, my spiffy '78 honda cb750k is sitting in the back of my fathers truck in the driveway (unloading a fairly large motorcycle in the dark in the rain in mud by myself with no cellphone doesnt particularly appeal to me :o). Observations:

The gas tank. I think a holy sh*t is in order. I've NEVER seen a tank this clean, not to mention this old and clean. Its not lined, its not rusty, its not even powdery looking, its shiny-shiny steel. Wow.
No fuel hoses hooked up so i'm thinking the insides of the carbs are just as clean, fingers crossed!
Needs cables, all of em.
Needs seat from the pan up.
Wiring issues

Thats about it really, not too bad i suppose. I'll make this into a build thread me thinks :D

YellowJacket!

PICS!!!!! The masses demand pics!!!
(I'm just inpatient...I know you are going to post them)  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

inanecathode

DEWD! I wish i could take pictures (of both this bike and the rustoleum paint job finished result) but my dad took the digital camera for the weekend, and i wont have access to picture taking until tuesday :(

You're not missing much with the cb750 though, the only colored piece left is the tank, and its that REALLY ugly mid seventies brown/maroon color, puke brown if you will.

Got new push and pull throttle cables, choke cable, ignition switch all ordered. Plan on getting a big block of foam, welting, and some vinyl on tuesday.

h2olawyer

Watch out, inanecathode - the Vision can be a jealous mistress.  It seems to tolerate other Visions parked nearby, but it your V senses other bikes (particularly Hondas or Harleys) with your John Hancock on the title, it tends to get more gremlins.   ;D  I got my second V & the stator on my good one crapped out.  Can't imagine what would happen if I brought a bigger, sexier bike home . . .

Seriously, good find.  A friend of mine is building a 76 CB750 into a drag bike.  He doesn't have much $$ to throw at it, so he's looking at it as a 2 or 3 year project.  He currently owns a GTS1000 & a Venture.  When he brought the Venture home, he proceeded to get burned by the GTS1000 silencer, got a flat on that bike and had several other minor issues with it as well.  Just goes to show that not only Visions get jealous!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Aelwulf

Amen to that, goes for cars too.  If I even got to thinking about another vehicle my '94 Duster would start actin' up.  I think it finally got the idea when I got a truck that it wasn't being replaced, just something else was doing the heavy work.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

inanecathode

GAH! H2o is right, visions do get jealous. I fired up the V to get her synced in right and mixed right (lol, with the choke OFF this time eh?) and shes just not running right at all (see my main build thread for details)

inanecathode

EEEWWWWWWW!
I needed a barf bag when i opened up the #1 float bowl on the cb750. It was glued on with varnish of all colors, red, yellow, green, blue. They're getting dipped. Big time. #1 carb is already dipped and cleaned. Hopefully when i seperate the carbs the heavy clock spring doesnt go shooting off into the woods like my last clock spring :o

All the cables are on the way, and i just ordered a set of pod filters for the bike. I wrestled those carbs out, and thats one too many times for me. Pod filters will save the pain in the ass factor quite a bit. It also turns out this bike is somewhat of a fraken bike, the air box is from a cb750f-f, the engine has "cb750e" stamped on it, and it seems the rest of it is cb750k stuff. Very odd.

mustang_pg

im workin on a 78 cb 750 right now the carbs and air box are a pain to get in and out !!!! lol

inanecathode

Tell me about it! Get some pod filters and save yourself the effort :D

Pictures :D

The carb dip appears as if it did almost nothing, i dipped it for 30 minutes and the above is the result.

kwells

looks like rust deposits...might want to find urself an old toothbrush and start some scrubbin
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

Aye, i tooth brushed it good and they still stayed on. Brass brush fixed me up good :)

inanecathode

Taking the carbs in to a friends shop to get them all done before work tomorrow. He has a roof, and a pair of eyes, so that should help :)

kiawrench

if your friend can help, that wil be good.
way back when carbs were still on cars,,,, we made our own "sonic cleaner"stations

regular carb tank, and basket, and a "personal massager" made by oster corp safety wired tight to the handle of the basket. just dip the carbs, turn on the power switch and in 30 mins carbs look like brand new

we used tape on the first one we built,, never did find out where the massager landed , but we did get a new skylight in the back of the shop .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

inanecathode

Quote from: kiawrench on May 27, 2007, 02:32:47 PM
if your friend can help, that wil be good.
way back when carbs were still on cars,,,, we made our own "sonic cleaner"stations

regular carb tank, and basket, and a "personal massager" made by oster corp safety wired tight to the handle of the basket. just dip the carbs, turn on the power switch and in 30 mins carbs look like brand new

we used tape on the first one we built,, never did find out where the massager landed , but we did get a new skylight in the back of the shop .

Im curious why the taped on one dissapeared :o

Anyone familiar with these kind of carbs? Kei hin PD carbs off a 78. Reason i'm asking, is i cant figure out how the floats go on. Does the round part go toward the carb body? Or the flat part? Is it that way on all of the carbs or just some of them.
I'm also an idiot. I set the little steel tube thing down in the main jet cavity, stuck the main jet/emulsifier in there, and tightened it down. And tightened it down. And tightened it down. "Why's this thing so tight?" i then wondered. Upon removal of the tube from the cavity, the tube now resembles elbow macaroni :o I managed to bend/crush/twist the tube that much without stripping it.
Happier news though, i think i have the number one carb totally cleaned out. The pilot jet was SO clogged, there was a small piece of cubic zirconium or something lodged in there, took some serious drilling with copper wire to get it un-plugged. At least now i know i dont have to dip the carbs, just poke out the jets thouroughly.

Update: Alright, turns out i put in ALL the floats upside down on both my and my brothers cb. DUH!

kiawrench

cath- the fumes from that old style carb cleaner broke the tape down, and as such things seem to go, it dropped into the bucket -while it was plugged up and running- sort of created a stationary rocket motor- device sparked, carb cleaner flashed and contents of the bucket shot through the tin roof - no explosion, just a loud "whoosh "sound and bingo- instant sky light .  that old carb cleaner burned off so fast that there was only a small fire to deal with , but my friend and i really had some explaining to do to his dad. that shop still has the smell of burnt cleaner in it to this day- and that was over 25 yrs ago .-- i actually wonder if the smell is really just in memory, and when i go there, the memory comes back ?

lets not all run out and build one of these things , those days are long gone- carb cleaner now will either burn you down completely ,or worse. unless you buy that enviro friendly stuff- but it doesnt clean carbs either (no matter what you do to it )
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

inanecathode

Ah well, i'm more about a bit of crc, elbow grease, and a collection of stranded wire :D

inanecathode

Woo! ALL my parts came today. Choke cable, throttle cables, clutch cable, ignition lock plus i was able to find an emulsifying tube to replace the one i smashed earlier in the week :o
All i need now is time to do the work. That, and some freakin good weather, you're liable to see an arc floating down the street today i swear!