News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Spring CROV ride

Started by VisionMeister, January 24, 2008, 03:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aelwulf

Vision's still out but depending on crew schedule and budget might make it for the Saturday or something with the new bike.  I'll have to wait and see what the May schedule's supposed to look like and if I've go tthe gas/hotel cash.  Sacramento-San Fran is a good 4-5 hour ride from here. :C/ So guess I'm a 'possible but not likely' now. :p

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

VisionMeister

Skaggs Spring Road

check out this YouTube video of Stewarts Point/ Skaggs Spring Rd. and see if it helps motivate you to make the trip.

Ron_McCoy

Well O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-K, I guess I'll go.  Things have worked out at work and I have the time off so
Sharon and I will definitely be there.  Really didn't need the video to convince me, but its nice anyway.

;D ;D ;D

supervision

All right, Let's here it for the McCoy's 
" border="0

skipa82

Quote from: coilXZcoyle on April 01, 2008, 10:56:09 PM
Quote from: skipa82 on March 31, 2008, 06:09:00 PM
Hey all,
If you don't mind a newbie coming along, I would Love to be there, As long as I can get this charging bug worked out. Just let me know asap on the final details, so that I can adjust my schedule.
Skip,
       I'll join you at Medford, OR for the trip down, or Cresent City, Ca. if you come down the coast.
My location is in my Profile.
541dash499dot0595 is the house ph #

;)
Coil

Coil,

I would love to have someone to ride down with. But mostly it depends on if I can get these darned Carbs back together, and that charging bug worked out.

My # Is two fifty three/ 961 and Four thousand three twenty two.
Skip

"What would life be without monsters and Visions" Lilly Munster 1970's tv show.

skipa82

hey Rov's
Anyone else in the Pac-NW  (Wa, Or, Id. even Canada)even entertaining the idea of going on this trip. If so lets make plans to make this a mini trip of our own, and join the others.
Just an Idea,
Skip
"What would life be without monsters and Visions" Lilly Munster 1970's tv show.

Brian Moffet

Quote from: VisionMeister on April 05, 2008, 04:32:24 PM
Skaggs Spring Road
check out this YouTube video of Stewarts Point/ Skaggs Spring Rd. and see if it helps motivate you to make the trip.

I suspect their traveling way beyond the speed limit, dragging their knees around corners on public roads usually isn't necessary....

I'll catch up later if any of you do that.

Brian

visionless

My wife and daughters aren't coming with me, so I think I am going to ride up on the Katana for this one.  I was thinking about using the directions below to get there.  Any imput on the route would be most helpful.  I've rode the part to Hollister before, but after that I 'm not sure.
            Chris

Directions at this link

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/8-wr*A3D*N
When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

'05 Katana 750    '82 XZ550
See 12 Visions all in a row!
http://www.myspace.com/ccoyle6731

Aelwulf

If I saw ride looks like idjits passing on double yellows too, although can't say I'm surprised if they're speeding that much anyway.  Blare my horn at people doing that on bikes or in cars, whether I'm on a bike or in the truck.  Couple of 'em came close to head-on too I didn't care to have to avoid.

Here's the link from here, trying to avoid the San Fran area traffic if I did it right.  I might not know until the week before since that's usually when the new schedule comes out but I'll see if I can't sneak a peek at the rough draft tomorrow if they have it started.  How much do the toll stations run on the 680, are motorcycles required to pay (dunno if some let bikes thorugh or not) and do they have manned booths for non-exact change?

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/5-lwZpv9Oa (According to Mapquest that Bestwestern is on 6500 Redwood Dr.)

If I show up and anyone has floor space I'll be glad to chip in.

*thunk*
What was that?!

VisionMeister

Any routes that run through San Jose and 101/680/780 are bound to run into stop and go traffic if you are mid afternoon (2:00) or later, especially on a Friday afternoon.
That is why you may want to consider staying on 5 in the central valley. There are a couple of places to cut across the Delta; Hwy 4 or hwy 12 will work but running to 80 will keep you on the freeway.
If you have ever been to Sears Point Raceway, traveling east on hwy 37 from Vallejo, pass by the intersection for the track and turn north at the next intersection on Lakeville Rd. This will intersect with hwy101 at Petaluma. Get on hwy 101 north and you have about 10 miles to go the Rohnert Park.

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Aelwulf on April 07, 2008, 01:55:45 AM
If I saw ride looks like idjits passing on double yellows too, although can't say I'm surprised if they're speeding that much anyway.

This last weekend I was in Santa Cruz, and while I was driving down Highway 1, I saw a sport bike doing wheelies (I guess to impress his friends) on the Freeway at 60+ mph.

I guess they think they're immortal...  Until they die (like 2 did on Old San Jose road this last weekend.)

Brian

visionless

Craig,
I'm looking at leaving early Friday morning.  So if you do an afternoon ride towards San Francisco on Friday, maybe we can hook up somewhere.  I think Dad (RonMcCoy) will be riding up with me.
             Chris
When a whole nation is roaring Patriotism at the top of its voice, I am fain to explore the cleanness of its hands and purity of its heart.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Aelwulf

Quote from: VisionMeister on April 07, 2008, 11:40:43 AM
Any routes that run through San Jose and 101/680/780 are bound to run into stop and go traffic if you are mid afternoon (2:00) or later, especially on a Friday afternoon.
That is why you may want to consider staying on 5 in the central valley. There are a couple of places to cut across the Delta; Hwy 4 or hwy 12 will work but running to 80 will keep you on the freeway.
If you have ever been to Sears Point Raceway, traveling east on hwy 37 from Vallejo, pass by the intersection for the track and turn north at the next intersection on Lakeville Rd. This will intersect with hwy101 at Petaluma. Get on hwy 101 north and you have about 10 miles to go the Rohnert Park.

I remember the traffic a bit on Saturday in San Jose when we went to pick up Kage's bike.  Wasn't bad but enough to be annoying if unsure of where yer going.  As for the San Fran area I wasn't sure how far out the traffic snarls typically extended there.  I'll see about mapping one up the 5 and see if it takes much longer.

Update link:
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/7-Yjcy

Looks like it'd take an hour & 15 minutes or so longer for me, and possibly still hit traffic in Stockton & Sacramento.  Would that be worth changing from the other one?  If the other has 2 hours of traffic and this one has an hour of traffic it'd still take longer going the Sacramento route.

*thunk*
What was that?!

visionless

I'd rather stay home than buzz up I5 for 5hrs.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rick G

I understand that , but it can't all be twisties!  Here in AZ. we have miles and miles of miles!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Coil Coyle

Quote from: visionless on April 06, 2008, 11:15:16 PM
My wife and daughters aren't coming with me, so I think I am going to ride up on the Katana for this one.  I was thinking about using the directions below to get there.  Any imput on the route would be most helpful.  I've rode the part to Hollister before, but after that I 'm not sure.
            Chris

Directions at this link

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/8-wr*A3D*N

Chris,

That is the most efficient way through the Bay. You would want to hit Oakland before 2PM or so. If you want a tourist route that would add a half hour or so;
Take 85 west, 280 west, Hickey Ave. west, Skyline Drive north, fork left at Great Hwy. (don't miss this turn, left turns are 3 right turns in SF), you get the beach and Victorian housing tour then up Geary to 25th, to Lincoln Blvd. by the Legion of Honor, under 101 and loop left onto the Golden Gate bridge. Brian can give you a better description.

Friday afternoon the 101 corridor will be a stop and go snail all the way from Marin to Cotati after 2/3 PM.

Craig,

If we met them at the north side of the bridge, a Mt. Tam and Hwy 1 up the coast ride would be about two hours to Cotati. Lori and I will be moving my step daughter, Sarah, up to Oregon; I'll probably be down a couple of days early. I'm in for any Friday ride you want to set up.

;)
Coil

Brian Moffet

Quote from: coilXZcoyle on April 07, 2008, 11:58:11 PM
fork left at Great Hwy.

And don't forget to wave as you drive down the great highway  ;D

Brian

VisionMeister

I'm planning to arrive by noon on Friday and have the afternoon to ride.
There is no getting around the fact that the bay area Hwy's are not going to be fun to ride on. You don't have to go all the way to Sacramento to get around it, it just depends on how well you know the alternate routes and your attitude towards avoiding it or taking it head on.
Coils suggestion is a potentially good alternate. 101 north out of SF is horrible, especially on Fridays. But, riding some of the back roads of Marin county could be interesting.

visionless

I'm looking at about seven hours of riding so I was planning on leaving about 5:00, but not later than 6:00 AM.  Hopefully that will put me ahead of most traffic.  I would like to arrive around 2:00 to get in a Friday ride.  All of this is contingent on me getting through my back problems before than. 
                    Chris
Ralph Waldo Emerson

VisionMeister

Good luck with that back.
If you get to SJ late using 680 to Concord/Martinez and 780 to Vallejo could be a good bailout route.
Keep in touch and we'll see you at Rhonert Park.