News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Shorai Battery

Started by artbone, February 15, 2012, 01:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artbone

The nice part about living in Mexico is that as soon as you let the clutch out you're riding in Mexico. A few of the Motoclasico members went for a ride Sunday to the little town of Pozos, about 35 miles away for lunch. Here we are getting ready to leave from in front of my house.

It was an interesting mix of bikes. I was on my Vision, my friend Mike P. was on his Norton Fastback, his wife Loretta was on her new BMW 650 GS which is really an 800 (go figure), Mike E. was on his 65 Triumph 500, and Peter M. was on his Hausaburg.
We had a great lunch and were joined by the hotel/restaurant owner, David, who bought us each a shot of Mescal and showed us around his place and his soon to be opened Spa.

[imghttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-UImj1w8yrFY/T3poKJVKUNI/AAAAAAAAIEc/h4eGudIEuV8/s720/IMG_5454.JPG?gl=US]http://[/img]

Then we rode up the hill just outside of town and looked around an abandoned silver mine, then headed home. It was a very nice way to spend a day. And my new battery didn't go up in smoke.
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

AdvRich

Very Nice Artbone! Glad to hear all is well with the Vee's new battery and looking good in the last pic.

supervision

Thanks for all those pictures!!! 
" border="0

fret not

Art, where in Mexico? 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

motoracer8

Artbone, MOSFET= metal oxide semiconductor field effect transister. There are several in the later regulators.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

artbone

Quote from: fret nut on April 05, 2012, 01:30:34 AM
Art, where in Mexico? 
I live in San Miguel de Allende GTO. It's about 150 miles northwest of Mexico City. It's 6500 ft. elevation so it never gets very hot and it's far enough south that it never gets really cold. There are really nice roads in all directions. It's a great place to live.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

fret not

I spent a night there once, then went to Guanajuato for a week and enjoyed the fiesta de la presa.  It was all interesting country to me.

kiwibum

Hello Art.
I know this is an old thread but thought I would enquirer how the Lithium battery is holding out? If you ever come back to NZ to ride you are welcome to call in to stay with us in Rotorua in the North Is.  I might even have a bike going by then.

Thanks
Steve

Rick G

Art , I may have  confused San Miguel de Allende, with another town , but I saw a travelogue on TV the other night  and I seem to remember that name . They said that the Mexican revolution started there  and that the Priest was  responsible for  getting it started . It is a charming little town,
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

artbone

That's the town I live in. They had the 200 year celebration of the War of Independence in 2010.

The battery is doing great. The engine spins over much faster than it did with a regular battery and the lights are much brighter when I turn on the ignition.

Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Rikugun

Thanks for the update artbone.  :D Both of my bikes now have MOSFETs and one will be needing a battery soon. I'm becoming more interested in these batteries.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

artbone

I've bought a Mosfat (or most fat) regulator but haven't installed it yet. I think I'm going to do what several folks suggested and mount it out in the airstream somewhere. I think I saw where someone mounted it by the left rear foot peg. That looked nice and would be out of the way. It would have to be better than the stock location. That has to get really hot.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

kiwibum

I'm not 100% certain on this however the MOSFET R/R will run happily in the original location from what I've read. They run very much cooler than the old transistor ones. So you don't have to muck about extending the wiring to get it in the airflow. I don't have one yet so can't comment from real life experience just what I've learned vicariously reading the forum and others experiences:).

fret not

Yes, the MOSFET RR unit should do well in the original mounting position.

Rikugun

Yup, no reason to jump through hoops - MOSFETs will do fine in the original location.   ;)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

artbone

That's what I love about ROV! Thank you all so much for that info. That will save a lot of work and time.

What's the saying? "In theory, theory and practice should be the same. In practice, they're not."
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650