A Different Ride

Started by rhpaw, July 10, 2009, 03:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhpaw

So I went up to Alaska over the weekend to enjoy the fourth and got to take a little ride down the coast..(about 10 miles) Just enough to get a feel for pop's bike.

Awesome machine. All 25hp. All I heard was,
"DON'T CRASH MY VINTAGE BABY!!!!"
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

h2olawyer

Great looking Beemer!  Definitely one to be proud of.

You're lucky to have a trusting dad!   8)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

rhpaw

-we have visons, we can fix anything.

Tiger

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

I love those old roller bearing crank Beemers. Yours looks great!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

It's good to have a grounding in reality, as far as "well lol, look how far we've come since then!"

My secret desire is actually a cj750 solo bike... Chinese side valve military bike copied from a 34 bmw r71 :o
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

A Ural might be easier to find . . .  Besides, you can get 2WD with the sidecar!  The bike is about the same thing as the Chinese version.  The Ural dealer in Pierce, CO had the Chinese version parked next to a Ural & you had to look at the stampings and casting quality to see any difference.  The Ural looked a little more 'finished' (but that's not saying much).   :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Kojo

That is a HAWT bike! Love it!

I can hardly convince my dad to take his bike out. (1981 Honda Twinstar, same as mine but almost perfect.)
Younger, but just as smart. Really.

funkamongus

yeah,, looking good.. Ive been riding a 72, 75/5 with a toaster tank.. Nice little rides... My favorite part is seeing the hardcore harley-esque riders get all soft and smiley when they see it and start waving like a kid at a parade! These bikes really bring out the nostalgia in people. My least fave part is I seem to sit on my junk and it goes numb after about an hour.. then I get off the bike and have that pins and needles feeling all over my entire groin.. interesting to say the least!!!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

rhpaw

So AKVision is so pleased about how this bike came out he's been talking to me about maybe another BMW to ride/ fix..
He's rather partial to an R90/s.. I'm thinking I could cafe/ruin a perfectly good 80's R80 or R100.
We'll see, maybe one will come along.

1976, little rhpaw on akvision's r90/s

funkamongus

haha KEWLLLLLL!!!  I like the r90/s too..
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Rick G

My all time favorite BMW, the R90s . I was service manager at a BMW Yamaha shop in Norwalk CA. in 1973 /74 and loved to test ride them. The boss had one and occasionally, we would go for a company ride and trade bikes. My ride was a Yamaha TX500 and his son had a much modified Yamaha 350.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

akvision

yup, little rhpaw behind the Lufmeister.  Was a swell bike. Had to sell when I came to Ketchikan.

I often wonder what happened to it..maybe sitting in someone's garage.  It changed my way of thinking about motorcycling.

Looks like it affected rhpaw too.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska