First ride of 2004

Started by Walt_M., January 01, 2004, 06:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt_M.

Looking out at sunshine this morning so I decided I had to ride. Started my usual route to the east and ran into fog, turned and headed west along the coast highway toward Apalachicola, sun came out and it was beautiful, what a great day. However, time to head back and I ran back into fog about 10 miles from home. It was ok, wound up riding 75 miles, I've done a lot worse. Happy New Year to all!
Whale oil beef hooked!

kiawrench

Got my first one in, weather has gone twilight zone on us , mid 60s, clear sky and all the cops are still hung over.

I did some recent mods to my vision, i mounted a set of SECA II saddlebags and a luggage rack. If anyone interested, the seca bags will mount up direct, three point bolt on and the tailights can be re-used if you make a straight bar bracket for them.  I did have to remount the oem seat, mainly for looks,the one i made just didnt look right with the bags , was too low - bag corner was above seat ,but oem seat is about 2 inches over top of bags .
     after some careful repacking of my single bg tool kit (now one half in each bag) i was able to balance my load. Still had the good stuff on the bike - rain gear, some mad money tucked into my left side tool bag  and food and drink for the day .
   we went up interstate 26 into north carolina , then returned on sc highway 9 ,, lot of turns and some really sweet sweeping turns - the bike handles the extra weight very well, and i did notice that the minor headshake is now all but gone, may re adjust the bearing pretension, see if it drops any more now .
    hope every one has a chance to ride this week, hope to get in more time myself, hate not riding - my old chevy truck just drinks too much gas to drive often.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Walt_M.

Still having unbelievable weather, even for north Florida. Got my fork brace in the mail today so I had to try it out. It is not lovely looking but it does calm the front end down a lot on rough pavement and in the curves. Anyway, put another 60 miles on it, no fog today. Glad I have this bike, if I didn't already have it, I wouldn't know what I was missing. I haven't seen the Seca II hard bags, I have a set of Eclipse soft bags from eons ago that are still in good shape and will hold a lot of stuff. They are easy-on, easy-off and work for me, not pretty but functional.
Whale oil beef hooked!

MotorPlow

Just a FYI,
It's supposed to warm up to 70 Deg this weekend in Western Virginia.  Whoo Hooo.

Chris

Rick G

And we just got  anouther 5 inches of snow!!!  No riding around here for a while!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Walt_M.

That's too bad. I still remember what snow is like and I still don't miss it! We're still having beautiful weather here but I've been indulging myself too much lately and have a few 'Honey Dos' stacked up.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

We got 2 more inches  and them a whole day and night of freezing rain!!!  Its all gone now , thank God.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

ok, this is nuts, school is canceled, it's -7 degrees, with a wind chill of MINUS TWENTY SEVEN! exposed skin freezes in 5 min...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

RobTx

Guess I can't complain about it being 60 right now.
Rob

Walt_M.

You could but you'd get no sympathy. I did another 65 miles last Saturday and 20 today. I'm still enjoying the fork brace but I find that I'm comfortable at 60-65 mph where I had been running 55-60 so I have to be more alert.
Whale oil beef hooked!