News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Cafe Vision maiden Voyage

Started by Lucky, November 04, 2007, 06:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

The water in Luckys cafe engine was likely the result of being parked out doors in the rain, not as a result of a failure in the cooling system or head gasket . I've torn down several visions with a bad cylinder,  damaged beyound use by water getting in to the cylinders through open intake valves. If its caught in time ( as lucky must have )  repeated oil changes will flush it all out and save the engine .
The ones I've come accross  were not so fortunate . The rings in one cylinder or the other,  were rusted to the bore and the pistons had to be driven out  using a wooden block and a large hammer .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

Dang.  How'd I miss this post.  I need to come to goin riding more often.

I've been to Lucky's a couple times while he was workin gon his new cafe V and I must say that wen he is done with it, it is going to be a really nice bike.  The scary thing is that for a bike that was so badly neglected and sat outside for so long, it starts up a lot easier than YJ or Luckys regular rider!!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiger

Quote from: DaveTN on December 07, 2007, 09:47:51 PM
The scary thing is that for a bike that was so badly neglected and sat outside for so long, it starts up a lot easier than YJ or Luckys regular rider!!

David

:) It should do 'cause its.......steam driven :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

jasonm.

Here's something many forget. ONLY the heads and cylinder are liquid cooled. So if there is coolant getting in...it's thru the head gasket. A bad pump seal will only and should only leak out the "weep hole" by the thermo housing.  There is steam and there is white smoke. White smoke is 90% of the time a head gasket. I suggest pulling the radiator, valve covers etc. and retorquing the head. I did this on my '82 for other reasons. You just need the proper tool to do this. An 8mm allen socket designed to reach. I made mine from and long 8mm and fit into a socket and cut it to just clear the cam caps. FYI, you may have to remove some bearing caps from the cams. AND may not be able to actually geta a torque wrench in everywhere. Then you use the 1/4 rule. Loosen the head nut 1-2 full turns squirt oil around the nut. Then retorque 1/4 turn tighter than before.MARK the ALLEN.  DO this one nut at a time. NOT all at once. Otherwise you could loose the "sealing properties" of the gasket.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules