News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Steering head bearings

Started by mrsoup, September 25, 2002, 06:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsoup

Who out there has installed tapered roller steering head bearing in place of the standard ball type? I started this project last night and there are no instructions as to the proper torque. I am sure that the torque rating should be higher than the 14ft. lbs. that is reccomended for the standard setup. Can anyone please give me some feedback on this?

Bernard Lajoie

you need to find a fisherman's scale,you'll need a2-3lb.pull with the front end off the ground,front wheel pointed forward top nut tightened to torque.FTW

Lucky

measured from where? bar end? 2-3 lbs sounds kind of light... i'll have to get my tackle box out and refresh my memory as to what 3 lb pull feels like.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Bernard Lajoie

Spaced on that info.pulling on the front wheel 90deg.from wheel centerline.if you haven't noticed bike manufactures have gone back to ball bearings(caged not loose)to quote;they are not being adj. correctly by tech./owners.truth is if you ever took apart your front end of your brand new "whatever" you would find not much in the means of grease ect.word to the wise if you buy a new bike take the time to properly lube the front end and rear susp.(linkage also)so it will last, obviously they(the manufacture's) don't care about your purchase as much as you do!FTW

jasonm.

I put the tapered ones in my '83. Basically you leave the upper or lower clamps at the forks loose. Not both...bang! Then tighten the ring(s). with the wheel off the ground till You have some obvious resistance to moving the bars(grips). Aim the wheel straight. Then give it a slight push left or right. It should slowly go to the stops. Also I put a grease fitting in the steering neck(drill/tap). Now there's no way there won't be enough grease in there. Done this on all my bikes.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

ricks_83

let me see   people that have changed to the tapered rollars still have hands off shake which is the only reason i would change has any one cured that problem?  

hewi

Changing the steering bearing to tapered ones has made a great difference in the general handling of my bike. The off hand wobble has gone completely and the ride feels much safer at high speeds. I?m not aware of the precise torque for thightening the lock nut - I just thightened it until the steering felt good - loose but without any slack!

QQBS

Jason:
Does your steering neck fitting idea mean that the entire steering neck must be filled with grease to finally get grease to the bearings?  Cheers.