News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Daytona Speed Week

Started by GAJim, March 04, 2004, 04:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAJim

I have been seeing all the bikes trailered headed for Daytona this week.  I had planned on riding the V to it this year but that was before the divorce and all but hey there is next year.  Plus my V is sitting without exhaust I sold the macs and waiting on the Wolf system via Humber and Poland.  

Anyone going to Speed Week?

Walt_M.

No Daytona for me, too crowded. Can't see why the harley guys go, harley hasn't won anything but their own little slow race in over 30 years. I put another 50 miles on my 'V' last Friday, sure was a pretty day, the bike did great. I'm getting a set of the Euro gears from Humber. I kind of hate to take the bike down to install them right now, I might wait until summer when it gets too hot to ride.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

Sorry , its NEVER too hot to ride! ;D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Walt_M.

Only those who have experienced summer in Florida are qualified to make such a statement, and most will not. Something about 'mad dogs and Englishmen' comes to mind. And, if you are interested, I have an air-conditioned workshop.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

No, I have never ridden in Fla. in the summer, but I spent  31  years riding in southern CA. both on the street and in the desert. We would start riding  Night TT races after July 4th with occasional trail rides in the mountains untill  the end of  September. As for street riding I never layed off .
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

GAJim

it may be cliche but its not the heat its the humidity

Walt_M.

Also referred to as 'the air you can wear'. You step out of the house in the morning and it is like stepping into a warm bath! I have seen bumper stickers in July that say 'It's not the heat, it's the stupidity!'
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

Sounds like summer in MN, 90% at 90.deg.
Rick G

h2olawyer

Feels great to live in a semi-arid climate.  Along the front range in Colorado, its normally between 15 - 40% humidity.  Guess that's why I haven't experienced the corrosion problems that seem so prevalent on older bikes and especially Visions!  Still, I don't care where you are, 95 degrees is HOT.  The humidity just makes it more uncomfortable.

Hope to get out for a ride this week.  Supposed to be in the mid to upper 60's all week.  Started the V this weekend - took lots of throttle twisting even with the petcock on Prime but it started, idled and ran well once it got enough fuel.  Thanks to my parents for the great Battery Tender Jr. for Xmas! :) Spring riding here is a bit dicey since there's a fair amount of sand used during and after snowstorms.  Around town isn't a problem but all the good roads into the foothills have some blind corners that are often covered in sand until late April or early May.  Guess there's good & bad points about riding anywhere we live.
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.