Main Menu

computer help

Started by ps2/bikevision, May 14, 2007, 06:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ps2/bikevision

ok so i went with ca anti virus and now my computer is freezing up at start up. Ive got mobil web on my phone but i cant get on there web site with it to get a tech. Support number.
anyone know how to go about fixing this. Or can someone go to CA Anti virus. Just google it. There should be a 24/7 tech support number some where on there.

ill check back in a bit. Dog training today.

YellowJacket!

Boot into safe mode (keep hitting F8 WHILE BOOTING)  Then uninstall it.  Try the free Avast or AVG antivirus.  Much much better.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

I had the free CA antivirus/firewall download from Road Runner. We have McAffee at work and I now have it on a new computer... I like it.. CA gave me probs, Norton probs... AcAffee seems to work for me...

anyway 877-694-8509 might get you started... have your product key handy  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

ps2/bikevision

thanks. Think ill call and see if i can cancel and go with agv. Free is good. Should of read my other post before i downloaded CA.

ps2/bikevision

thanks guys your a big help. computer is now back up and running. i dont really know what was the cause of it all because i cleaned out a few other files while i was in safe mode.   

btw anyone know how to get into the start up folder. i used to know but cant remember anymore. i need to take a few things off of there. i have to wait like 20 min for the dang thing to load up. i dont need to open all that stuff up. what can i take off of there and what do i have to keep.

inanecathode

msconfig in the run menu i think...
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

YellowJacket!

Quote from: inanecathode on May 14, 2007, 09:47:25 PM
msconfig in the run menu i think...

Thats correct.

Click Start, then on run and type in msconfig.

Once in msconfig, don't go spelunking into the other tabs.  Stick with the "start up" tab.  Also, make sure on the first tab you choose "selective startup".  You will also need to rebooot for changes to take effect.  When you reboot, you will get a dialog box telling you that you are in maintenance mode or something.  just click the checkbox to not tell you again and click ok.
also, while in msconfig - startup, if you see something that you are not sure of, google it.  Lots of things have funky names and confuse me sometimes. In that case, google is my friend.

David

dj

Quote from: ps2 on May 14, 2007, 08:30:50 PM
i have to wait like 20 min for the dang thing to load up.

PS2 - what type of computer do you have?  Do you know the specs of the system.  If it takes that long to boot up it sounds like there is some serious RAM issues (NOT ENOUGH).  If you don't know the specs then right click on your My Computer icon and click on properties.  The first tab should show some basic information on the computer such as operating system, cpu speed, amount of RAM...

Check on this and let me know what the cpu speed is, ram amount and O.S. as your computer might just need some more RAM.  Inexpensive way of greatly improving your computers speed.  You can have the best processor, but if there is very little ram that your computer will run like a dinosaur.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

YellowJacket!

Quote from: dj on May 15, 2007, 07:30:31 AM

PS2 - what type of computer do you have?  Do you know the specs of the system.  If it takes that long to boot up it sounds like there is some serious RAM issues (NOT ENOUGH).  If you don't know the specs then right click on your My Computer icon and click on properties.  The first tab should show some basic information on the computer such as operating system, cpu speed, amount of RAM...

Check on this and let me know what the cpu speed is, ram amount and O.S. as your computer might just need some more RAM.  Inexpensive way of greatly improving your computers speed.  You can have the best processor, but if there is very little ram that your computer will run like a dinosaur.

Good point DJ.

Its something I do every time I sit down at someones computer to work on it.  But, because its habit, I didn't mention it.  my bad.  ;D

David

dj

Quote from: DaveTN on May 15, 2007, 09:38:59 AM

Good point DJ.

Its something I do every time I sit down at someones computer to work on it.  But, because its habit, I didn't mention it.  my bad.  ;D

David

I've been fixing computers for about 10 years and building computers for about 8 years.  One of the major problems with off the shelf systems are that they usually have a bare minimum amount of RAM in them and the RAM is usually junk to begin with.  When ever anyone of my friends or family buy a computer I have them get new RAM for it (never has cost them more then 75 bucks) and the computer runs 2-3 times faster with a proper amount of RAM (512 Mb) and decent latency numbers.  I always buy all my stuff from Newegg.com.  Great prices and great service.  Not a plug for the company, but I just love dealing with them.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

YellowJacket!

I'll second your vote for newegg.  I have had my computer business for 13 years.  Believe it or not, I used to think that Tigerdirect was the best.  UGGGHHHH.  never again.  :o
For winxp, I recomend nothing less than 512, more if the system uses shared memory with the video.  For Vista, no less than 1 gig.  (just a thought.... my first real PC had a voluminous 200mb HDD and 2mb RAM and that was all I'd ever need.  I still have it and its hapily running win 3.11  :o  )

Having more memory is like having a set of clean carbs... you can't go wrong.

David

dj

Quote from: DaveTN on May 15, 2007, 10:16:10 AM
I'll second your vote for newegg.  I have had my computer business for 13 years.  Believe it or not, I used to think that Tigerdirect was the best.  UGGGHHHH.  never again.  :o
For winxp, I recomend nothing less than 512, more if the system uses shared memory with the video.  For Vista, no less than 1 gig.  (just a thought.... my first real PC had a voluminous 200mb HDD and 2mb RAM and that was all I'd ever need.  I still have it and its hapily running win 3.11  :o  )

Having more memory is like having a set of clean carbs... you can't go wrong.

David

Win 3.11!  I barely remember that.  Did you ever do anything with Basic or QBasic for programming?  I have forgotten so much about using the DOS prompt since XP came out and changed everything for the syntax.   >:(

Usually if there is integrated graphics I'll set the computer up with at least 1 Gb of dual channel memory (if the motherboard will allow dual channel).  It seems to make things run a lot smoother as it can access both dimms at the same time.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

YellowJacket!

Waayyyyyy back in the late 70's my dad brought home a Commodore PET "Personal Computer".  It had a green screen, 64k of memory and a casette tape drive.  It also had a flat touch sensitive keyboard and was way before the mouse was even a glimmer in the eye of IBM.  There were no programs for it but my dad had a book about BASIC programming and thats where I started....and pretty much ended.  I never really got the knack for programming...my brother did though.  He's like a genious Oracle DBA that knows it inside out up and down.  I rather, bacame the "hardware guy".  I do lots of software troubleshooting though, just not programming.  Not even web design, which I'm asked to do often.  I figured I'd learned too much already and have to keep a few brain cells in recieve mode for my future career path that I'm working on.
My dad still has the Commodore PET and the last I remember, it will still boot up.
I still have a couple 8086's in my attic that I never got around to "recycling".  I think one of them has a 20mb HDD in it.  I think its time to clean house though.  Between Vision parts and computer parts, my rather large workshop is a bit crampped.  ;D

David

dj

Dave - I feel your pain on the computer parts issue.  I have enough spare parts (all old stuff) to make about 3 machines.  Granted they would look like Frankenstien, but I could get them working.   ;D

I am definetely a hardware guy.  I have dealing with software, even though that is usually the problems that my dad has on his computer.  I am basically my parents IT guy.  When my dad messes something up on the computer I get a phone call at night and walk them through how to fix it over the phone.  If he really messes it up I have make sure to dig into it when I visit them.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

YellowJacket!

wow... only three.  ;D

Yup, same here too.  Computers bind family ties.  Built systems for my parents and in-laws.  Lots of free tech support calls.

David

dj

Quote from: DaveTN on May 15, 2007, 12:43:22 PM
wow... only three.  ;D

I had to cut back on my "on hand stock" as the wife didn't like it hanging around in the attic!  ::) I keep telling her that I am not a pack rat, but she doesn't believe me.  I guess I am still in the denial phase!
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

ps2/bikevision

this is what i got

AMD Althon(tm) XP 3000+
2.10 GHz, 448MB of RAM

c:/ free space 53.5 GB, total size 68.7 GB

wow. my old computer had an AMD ?, with 80 GB hard drive. and way more ram than this thing. plus alot less crap on it.

dj

this is what i got

AMD Althon(tm) XP 3000+
2.10 GHz, 448MB of RAM
c:/ free space 53.5 GB, total size 68.7 GB

That is a okay processor, not great but still okay.
448 Mb of RAM that means that you have integrated graphics, it is stealing a chunk of your memory.  You probably only have 1 stick of RAM on the motherboard.  You would be able to get another stick of memory (if you can match the brand and speed) for 25-30 dollars (maybe more) or you would be able to buy a 1 Gb kit (2 x 512 Mb) for around 75-90 dollars on newegg.  You may also want to look into getting a secondary Harddrive in that computer as a 70Gb hard drive is pretty small.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

YellowJacket!

448mb RAM, most likely you have 512, but 64mb is being "shared" by your video chip.  I dont say video "card" because you probably have the video built into the motherboard.  Anyway, with XP, a relatively inexpensive upgrade to 1 gig of ram will do wonders.  Just make sure you get the right type of RAM.  There is all kinds and speeds but you have to be sure to match it up correctly.  Stay away from ebay froram too.  I got screwed.  Got 2 gigs of DDR2 PC667 for $120.00 (when that was a really good price) and both were DOA.  Seller would not honor her "3 day no DOA" since the clock started ticking when I paid with paypal.  It took her a  week to ship it so her "warranty" was over before I even got the product.  I filed a paypal complaint 3 months ago and I am still in arbitration and will probably only get 1/2 of my money back.  Hmmmm  I do have her home address though in california......

Anyway, back on topic.  RAM will help.  Main thing is though to get things cleaned up, get a few good virus scans done and use several (Spybot search and destroy, Lavasofts adaware se, and AVG antispyware - all free) anti spyware programs to get things cleaned up.
DO NOT trust popups that tell you "your system is infected...click here to download tools to remove the infection".  Its a trojan virus  that 1. ends up with your credit card info when you "buy" the license and 2. loads more spyware.  Its a particularly pesky bugger to remove too.  It tells everyone they have the same 30 or so "infections".  The actual name of the virus/trojan is smitfraud.

You also have the same CPU I have.  Its a bit old but a great cpu none the less.

David

YellowJacket!

dj,

arent you supposed to be "working"?  ;D  ;D  :D

David