News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Opinions on mac exhaust

Started by Chivo1944, April 20, 2008, 11:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

What's wrong with your stock pipes again? Are they just leaking at the manifolds or am i missing somehing  ???
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Chivo1944

i just dont have the exhaust gaskets for them i need all the gaskets and instead of buying those since i dont really like the factory exhaust im just gonna buy some macs i only have about 550 including the purchase price included so im down with spending some extra cash for some loud exhaust
Ben

'82    Yamaha XZ550 RJ Vision

motorcyclezen

Wow. in the early '60s I was a kid watching the Flat tracks and TTs at Ascot Park. I have Macs on my Vision. I love 'em--the look and the sound. The kids on the block love 'em, and the adults are equally divided, the men love 'em and the women hate 'em. When I fire the bike up, the kids always jump. Can't beat the price. Can't compare them to anything, since they're all I've had on the bike.

Ascot. Beezers, Triumphs, Matchlesses--those were the days. When I was 13, I had a Honda that the former owner used to race out there: frame extended, big chrome megaphone. Very sweet.

Ed--

kwells

ah the intoxication of the Mac
really it isn't the best of sounds for a small V twin
but it does make me chuckle when car alarms go off.
It certainly is an addition of character to any Vision but you will find it too loud in situations where u want to be quiet.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Chivo1944

i dont have any need to keep it quiet if im really that worried about the noise i can just drive my truck but since my dad has a harley with exhaust i can literaly hear nearly 3 blocks away im not worrie about the sound on mine
Ben

'82    Yamaha XZ550 RJ Vision

Lucky

Quote from: kwells on April 23, 2008, 01:24:15 PM
ah the intoxication of the Mac
really it isn't the best of sounds for a small V twin
but it does make me chuckle when car alarms go off.
It certainly is an addition of character to any Vision but you will find it too loud in situations where u want to be quiet.

Ain't no car alarms 'round here...we gots dogs watchin those tractors & such...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

I found on Tractor, last year, the MACs are extremely loud if you don't have the carbs tuned properly.  Once they are correctly adjusted & synched, the pipes are much quieter (relatively speaking).  Still too loud for many suburban neighborhoods around here.  Glad I'm a short hop to a major thoroughfare that takes me right out of town - it minimizes the time spent annoying others.

H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

Interesting thought...
the times I have been riding with Lucky, if we are both cruising at the same speed and RPM, its a really cool sound....kinda like a WW II fighter....
My shifting is a bit different than his so during acceleration we are both out of sync.

Your right about suburbs though.  Laving for work in the morning at 6am on YJ is probably a bit annoying.  But cruising along, she is pretty sedate.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick G

I rode with a visionary in Mn . who also had Macs and the sound of  two running in cadence  was really neat.
They will run quieter , if you don't advance the loud handle very much. Its the one on the right handle bar  that rotates toward you .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

gph

I was thinking about the Macs as well but came across a set of Spec 2s. Has anyone had experience with those? Is it nessecary to rejet?

Lucky

I had a set of SpecII's but never installed them. (i gave them to Ed Hoyle, as well as a parts bike when i moved, had to reduce weight)as i understand it, they do require rejetting, & i don't believe they are very loud.

i'm looking for lighter pipes for my Cafe bike & would be interested in the Specs if you decide your not. p.m. me with a price if so, so i can budget for it, or perhaps barter?

--Lucky

gph

I think I am going to go for them but the jetting has me wondering if larger jets are available.

Lucky

not sure if you have to go fatter or leaner, but they hould be ava at most dealers. they are plane jane mikuni's...  the trick will be getting them set up properly...

gph

There is a pretty good dealer here. I'll see what they have. Incidently, I was looking at your site and at one time you had a diagram on a sycn tool made of tube. Seems to have been replaced by the gauge. I will let you know about the Specs.