News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

September Ride in Syracuse pls RSVP if you can

Started by Night Vision, July 02, 2007, 08:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonm.

The following is not my usual technical info. So be prepared.
  Riding for me is an addiction. "It's 'the fix' that gets me going", as any addicted person would say about any vice. This time was one "high" I won't forget.   After logging over 300k on my bikes. This was the best 630 miles I have had in the saddle in a long time.  And the hospitality was the best. Great to get people together with the same interests & goals in mind=>keep the Vision alive and "ride it to have fun". And we all did it with a smile. ;D...Have to do it again !

looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Brian_Matthewson

Getting to see all those V's and their owners was great and Dave & Robin's hospitality was superb!! Thanks again!
My post-weekend was...interesting. I had planned to go east then north on Sunday but to try to avoid the rain I went north then east and arrived at Saranac Lake Sunday night. It rained for all but an hour for that day so the rain avoidance plan didn't work too well. By the way, Alpinestar boots (not sure of the model) are not rainproof if subjected to extensive rain.
Started up Monday AM...hmmm...did the starter crank a little slower than it usually does? Maybe I imagined it. Stopped after 15 mins to put on rain jacket to try to stay warm...went to restart...click..click..DAMN!! This was in the middle of the State Park on route 3. After about 30 minutes a couple on a Harley(!!!) stopped to see if I needed help...a historical moment! Since I had been suspecting my battery was failing for the last week or so (it's 3+ years old), I leapt to the conclusion it had finally given up. The guy gave me a ride back to Saranac Lake & I bought a new battery. Went back & installed it...click...click..again...more DAMN!!!
I always carry Lucky's starting trouble shooting guide with me so I followed it & concluded it was a starter problem. The Harley folks went back to Saranac Lake & sent AAA to tow me to the nearest dealer (no cell phone coverage)...in Plattsburgh, 50 miles away. It's a Harley-Yamaha-Suzuki dealer and they were great! Looked at the bike real quick and fixed it next morning (filthy armature, worn brushes).
From Plattsburgh, I went west towards the Canadian border along route 3. Somewhere in the park, I ran out of gas...my odometer had quit working on Friday so I was relying on best guess as to how much I had left...overestimated in this case by 15 miles. Got some gas at a house near Loon Lake then the bike began to run like crap...I suspect it was old/bad gas. The problem went away when I filled up. Later, going from Watertown to the border on 81 I ran into some of the hardest rain I've ever ridden in, didn't last long but came down in buckets while it lasted. Alpinestars also leak when subjected to heavy rain for a brief period.
Spent last night in Gananoque, came home today on 401, fighting a strong northerly crosswind all the way.

I always view a trip on a 25 year old bike as a bit of an adventure and this one was certainly that! This is the first time the V has failed on the road so I can't complain.

Here's to more 'adventures'!

Brian
1982 Vision rider from 1991 to 2012.

zore

1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Night Vision

wow, Brian... that's some tough luck  :-\

they didn't have any starter rocks around up there  ???

you should have said something while you were here and we could have had the pit crew take a look...

I have a battery tester that analyzes individual cells.... we could have cracked the starter open and cleaned her up too and put in a new seal if needed....

glad to see you made it home and everything worked out ok...

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Sounds like a great time was had by all!  Brian - the journey is always about the stories it generates.  Yours is a good one.  Glad to hear you made it safely home & met some great people along the way (even if they were Harley riders  ::) ).

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian_Matthewson

NV...while I was at your place the potential battery/starter problem wasn't even on my mind, it was so unlikely to be a problem. It surprised me that it went so bad so quickly.
You're right about the pit crew...I can't imagine a better place to have a V looked at than your place last weekend!  :)
1982 Vision rider from 1991 to 2012.

jasonm.

The title of Brian's new book."No odometer"..."a tale about flying by the seat of your pants with wet feet".  ;D
  Now are you going to drill those little holes in the filler neck? Starter...darn I would have traded you my totally rebuilt spare if I was closer.  Glad you are safe and sound.

Night Vision

I'll be drilling the neck holes in all the V's under my care.... and the exhaust drain holes too.

I still like to refill around 100 miles though... makes it easy to check my fuel consumption.... under 2 gallons = more than 50mpg... over 2 gallons.... under 50.... have a smoke and take a drink

but, it would be nice to know I could go 175 or even 200 without ruining the wax job
;D

Kenny

Hi all,
   Just wanted to let you know that I did drill the filler neck on D's vision & I'm kickin my Butt for not doing it earlier. No over flows at all & I can get a decent amount of fuel in the baby.
  Just one more thing JasonM did you paint those indicator needles yet?
               Cheers Ken S ;) ;D
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Night Vision

woohoo... looks like I'll be getting my tank repainted....after I drill it.

After seeing Joe's and CndLouie's BlackBeauts... I'm jealous   :'(

we have a pic of all black V's on the starting line....mine, little blaster, Joe and CndLouie... the rest had to fall back in line .... I got the holeshot! because no one knew where we were going! hahaha
;D

Tiger

Quote from: Kenny on September 16, 2007, 09:42:16 PM
Just wanted to let you know that I did drill the filler neck on D's vision 

Just one more thing JasonM did you paint those indicator needles yet?
               Cheers Ken S ;) ;D

8).Drilled my gas tank over the weekend, works well 8) 8)

RE: paint those indicator needles...I think I've started a new craze ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I pulled the back off of my gauges, before going to Syracuse, to replace the rev counter. While in there I took a RED marker pen and ran it over the speedo and rev counter needle's as well as the faded red bit's and at each numbered speed point on the speedo...It makes for easier recognition while riding...honest officer!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

jasonm.

my '82 I used to have I did it to the temp needle. But my '83...I am in no hurry to paint them. Maybe when I get an itch I'll do it. But I guess you all should then paint the red and green bits to look as good as mine...?  If yours are not faded. Protect them by covering the gauges with a cloth when parked outside. Mine still look like new. ;D