News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Why can't I LOCK the forks?

Started by vadasz1, June 02, 2008, 12:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vadasz1

I can't understand why I can't lock the forks with the ignition switch.  I've tried with the forks to either left or right full lock and then press down on the key and try to turn it to LOCK but to no avail.  Has anyone gone thru this?  Should I worry about it, because someone might want to steal my precious Vision? ::)  Or just forget about it and live with it.

The key doesn't want to turn past the OFF position, so LOCK and PARK are not useable right now.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

YellowJacket!

mines a bit tricky too.  Just make sure you turn the key to lock and not park which I did.  Make sure your lights are off....speaking from experience here.  Key comes out lights stay on....bike doesn't start 3 hours later.  DOH!  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

inanecathode

Dont push down and turn, you dont have to push down and turn.
Push it down once to free things up, then just turn it. It should go.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

vadasz1

Well I finaly figured how to do it.  The idiots ;D who wrote the manual forgot to mention that once the bike is over 25 years old then you have to wiggle the crap out of it while trying to turn it to the left.  It even goes to the PARK position. 

So if anyone else has this problem just push down the key and then as you are turning it left wiggle it back and forth in the ignition switch until it actually turns to the left.

Sort of like my father-in-laws 96 S-10, you can take the key out while the motor is still running.  Hell, I've even started the damned thing with no key in the cylinder.  It's so worn that it turns forward with no key, so if you lose the key you can still drive it.

"HONEST OFFICER, I LOST THE KEY ! !" ::)
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

QBS

Lubricate with spray can white lithium grease.  Declare victory.

Walt_M.

Please don't say anyone is putting anything besides powdered graphite into a key lock! It might work today but it WILL be junk at some future point. Ask any locksmith. Ok to lube the bolt that locks the steering stem with grease, just not the lock.
Whale oil beef hooked!

inanecathode

Thats what i did, grease that bolt.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Rick G

During my third career ,in property management , I received some lock smith training. The instructors  policy , was put nothing in a lock . if you must , put graphite in , ONLY ONCE and if your in doubt if it has received graphite before, don't apply any. 
I have cheated , on occasion by squirting a bit of LPS 2in the lock.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

PwrManDan

Guys, I know this is old, but I am trying to catch up on reading.  And just in case I can contribute I will....

The first question I have, is that the original key?  In the world today, you can go to any store like WalMart, Lowes, Target, KMart, etc.... and have a key made.  Someone showed them how to make a key but did anyone tell them how the key cutter works?  Keep in mind that over the years as keys wear, copies are not as accurate, and making a copy of a copy does not increase your chances of success.  If you have an original key, make copies from that.

My other question; once you finally get the key to turn, is it hard to turn?  Graphite or Litium doesn't change the way the tumblers operate unless there is some real problem with corrosion inside the cam or cylider itself.  That being said, too much graphite I would imagine, but don't know for sure... could bind tumblers.

Keys are supposed to be unique, so treat them with love and they will work for you.

Pwrs