OUCH OUCH OUCH! (Gas prices)

Started by Blake, August 30, 2005, 08:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

So this morning im driving around.. seemed gas prices were going down here in blacksburg virginia.  couple days ago it was about $2.69 average for premium (what i put in my cadillac and the vision) but past couple days ive been seeing $2.65 and even a $2.63.  A friend calls me up an hour ago (7pm) says he just paid $3.10 a gallon for premium here in SW Virginia! (Regular is $2.89!)   Luckily not all of the stations had switched to the new gas prices yet so i found one that was still $2.65 and filled up my 30 gallon tank on the caddy (took 26 gallons), and vowed to myself i would never pay over 3 dollars a gallon! (in the caddy at least)..stupid big blocks.

So needless to say, tomorrow morning i'll be rejetting the bike, and will be riding that from now on.   Winter you say? no problem.  That's why i brought my snow mobile suit!

But seriously.  $3.00 a gallon in RURAL virginia?  Expensive gas is exactly why i never wanted to move to California.  You always hear "gas topped $3.25 today in los angelas.."...

Wow... That's all i can say.   3 hours and 50 cents.   :'( :'( :'(

:'(Blake :'(
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

glennw

Come on dude... $3.05 for regular in Santa Barbara
I can see oil wells off the coast....
(it was $2.77 yesterday)
GlennW
Half Mad Max

crackerkorean

I am kinda glad I got rid of my favorite car to date. 99 BMW 528i w/ 5sp   premium gas @ 24miles per gallon. Granted there are things with worse gas milage but I drive 60miles a day.

Now I drive a honda civic( the car sucks ) but it gets 35+ MPG on the cheap stuff.

I am glad I have the civic now.

silicon_toad2000

dudes, be thankfull. we're paying $1.30 for normal fuel for 1 litre, now given that there is approx 4.5 litres in a gallon and our exchange rate is about 70c to your dollar, we're paying over 4 dollars a gallon for normal fuel. your prices around 2.50 per gallon is only a little more than what we pay for LPG. I'm pretty happy with our family car, gets about 30mpg on LPG.
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

Lead_Deficiency

98 cents/litre yesterday (AUG 30)
115 cents/litre today (AUG 31)

hfarley

Here in NJ it was $2.85/gal yesterday. Didn't look at what it was today.  When it gets low I fill up all of my Spare gas cans and top off from them when needed. I just dstore them in the shed until we use them for the mower or whatever. Helps out a little at least.
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

Superfly

Yeah Los Angeles gas prices suck... I just paid 2.85 for the cheapie stuff (in my car)
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Blake

wow... seems this hurricane really is hitting.

since last night it went up another 15-20 cents.  cheapest i've seen for 87 is 2.93, premium topped $3.15 within the past couple hours.

"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

crackerkorean

On the way home from work my wife saw one place that the cheap stuff was going for 3.26

Lucky

yup, it was $2.63 yesterday, i overheard one gas station manager tell his employee it was going up tomorrow (wed)  this morning it was $3.28. glad i filled everything last night.  also glad i don't heat with oil!!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

squid

well it was 97.7cents a litre here untill about 6, then it jumped to $1.24.9 for regular!!,,,,,did someone sneeze in iraq??

Blake

See, the whole reason its skyrocketing here in North America (mainly in the US) is because of the recent hurricane.  Apparantl it knocked out most, if not all, of the off shore oil rigs (a good number were around New orleans which was hit pretty bad), so in essence the spike is a result of the futures market.  the supply really hasnt changed now, but in a week or so, the oil that was supposed to be produced now wont be on the market then..

what a time for it to hit..

Blake

h2olawyer

Gas went from $2.60 / gal to $2.90 / gal from yesterday to today.  That's for regular.  (85 octane at our elevation).  Add $0.10 per gallon for each grade up.  If prices stay at this level, it may be less expensive to ride the V out to Kingman & stay a couple nights in motels along the way (each direction) than it would be to haul the V in the pickup straight through!  At $2.75 per gallon, the truck would usw nearly $400 worth of gas for the trip.  Haven't figured the V's cost yet but 45 ~ 50 MPG sure beats 13!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

louthepou

Hmm, hmm...

Quick note for my Australian friend:

1 US gallon = 3.8 litres...
it is the Imperial gallon that equals 4.55 litres...
;D

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

squid

well the way i see it,,,3.88 litres to the gallon or 4.4 liters to the gallon,,,,it still sucks lol, but id still pay 3 bucks for a gallon of fuel for my truck, i honestly think its fuel supply line is a fire hose lol, and its unfortunate what happened down south for sure, but reality is fuel has doubled up here within the last year,,and the biggest kicks in the pants for canadians is the metric system ( fuel used to be 45 cents a gallon, when they converted to liters it went to 45 cents a litre) and the crude we do produce from alberta and hibernia, get exported to be refined and sent back to us for more,  ??? ???

Mutt

I took my wife's van to get inspected yesterday afternoon. In the waiting room there was a guy complaining about gas prices in hopes that I was listening. He got my attention is when he says he now pays 18 dollars to fill up his motorcycle. He says he could get a small car that would get better gas mileage than his bike. Turns out he has a hyabusa. I guess hyabusa's have become the SUVs of the motorcycle world. Wonder if he'll turn loose of it real cheap? :)
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

YellowJacket!

we have one local station that is at 2.99 still while most have gone to 3.29 or higher.  Guess where the long lines are.  Also many of our local stations are putting up "no Gas" signs.

The irony about riding my vision now is that it cost the same to fill my V now as it did my car last year!!!

Those damn greedy oil bastards!  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

silicon_toad2000

ahh hah, there you go, its not quite as bad as i first thought. I still remeber seeing petrol for 35 cents a litre when i was a little tacker. back when milk came in glass bottles and it was home delivered. I'm only 28 and im allready bitching how good it used to be, im going to be a real grump old buger when im old
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

hfarley

Well Yesterday the prices just jumped here in NJ. They went up to $3.10/gal for regular. I can't beleive that we now have to pay over $3.00 a gallon for gas. I can remember when gas was .99 cents a gallon and I am only 30 years old. This sucks!
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

ProfessorRex

Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...