News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

OUCH OUCH OUCH! (Gas prices)

Started by Blake, August 30, 2005, 08:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiawrench

Gas ,,, hmmm, liquid heartburn   
  Gas here was 2.40 for regular at one station, to a high price of 245 at a full service pump. then, in one day , the average was 3.58 for regular, 4.5 0 for high test. the full service station was closed . Lucky for use , the state attorney general's office has already stepped in, and within hours, prices had dropped to 3.20 for regular and 3.44 for high test.   Still high, but better than it was going.
  The problem isnt just offshore well rigs. there are refineries that cant operate due to power outages, pump stations and the time it will take for other ares to try to cover the loss in produtction is sort of goofy, it takes a week to up production by just 5 percent. cant really rush a refinery processor
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

squid

its $1.45.7 for a litre of high test (94octane) so a gallon of that liquid gold is $6.41... i remember when gas was 40 cents a litre, and im only 28,, i think i may just have the first vision converted to lpg, or natural gas lol,,, its only 67 cent a litre lmao,, hope the gas prices come down soon,,just think,, its not only fuel that is going up,,,,think about all the other things crude oil is used for,,,plastics for example,,,packaging will go up..so will food,,shipping costs, its a vicious circle,,,hope this is only temporary

h2olawyer

These high prices should be temporary.  However, worldwide demand for crude is high & rising.  China's economy grew by 13% last year.  (or so I've read)  They are manufacturing more, producing more cars & their citizens are increasingly able to afford driving autos.  India's economy is also booming.  When you have about half the world's population involved in strong economic & manufacturing growth, it will put upward pressure on oil prices.

The problem in North America is that Katrina knocked out oil production on several rigs in the gulf & shut down a ton of refining capability.  As the refineries get back online, prices should come down some.

Don't expect to see $2.00 a gallon anytime soon - if ever again, though.  At this point, I'd be happy to see $2.30 again.  I hate filling the pickup.  38 gallon capacity & I get 13 MPG.   ::)  Glad I only need to fill it once a month.  Sure making me ride the V a lot more, though.   8)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

silicon_toad2000

Ya know I have thought about putting a bike on gas, biggest problem is that fugly gas tank
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

Rick G

The reason for the price hikes is that  20% of the US  refining capacity  is along the Mississippi , and there all flooded!
I remember buying gas  during a gas war in Azusa  CA.  in 1961  for 19. a gallon .
The cheapest entertainment was driving your car!  Wish i could find  some 19.cent gas now  we topped out at  3.18
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

hfarley

The other day I filled up my Hyundai Accent (5 Speed) and it cost me $31.00!!!!! Now I have a very small tank and it is a stick so I get really good gas mileage but come on, that is way to much. I think my husband said it cost him around $50.00 to fill his tank on his Blazer.

On a good note though today driving to work I noticed that gas prices were down from 3. 29 a gallon to 2.99 a gallon. It looks like the prices are finally coming down. Whoo hooo!!
-Heather
Sometimes being insane in an insane world IS being sane

I don't suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!

MotorPlow

Paul_Jungnitsch

I just about put a deposit down the other day on one of these:

http://www.thesmart.ca/index.cfm?ID=4720

My banker talked me out of it for now (lots of student loans to repay), but 75 mpg looks pretty good, especially at 17,400 Cdn for a new car.

Mutt

I believe that's the first rolling casket I've ever seen!  :P

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

silicon_toad2000

#%^&*#% oil companies, the prices haven't dropped in oz, their proffits are up from 9% to 17%... market economy my ring... where's my medication
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

h2olawyer

Quote from: Mutt on September 15, 2005, 06:32:54 PM
I believe that's the first rolling casket I've ever seen!? :P

Mutt

Ever see a YUGO?   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Paul_Jungnitsch

Mutt

Actually more of a rolling safety cage, that's what that silver (or black) thing is. They call it the 'steel walnut' in Germany. And since the cage is very tough, the standard airbags and seatbelt pretensioners make it quite a safe car. One fellow got T-boned at 120 km/hr recently in Alberta by an SUV and was out of the hospital in 2 days.

Here's a few photos of crash tests:

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/Smart_crashtest.html

MotorPlow

h2olawyer

Quote from: MotorPlow on September 15, 2005, 08:45:09 PM
Is that the new Goldwing?

You mean the one with the air bag?  (seriuosly!)

H2O

Mutt

Quote from: h2olawyer on September 15, 2005, 07:26:21 PM

Mutt

Ever see a YUGO?? ?;D

H2O

I stand corrected! That's the second rolling casket.

Forgot about the Yugo. I like the ones with the hand warmer option (widow defroster).

I knew a guy that had a GT Yugo. He hit a concrete barrier smack dab in the middle of the front. The little car still ran but the light beams crossed each other at night. Another funny thing about this guy, he had a parrot that rode around with him perched on top of the passenger side seat. The seat was always full of crap from that stupid bird.

I read somewhere the Yugo engine was from fiat and was never designed to go over 55MPH. Guess that's why they all died so quickly.

Mutt

Mutt

Quote from: Paul_Jungnitsch on September 15, 2005, 07:45:57 PM
Mutt

Actually more of a rolling safety cage, that's what that silver (or black) thing is. They call it the 'steel walnut' in Germany. And since the cage is very tough, the standard airbags and seatbelt pretensioners make it quite a safe car. One fellow got T-boned at 120 km/hr recently in Alberta by an SUV and was out of the hospital in 2 days.

Here's a few photos of crash tests:

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/Smart_crashtest.html

Actually the crash test is quite impressive given the size. The dummy is encapsulated in the cockpit.

It's just a funny looking car to me. If I were behind it getting ready to stop for a light, I would expect about 15 clowns to come pouring out, run around the car, then get back in again.  :D

Mutt

Paul_Jungnitsch

Heh, seemed like everytime I went to Europe and saw one for the first time I had to take a picture of it, preferably with someone standing beside. They are a bit of a sight.

Mutt

Yea, you know I laugh now but I may be eating crow if gas prices reach 3.00 a gallon next year. My neighborhood is already full of Ford Focus and Civics. It's not uncommon to see a full size pickup/suv in the driveway and a focus or other small car parked right beside it. Vanity takes a hit when you have to adjust your budget!

Mutt