Grips on 82 Vision

Started by helmsman65, May 14, 2003, 07:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helmsman65

Almost hate to post about something so minor given the more significant problems covered on this forum but sometimes the smallest things cause the biggest headaches.  Finally getting around to some upgrades on my 82 Vision and most are going well but tonight I destroyed several sets of grips, including the ones that were on the bike, while trying to change to a thicker set.  The trouble was with the throttle side.  I purchased several sets as recommeded in previous posts.  If anyone has any tricks to this, I would appreciate the info.....I am sure there are a few...I must have known at least one in 1982 cause I dont remember having this much trouble changing grips on my first bike.
    I have read that several owners have changed out the stock fork springs with Progressive springs....does this make a noticable difference in front end stability?
    Thanks for the help.....

Rick G

I remove  the "spurs" on the end of the throttle tube, either file or cut  them off with a fine saw. cut parilell   to the tube . Then spray the inside of both grips with hair spray and quickly install them . the hair spray acts as a lubricant  and after it dries, a adhesive.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Humber

Yesterday, I installed hot grips, I didn't have any problems with removing old ones and I didn't have to cut or destroy anything.

I noticed that my new grips are I would say more tight.... probably if I wanted to remove them then I would have a lot of problems.... cutting drops out since I don' want to destroy them. MOreover, in spite of using a lubricant (hope it won't dry and lock them) there were so tight that I had to strike them with a hammer.....

As for removing, I had this problem with my old MZ and as you I didn't want to destroy or the grips. So, I put drive bars into the boiling water and kept them there for about 6 minutes... after that I was able to remove them without any effort or cutting... hope this will help you... (and me when I need to remove my hot ones...)

bye
nie ma podpis?w

sgrprincees

I haven't tried using hairspray on my Vision, but I have used it on several bicycles.  You can also use the hairspray as a lubricant to get the grips off if you pry the edge up with a screwdriver, then try to slide the grip around a bit to spread it around.  Rick's method for getting them on sounds good.

gbranche

I've used just plain ol' soapy water in the past, and it's worked pretty well for both removal and installation.

Greg