Restoring rubber parts, etc...

Started by Leather, June 06, 2002, 11:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leather

The question was:
"Anyone have any tips on restoring "greyed" (weathered)rubber such as brake and clutch lever boots, mirror boots and driveshaft boots?"  (lucky)

Here are some suggestions ... "IN ORDER":

#1:  If you "WERE" a model airplane buildr in the last century you would use "GYLERYN" to soak the rubber bands in ..... so you could wind the prop up 400 hundred times (no joke).  The secret here is that glycerin is the ultimate preservative for rubber.  BAR NONE!!  Look at all the products. They are either "Gylycerin" based or something else.

Example:  Zymol is glycerin based

You can buy PURE GYLCERYN" at any good food store or drug store!!

#2.  Auto Store products:

"Black Magic" my favorite.  Thick and Lasting

"Black Again"  Another good thick product

"Wd-40"

"Pure Silican"

"Boe-Shield" Marine Product

#3.  If the question REALLY is getting the white off and  black in.....   TOUGH QUESTION.  The white comes from sun or WORSE wax application. Once wax gets into the pores of rubber........ GOOD LUCK!?! It creates a white film that is VERY hard to get out.  Basically... VERY tough to get rid of. I would Black Magic..... every day!!!

#4.  WD-40 is GOOD.  But won't change appearance.

#5: Pure Silican spray is good for rubber  but very hard to find now and won't change appearance.

Lets face it.  Rubber is tough.  If you haven't figured it out yet .... let me spell it out..  

ITS THE SUN.

Yep.  Keep the sun off rubber and lube it once in a while and it will last forever.  Sun is the killer of ALL things Rubber/Vinyl/Plastic.

STAY OUT OF THE SUN   (.... what ... ?  ... )

Yep.  Keep garaged or covered.  That's the bottom line.  Soak up the pain.

- Leather
Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell out of the way.

Tim

Lemon oil on vinyl works great as a preservative ,it may work on rubber as well.

Tim