Hippo Hands?

Started by DS, December 16, 2009, 10:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DS

I am looking to get a pair of Hippo Hands for cold weather riding. Does anyone know what size will fit the Vision? They seem like they might be an expensive but good investment.

QBS

The size that fit the V are the size that are in my garage.

artbone

Do they still make those things? I gave away a pair that had been on a shelf in my closet for years. They worked really well the few times I used them but, in GA where I lived at the time, it almost never got cold enough to use them. One time I was using them and had on heavy gloves and my hands started to sweat. They really work well, much better than heated grips or elec gloves.
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

QBS

Don't think they are made anymore.  I agree that they are excellent in the cold.  Hippo hands and light gloves will take you down to well below 30F.

My Hippo Hands are in excellent to good condition, and for sale.

Tiger

:) Try your local snowmobile/ATV dealer for same/similar type of hand warmer products ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Spotty69

They haven't been made by Vetter in years.  Now that the company is part of Bell (or was).  Their hasn't been a Vetter fairing or any vetter products in years.  They are now very rare.

Lucky

what are you all talking about? they still make 'em:
http://www.hippohands.com/
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Spotty69

Wow!  I learn something new every day!  I remeber Craig Vetter desiging the first pair of hippo hands, and I know someone who has a pair of hippo hands still in the box with the Vetter name stamped on it.  Someone must have bought the rights then.  I am going to bookmark this link.

nwrider

One cautionary note:  At speed the pressure from the Hippo Hands may push on your brake lever, causing slight front brake drag/brake light to come on.  A simple fix is installation of hand savers aka dirt bike bars that protect your hands from branches etc.  I wish I still had my Hippo Hands, they are fantastic!
First dirt: Hodaka Ace 100B
First street: Honda 150 Dream
First racer: '86 Honda 500 Interceptor
Most memorable:Kawasaki 350 triple, GSXR 750 limited edition
Current: '83 Vision

funkamongus

Do the "hands" fit over said bark buster/hand protector, too? Are they that big?
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

nwrider

It's been over 20 years since I had mine....but I do remember a friend of mine used a single metal bar that clamped onto the handlebar and provided finger protection/held the Hippo Hands away from the levers.  It was just slightly further away from the handlebar than the levers.  What I clearly do remember was that on my bike ('79 CB750F, no fairing) the uncomfortable need to constantly press the brake lever against the push from the Hippo Hands. 

The Hippo Hands website offers these brackets to solve the problem  http://www.hippohands.com/hh_brackets.htm
First dirt: Hodaka Ace 100B
First street: Honda 150 Dream
First racer: '86 Honda 500 Interceptor
Most memorable:Kawasaki 350 triple, GSXR 750 limited edition
Current: '83 Vision

inanecathode

I can't see why the average home handyman couldnt make a pair of those in 5 minutes. Neoprene, make a sock, stick it around the bar end.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

artbone

Talking about making a pair, one time I made a pair of hand guards out of 2 milk jugs. I cut out one side, split the area where the cap goes and attached them with two hose clamps. They looked very "Alabama"  :D  but they kept my hands warm for a 150 mile ride.
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650