Forkin' Virago!!!

Started by Tiger, October 12, 2008, 09:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) I had Fiddlesticks down to my place yesterday to replace the fork seals on her '82 750 Virago...a first for me!!!
I did about seven Vision sets last year and two/three so far this year and let me tell you the Vision ones are easier to do...!!!
The hardest part on the Virago's is that they have, (after removing at the top of the forks, a plastic cap covering the schrader air valve)...a metal disc, which has to be depressed about 1/2" to get to a thin wire clip, which you have to get out to remove the metal disc and get onto the inner workings of the forks...What a wee B*****D!!! The manual says to use an assistant to help you...one to hold the upper fork tube in one hand and depress the disc with the other, while the assistant trys to get in and remove the wire clip from the grooved seat!!!!!!!!!!
I'm pleased Fiddlesticks is female as you have to work really close together to achieve success with this operation :o :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... :-*
Anywhoooooo, we persevered and stripped and cleaned ALL the fork components, inside and out, in my wee 3GL parts washer. Once everything was cleaned and blow dried the forks were reassembled using new seal's. I also replaced one of the dust covers, as it was well cracked up and not much use, as well as the 'O' ring seals in the two top caps and replaced the two drain screws/'O' rings at the bottom of the forks. The speedo drive unit, on the front wheel was washed, blow dried and re greased, prior to installation, as were the front wheel bearings and axle. All of the nuts/bolts/washers, etc: Triple tree's, front fender, front axle pinch bolt, cotter pin, etc were also replaced with brand new.
While we were at it, Fid' replaced the front brake lever (having picked up a replacement at the Milton swap/meet last weekend)...the original being bent outward by the previous owner.
Once the Virago was back together and test ran, Fiddlesticks was up and away, on a beautiful, sunny fall day back home...which is approx' a 1 1/2 hour run from my place.

Next up today, (Sunday), is Kev10104 and his '83 Vision that has a really noisy starter clutch...

8).......TIGER....... 8) 
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

sounds like you were a busy beaver this weekend... hope you got to ride some  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on October 12, 2008, 07:52:13 PM
sounds like you were a busy beaver this weekend... hope you got to ride some  ;)

::) Nope and the weather is great!!! But I'll be out and about on "The Mistress" tomorrow for sure... 8)

8).......TIGER........ 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!