News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

another tire question

Started by don_vanecek, June 05, 2009, 12:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

don_vanecek

As the 110/90 Avon on my rear is getting close to the wear out lines, and as I want to try the original size next time, could I buy a 90/90 new, put it on the front, take the 100/90 from the front (remember the Avons are both direction tires) let it finish it's life out on the rear-and of course assuming the front will still be in fine shape when the rear tire is worn out-then I would again put a 110/90 or the rear.

Thoughts????

h2olawyer

You could do that.  The 100/90 doesn't have quite as much weight capacity as the 110/90.  Since budgets are tight, it is one way to get more out of your tires for now.  Just make sure the tires have the bi-directional arrows on them before making that switch.

Personally, I'd probably just replace the rear when it needs it, change the front next Spring (or as soon as the budget allows) to the 90/90 and keep the front you remove, wrapped in plastic & coated in 303 Aerospace Protectant, as a spare, available for emergency use on either front or back.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

I've got the roadriders on both bikes, they work well...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Kenny

Hi Don,
    I have always tried to use Metzlers if I can afford them, they get decent milage and have excellent traction-I suppose this comes from the BMW days.
               !00's on the front & a 120 on the rear.
                                              Keep the tank full Don! 
                                                      Cheers Ken S. 
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

don_vanecek

Well it just so happens that I purchased a new replacement Avon last Saturday, I just put another 110/90-18 on the rear, front is fine yet. Could have used the previous tire just for commuting for another month but I had the opportunity that day and enough money-the dealer had one tire in stock-so I did the deed.  Then with the help of my wonderful older brother we installed this neat little volt meter, time and temperature instrument, sorry I'm at work and although I just went outside and looked at it on the bike I don't see a name on it. This little rectangle (oh, two inches high, five long) will work for me tucked under my little Vetter Bullet, you couldn't put this on a naked bike, it's not waterproof-you would have to put it inside a bag-plus the problem of attaching it. 

YellowJacket!

Bummer.  I have a large nail in the center tread of my rear tire.  My Avon Super venoms are almost new and have lots of tread left.  Gotta save up some $$ for another tire.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Brian Moffet

That makes both your front and rear now, doesn't it?

Night Vision

Quote from: YellowJacket! on June 30, 2009, 05:09:33 PM
Bummer.  I have a large nail in the center tread of my rear tire.  My Avon Super venoms are almost new and have lots of tread left.  Gotta save up some $$ for another tire.

David

hmmm, two nails recently.... have you re-packed your macs lately?

might want to recon your driveway before heading out at 5:00am to work
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

A little OT, but my wife and I headed out to Borders book store the other night and there were two parking spaces next to each other.  I started to pull into one but backed up and chose the other one because the POS car in the space to the left was hugging the line.  When I got out of my car, I stepped on something.  It was a pile of sheetrock screws.  Not just one pile but several.  It looked just tooo suspicious to have been accidental.
Also, several years ago, I found some hollow things that looked like nails in a parking lot in Charleston, SC.  Every one of them was about 1" long, hollow and facing up.  I'd never seen a hollow nail before but someone told me that they looked like leather "grommets" that just hadn't been mashed down.

David

Kid Jedi

hey, stop and go plug kit. do it.

http://www.stopngo.com/

i have ran a rear tire with 2 nails bald with a pair of those plugs riding at 80mph with no problems at all. i get so many nails n crap in my tires it is shocking. in just 2 years i have used up ALL 20 plugs that come with the kit. NEVER had a problem with the plug falling out. when i got piece of shale in my tire i had to use some fix and flat with a plug, but that worked in the end also.

Stop and go.
get one!
Loves to over think things.

YellowJacket!

already have on in the trunk of my car.  Can't be any worse than the nail plugging the hole in the mean time.

David