Rear Shocks

Started by Glyn Pickering, February 24, 2004, 10:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glyn Pickering

Just been talking to an XZ member in NZ and he stated that the 400 rear shock is an improvement over the 550 version.
Has anyone had any experience of this? or using any other type of shock, either after market or from another model?

The shock seems quite enclosed and would seem ??? likely to overheat and loose damping since it hasn't got an external resevoir. Is this the case?  

Cheers

Glyn

Lucky

As Jason says the 82 shocks are a "pogo-Stick"
I don't know about the 400, but in the US, 82's had one spring adjustment (metal ring turned with a spring tool)

The 83's have an additional damping adjustment. it's a black plastic ring turned by hand.

83 shocks are highly prized here, if you have access to a lot of them because 400's have them & their abundent there, then my friend, your sitting on a gold mine, lol
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

As Lucky said 82 shocks arn't damped all that well , as to over heating , I don't think so , in fact I 've never seen one leaking. It may be that the 400 has the 83 style shock, but of coarse we didn't get the 400's in North America, so its your call. 400;s have been reported in  GB, Russia, South Africa , South America and  down under!
 Fox in the US made an after market shock , which is no longer in production.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike