News:

Main Menu

Now I've seen it...........

Started by vadasz1, March 28, 2012, 09:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vadasz1

Someone actually fitted a Vision rear tire with...................

a set of SNOW CHAINS........

http://www.xz550.de/tp3/fileadmin/xz-tour/2011/054.jpg
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

munkyfistfight

That's crazy. My Vision would be useless in the snow. She hates the cold.
Those who play by the book will always be beaten by those who write their own. -Travis Pastrana

AdvRich

That's a nice fit to the tire too. What's the back story or where'd ya find the pic?

Rikugun

Maybe it's not for snow. Maybe it's for fording creeks and trail riding in the Black Forest. Once you get back on tarmac it's easy enough to remove - unlike knobby tires.  ;D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

AdvRich

Quote from: Rikugun on March 28, 2012, 11:18:18 AM
Maybe it's not for snow. Maybe it's for fording creeks and trail riding in the Black Forest. Once you get back on tarmac it's easy enough to remove - unlike knobby tires.  ;D
:laugh:

Sounds like a snow job to me. :D

vadasz1

found the pic on xz550.de in the gallery section IIRC.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

AdvRich

Thanks, I forgot about that link and all the photos and some of the highly modded Vees. Nice variety of crash bars and racks in there too.

Rikugun

Absolutely. Treedragon's fine looking Ducati slayer is in that gallery too.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

fret not

Chains on a motorcycle is usually for hill climbs.  Not sure what else you would use them for. 

One trip over the Donner Summit about 45 years ago I saw a couple bikes (it had snowed) wobbling along the apron through the 3 or 4 inches of snow.  One was a Harley sportster and had chains on the rear wheel.  That must have been one ride through hell for that guy.  We were in a car of course, and going about 25 and the bikes were lucky to be doing 15.  Too slow for good balance, in the snow, with chains, cold, on a cast iron motorcycle . . . . . . .no thank you please. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

AdvRich

Yeah, that was one adventure they'll never forget. 
Here's a link to pics of various wheel chain versions and the range of terrain folks apply them to mixed in with car chain pics
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=aaplw&va=motorcycle+snow+chains