News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Oil Cooler Sandwich Plate

Started by Lead_Deficiency, April 04, 2006, 11:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lead_Deficiency

Anyone be interested ?

I'm looking for a rough number.

h2olawyer

I'd be interested!  I know it was discussed earlier, but the consensus was that it would cause the oil filter cover to stick out too far & possibly get damaged.  Another possibility is a plate that attaches where the oil filter does & has a spin-on filter relocated along the oil cooler line.  Just a thought.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

Well my cooler is already up & running, so i'm all set, but i'll be happy to help any way i can.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Superfly

A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lead_Deficiency

I've been talking to a guy with a machine shop, he makes parts for other yamaha's.  He has a right side case, filter housing and water pump to be able to take measurements from.

The V star 1100 uses the same filter as the vision and there are already relocation kits for it.  I was thinking of leaving the filter in place to keep the price down, I know it would most likely move the filter out about an inch.

smknjoe1964

Kenny

I'm also interested in two & have another idea I woulsdd like to throw in the melting pot. I have never
liked the location of the standard oil filter, so at the same time we are making a spacer plate why not make
a blank with provisions for a  remote spin-on oil  filter.
                                Cheers Ken S     
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Lucky

I had roughed out a sandwich plate in Balsa wood, just because it was easy to work with.  i don't know where it is now, i could have tossed it, it could be some where in my shop, or i may even have sent it to Blake, i really don't remember. i'll keep an eye out for it.

remotely mounting does present the problem of where to put it, keeping protection from rocks & falling in mind.  with a fairing it could be tucked into the lowers.

VisionaryDan

If the price is reasonable I would be interested in two.

Dan

Lucky

designing it is the easy part, especially if it's just a relocation plate, it's the machine work that could get pricy..

Lead_Deficiency

Any one know of a spin on filter that would fit the same footprint at the stock filter w/without the filter housing ?

kiawrench

a fram or valvoline 4459,or 4456 should fit (or be very close. andsince almost every japanese car builder uses those on something, they wont be out of stock anytime soon.
? thing is a spin on will stick the filter out to point where it wont work with fairing,it would have to be a remote plate mount.

i would like to get quote on it,, i keep popping holes in my cooler, so a plate and remote mount would be in my list of new mods-- let me know.
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Lucky

if your thinking of a spin on in the same location as the stock filter it's no where near the fairing, no problem there.  i'm not so sure about crash bars though.

crazyjimmy

I think that an adapter for a spin on filter (on the engine) would be a great idea. Perhaps add  two tapped holes for a oil cooler in the future, if feasible. If there is enough interest the cost should be resonable.
Jim