News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

recommend me a MC boot for next year

Started by don_vanecek, September 23, 2009, 05:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

don_vanecek

OK, question one, to keep with the philsophy of riding for the crash, what kind of boot do I need to protect myself?  I currently generally use two types, one is sort of an ankle high string tie boot that I buy from a company called "shoes for crews" this shoe has a special rather soft rubber cross hatch sole to keep you from slipping on wet, oily tile floors. This boot I will need to continue to use on days when I work my moonlighting job at the local Pizza Hut. I don't think it is high enough however and is a tie string boot really a good boot to use?

If I don't have to go to the hut I need a boot that I can also wear at work, etc. I have been using cowboy boots that I believe have enough height and have the style to wear to most any occasion BUT, do I need to worry about this type of boot coming off in the event of a crash??

Now that my last pair of cowboy boots is coming apart I certainly do expect to payout $100-150 or so for new cowboy boots at the local farm store-but what else might I look into over the winter? No, I don't want to go over $200 plus on this if I can help it.

Ideas, suggestions???

Thanks!

Brian Moffet

Personally, I wear tall hiking boots.  They usually have a good gripping sole, good ankle support and usually have a stiffer section in there to help getting banged around.  This is my standard commute to work boot.  My commute is almost all city travel, rarely seeing more than 40 mph.

Brian

Kid Jedi

pair of heavy duty work boots form redwing. I wnet boot shopping and thoese boots are great if you ride 120+ but for our little visions I think a nice pair of work boots are just dandy.
Loves to over think things.

Kevin

Don I have been wearing Cortech solution  street boots for about 3 years now. I paid about $100.00 for them and when they are wore out I'll look for something similar. K

Lucky

I second the Cortechs, comfy, articulated & easy to put on/off
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

:) I've worn NITRO boots for the past 4 years...renewed this past spring.
A tall, sport style riding boot with shin and calf armour, added heal protection and sliders at the little toe area. Veeeeeeery comfortable riding or walking around in. Paid around $110.00 Canadian.
Nitro have a good range of well priced boots...Well worth a look 8)

Here is the Nitro range...

http://www.thefind.com/apparel/browse-nitro-leather-boots#

and the pair I have...

http://www.dirtbikersden.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=1344

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

kiawrench

Don,
wolverine classic work boots are in easy supply, inexpensive, lace up and are relatively water resistant .you can buy them online starting at 70.00 per pair, with some stores being even cheaper,depending on sales,clearance listings ,etc.
   best selling point of the classic-- no "break -in" time, put them on new and it is like you owned them for ten years .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

don_vanecek

Rick G

I bought a pair of work boots at Payless shoe source , 10 years ago . Been wearing them for riding ever since. They have external metal eye rings and a roller eye just below the 4 open eyes (hooks) at the top.
I'll have to replace them soon, as the finally started coming apart. They were 34.95 , I expect to pay more for the replacements.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

don_vanecek

These are all great ideas, I have printed off a Cortech add which I will give to one of my kids with a note "this would be a great group gift for your father's upcoming BD and X-mas" and see what happens. 

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Kid Jedi

Bata motorcycle sandals, safety you can stand on!
Loves to over think things.

don_vanecek

I think this is what the Harley riders over across the river in Iowa use along with no helmets and cut off tee shirts.

dcsob

Good ol combat boots with lug sole. Always seem a good choice for durability. Plus, they stay on in even the most extreme situations short of a bomb blast. Basic black and easy to care for.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter accusations'

Re-Vision

Was looking at some Corcoran jump boots at the clothing sales store the other day, $120 bucks with or without zipper down the side.  Black or green.  Think the regular combat boots were about $70.  BDC

h2olawyer

All good suggestions.  I love my Alpine Stars S-MX4s.  Comfy, great in heat & cold, well armored and great even off the bike.  Sort of spendy - especially for single duty footwear.  Forget Red Wings - overpriced junk in my opinion.  I had 3 pair wear out in less than one year & I wasn't even using them for tough duty.  The stitching blew out and the leather wore through - same spots in all pairs.  Had much better luck with J.C Penney's boots (at less than half the cost) than the Red Wings - but this was about 25 years ago.  At today's prices, you can get Alpine Stars for the same price as Red Wings anyway.

Boots need to stay on under heavy loads, protect the foot and ankle bones well and preferably cover some of the shin, shielding from low flying projectiles.

I wore basic combat boots for years of riding and they were great - highly recommended.  Cowboy boots tend to have slick soles unless they are true western work boots.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

after having a swimmingly good test of my boots this weekend, I can honestly say that Sidi On Road Gore Tex boots are great.

I bought mine barely used for around $225 and would even pay full price if I had to.

I have several pairs of boots, and these are my new buddies
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano