POLL: What year XZ550 do you have?

Started by RedBaron, December 15, 2011, 11:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What year XZ550 do you have?

33 (68.8%)
8 (16.7%)
Both 82 and 83, I cannot choose, OMG I always had a hard time making decisions, it's so true!
7 (14.6%)
other (Our Euro and other friends who live where they sold them for several more years, the lucky stiffs)
0 (0%)
Who cares? I'm an XZ400 driver, yeah baby!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 48

SBVisionNZ

Mine's bits and pieces - Plum red with touring fairing. Chassis is a 16R #000678, Engine is #000999.
Also have a pair of 400s that have been donors for parts (slotted discs now on 550) but might make up a complete one when I get round to it. the 400s were sold here in EnZed as 1987s but most (if not all) had sat on the wharves at Osaka for a fair old while before someone did a deal to get them here cheap. Even out of the box they were dogs...(working for a Yamaha dealer at the time, we became quite intimate with their infernal issues...).

Cdnlouie

Love my 82 with some customizations and upgrades! The only difference I care for from the 83 is the rear shock (and aftermarkets are likely better) and dual disks (but then the Euro 82 had that anyway), other than that, Yamaha got it right the first time  ;D.

Oh and the stator wire cover piece on the 83 was thoughtful. I understand if you want a bit more performance on the top end that the 83 carbs will do a better job, but then the 82 carbs do better mid-range performance which is where you really use it anyway and much easier to rebuild (and ultimately find parts for).

But hey, I still respect the 83 fans! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

RedBaron

Quote from: Cdnlouie on January 10, 2012, 11:39:31 AM
Love my 82 with some customizations and upgrades! The only difference I care for from the 83 is the rear shock (and aftermarkets are likely better) and dual disks (but then the Euro 82 had that anyway), other than that, Yamaha got it right the first time  ;D.

Oh and the stator wire cover piece on the 83 was thoughtful. I understand if you want a bit more performance on the top end that the 83 carbs will do a better job, but then the 82 carbs do better mid-range performance which is where you really use it anyway and much easier to rebuild (and ultimately find parts for).

But hey, I still respect the 83 fans! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

What he said!

RB
She is a slim and beautiful 82, so true, black and white and red all over!