News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

New Rider

Started by QuixoticJ, July 16, 2007, 09:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuixoticJ

Hi everyone names Johnny. I am so amazed to see an entire community dedicated to this bike it makes me pretty excited. I'm 19 years old and I'm planning to become a rider soon. I don't even have a drivers license yet but I think a bike is definitely for me. I plan to go take the MSF course soon and purchase an 83 Vision from a friend of mine. Again I am very amazed to see an entire community dedicated to the Vision and I hope I to am soon a fellow vision rider. I would appreciate any advice anyone has or tips on being a new rider and or a new vision owner. I am from the Chicago area if any of you are local riders around here let me know. :D

h2olawyer

Welcome to the forum & don't go tilting at windmills on your Vision!

You've got the right idea in taking the MSF course.  Get as much riding gear as you can afford.  Helmet, boots, jacket & gloves are the minimum.  Good pants can save you from painful road rash as well.  When you eventually start riding, remember that you are invisible to most drivers.  Buying bright gear helps your visibility.

The 83 Vision is the rarer of the two years.  You will enjoy it immensely!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

To elaborate on H20s post...you are invisible to MOST, the REST are out to kill you.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

ColinthePilot

I've been riding for over 9 months now and I just took the MSF course last weekend. VERY GOOD IDEA! Helmet is the bare minimum, first thing i bought. Next was the jacket. Listen up in the MSF course. My basic rider skills were #1 or #2 in my class but I learned a lot just listenning to the instructors. Also, read up on the site as far as technical issues with the Vision and find out from your friend what has been fixed and what hasn't. This is a FYI thing, not a deal breaker on the bike. You'll love it regardless. Good luck!
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

QuixoticJ

ya I think he said it needs to have its carbs cleaned or something because it leaks fuel but he is going to check the bike out for me and give me a heads up on what it needs. I'm very excited about getting this bike and a little bit worried since its from 1983 I'm expecting it to have all sorts of problems lol. My friend also says the same thing about everyone on the road trying to kill you haha :D

dj

A vision that has dirty carbs!!!  Wow I don't think anyone here on the forum has ever seen those before.  ;) JK

Try to find out from the current owner if the fuel is coming out the drain line (goes down by the left foot peg) or out the overflow lines (clear tubes coming out the top of the carbs).  If it is the drain line (most common issue for fuel leak) then check the orings on the drain screws.  If the orings are junk then fuel will leak out the drain lines until the tank is empty.  Trust me I know from experience.  If it is coming out the top lines (overflow) then it could be a stuck float.

Make sure that the first thing you do once you get it is to clean those carbs very thoroughly.  That is the main issue with new owners.  If the carbs are dirty on the inside the bike will either run like crap, wont idle, or not run at all.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

ColinthePilot

out of curiosity, how long does it take to dirty the carbs? we had mine out and immaculate the day i bought it in october, and  haven't touched them since. I'm not sure if the bike is running like crap cuz of bad tuning (i.e. no tuning) or if the carbs are dirty again?
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

dj

Quote from: ColinthePilot on July 17, 2007, 02:21:03 PM
out of curiosity, how long does it take to dirty the carbs? we had mine out and immaculate the day i bought it in october, and  haven't touched them since. I'm not sure if the bike is running like crap cuz of bad tuning (i.e. no tuning) or if the carbs are dirty again?

About 30 seconds if you don't have an inline fuel filter!  :o  That is if you have even a little rust in the tank, or a bad tank of gas.

Make sure that you have an inline filter on the gas line.  It is easier to replace a $4 filter then it is to have to get more carb cleaner and spend about 1-2 hours cleaning them back up.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

h2olawyer

If the bike hasn't run in several months, the gasoline breaks down & forms varnish in the bowls & passages.  The process actually begins within days of filling the tank.  It starts slowly & the early breakdown seems to be minimal.  If you put Sta-Bil or some other fuel stabilizing additive in it & ran the bike until it filled the carb bowls, the fuel breakdown is minimal.  The first part to plug up will likely be your accelerator pump nozzles.

I try to add Sta-bil whenever I know my V will sit for more than two weeks without getting ridden.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ColinthePilot

I have an inline filter (labeled as small engine fuel filter?) that I still have to put on. I'm waiting on a bunch of parts to come in, either this week or next, and i'm going to clear my schedule for a saturday and live in the auto shop (fully equipped DIY garage on base...hehehe :) ) and get everything done at one time.
Colin

Lucky

Quote from: h2olawyer on July 17, 2007, 03:06:24 PM
The first part to plug up will likely be your accelerator pump nozzles.H2O

in my experience it's the feed hole in the bottom of the bowl, followed closely by the pilot adjustment screws.  the accelerator pump nozzles are under pressure when they fire & tend to clear out.

problems with clogged nozzles are more likely after dipping the carbs because the dip loosens tiny flakes of varnish in the nozzle tubes, & the engine vibration flakes them free.

my .02

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

So that's why my nozzles plugged up after the first dipping.  That's all that was plugged in the Tractor's carbs when I did them this Spring.  Was going only on what I've experienced in the two sets I've done.  All other passages in both sets were clear (at least passable) when I dipped them, but the accel pump nozzles were plugged in both sets.  Figured I might get corrected, but I was basing my comments on my own limited past experiences with these carbs.

Thanks for the clarification.

H2O

ColinthePilot

last time i did carbs, and i've done a few sets between my bike and my friend's 3, we would dip them overnight, then blast them with carb cleaner and a straw, getting into all the passages till we got as much fluid out as we put in. It wasn't uncommon for us to blow a whole can of carb cleaner on 1 or 2 sets of carbs. but it insured that all the passages were clear. did that to the jets too. everything was guaranteed clear.
Colin

abogado68

Welcome to ROV :) :) :) Always be careful when ridding. Never lose concentration and don't let enthusiasm(speed) control you. 11 out of 10 automobiles don't see you, so be very careful. Ridding is a lot of fun, but comes with a lot of responsability. So it's a must, ALWAYS BE CAREFUL. Enjoy the bike.

Tiger

:) Welcome to "The Family"... 8) I started riding at 16...now 54!!! I hadn't ridden for 20+ year's and took the course 3 year's ago :o Well worth EVERY PENNY... 8)
Remember...A. T. G. A. T. T...(All the gear all the time) 8) I have 2 x helmet's, 3 x jacket's, 2 x pair ridin' pants, 2 x pair glove's and a pair of leather sport type boot's :o... 8) I guess I don't heal so fast as I used to :o ;D ;D :D :D :D... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

mdskinner731

all the gear all the time... huh i only have a helmit and what ever i wear that day... ohhh i might put a jacket on if its a lil brisk out ...daamn new york lol...
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

YellowJacket!

Remember: The burn of road rash is worse than a little burn from wearing a jacket on a hot day. ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

QuixoticJ

Cool thanks for the advice guys. What do you think a full set of gear would cost me and is there any good places to buy from ?

Brian Moffet

Quote from: DaveTN on July 18, 2007, 10:23:01 AM
The burn of road rash is worse than a little burn from wearing a jacket on a hot day.

Trust me on this one, no smileys.  I have scars on my elbows that are still visible 25 years after the injuries due to road rash.  I had both of my arms wrapped at the elbows for a month because of an accident.  It is no fun to have the nurse cleaning your road rash with a bristle-brush like you wash vegetables with.

Brian

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Brian Moffet on July 22, 2007, 02:11:50 PM
Quote from: DaveTN on July 18, 2007, 10:23:01 AM
The burn of road rash is worse than a little burn from wearing a jacket on a hot day.

.....It is no fun to have the nurse cleaning your road rash with a bristle-brush like you wash vegetables with.

Brian

Another important fact: Don't wear a helmet and you will be like one of those vegetables that you clean with the brush.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)