I have pistons and rings!!!

Started by Rick G, June 17, 2010, 10:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

Well , I found a set of pistons W/ rings on eBay.ca They were in Tehachipie  near Ron McCoy. Go figure .

They arrived to day , and I'm amazed , They weren't even broken in !!!!  Only the tinyest signs of scuffing. No carbon on the top at all . They came with rods and bearings too  all for the princely sum of 31.00  including shipping! I'm hoping to get it back on the road in the fall, with a "new" top end and new paint.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

Great snag, Rick!  Just shows that if you keep looking and are patient, you will find what you need at a reasonable price.  Glad to hear you will once again be a rider of vision!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

vadasz1

Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Walt_M.

Do my eyes deceive me or is there just 1 ring land on those pistons? The Vision uses 3 rings.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Ron_McCoy

Those aren't Vision pistons. V pistons are 80 mm. Its in your manual.

I thought I knew everyone in the area with Vision stuff, but I guess not.
Good find Rick

Rick G

Those are Vmax pistons. They have 2 rings ?  Maybe be Venture ?
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

How do they measure up, rick? I'd be worried about collapsing skirts with any kind of scuffing. Good find  ;)
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

The appear as new , no carbon on top at all . They are as shiny as pistons that just came out of the box. By scuffing, I refer to the slight wear pattern that starts half way up the piston skirt as  break in starts. Not the bruise that is evident on a collapsed piston due to seizure.
Rick G

VFan

With his post, vadasz1 opened the door for a question that I've been having. I've seen new pistons with very smooth, machined tops and new piston's (like the ebay posting that vadasz1 referred to) which has a rough finish - looks like there's been no cleanup post the casting. In terms of performance is there any different between the two styles? I would have thought the smoothly machined tops, with valve positioned groves, implies tighter tolerance to work in concert with open valves.

Thoughts?

Kent

inanecathode

Finish doesnt matter a whole lot. The smoother it is the less chance of a hot spot developing you have. I'm surprised there are pistons that dont have valve notches in the crown. I would figure they all would or all wouldnt. That suggests them having different compression ratios. Generally, forged pistons are the ones that are later machined down on the crowns whereas cast pistons are generally smooth enough on the ground to not necessitate grinding the finish down.

Rick G

lordy, for once Inane and i agree on something!
Rick G

inanecathode

Quote from: Rick G on June 27, 2010, 11:42:21 PM

Who are you and where is the old rick o_o

BTW Brother never died from setting his chain to tight :P  :D :D

Coil Coyle

Quote from: inanecathode on June 28, 2010, 01:18:24 AM

When did the chain wear out? Inquiring minds want to know.

;D
Coil

inanecathode

Quote from: Coil Coyle on July 20, 2010, 09:16:08 PM
Quote from: inanecathode on June 28, 2010, 01:18:24 AM

When did the chain wear out? Inquiring minds want to know.

;D
Coil

It was a bit worn before we left, started binding up a bit but freed up with a bit of oil about 200 miles out of williams az. About 40 miles out of kingman it broke at highway speed and left a bike with no chain o_o rick was nice enough to drive aaaaall the way out there to load up the dead bike and bring it into kingman where we fitted a new chain, still on that chain to this day :D

Rick G

Actually it was m,ore like 125 miles out, your welcome!
Rick G

inanecathode

Quote from: Rick G on July 21, 2010, 02:34:11 AM
Actually it was m,ore like 125 miles out, your welcome!

More or less

jasonm.

Quote from: Rick G on June 18, 2010, 04:35:01 PM
Those are Vmax pistons. They have 2 rings ?  Maybe be Venture ?
Those are NOT motorcycle Vmax pistons!  ALL 4 strokes have 3 sets of rings. ANd the old Vmax is a 76mm bore. Could be the Yamaha snowmobile Vmax.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Rick G

Thanks Jason , That was why I ended with a question mark . I've never seen a motorcycle 4 stroke piston with 2 rings.
Rick G