News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Crappy Crank

Started by dshaw340, April 09, 2005, 12:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dshaw340

I just to the crankshaft to the shop to have them look at it because the bearing fried on it.  To my eye, there was some light scoring on one of the journals but no gouges.  They are telling me it needs to be replaced or welded.  Anyone have any thoughts?  Also, does anyone maybe have a good crank for sale off an 82?

silicon_toad2000

is it a reputable shop? why do they think it needs to be replaced? have they crack tested it?
If its just a light score I would think they could rechrome and machine it/balance it.
I would say get a second opinion and get it crack tested.
if its ok you can get is cryo treated or shotpeened for peace of mind.
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

Lucky

It would be a first on this board.  I've never heard of a crank going bad. get a second opinion.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

dshaw340

Thanks guys.  I'll get a second opinion.  They told me about a shop in FL that does crank work http://www.faliconcranks.com/cw-list.htm#plain, but they want $250 which is more than I want to spend on a crank.

silicon_toad2000

you know if I had to spend 250 on a crank i would seriously be considering the pro's and cons of increasing the stroke.
If anything ever breaks I always improve it
One mans clunker is another mans blank canvas.

Rick G

I've heard of a few Visions that  lost a crank  , I believe it results from   some one removing the clutch cover and NOT replacing the seal  that  seal the end of the crank .  Or as in my case NOT checking the oil often enough!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

dshaw340

You were right Rick.  It was a lack of oil problem but IT WASN'T MY FAULT!!!.  The guy I bought it from said he had it on the freeway and shut it down after hearing a noise.  Once he stopped he found oil spewed everywhere and I even saw staining on the cylinder.  I guess she blew a gasket or something although I never really saw any evidence of that when I took it apart but it may have been unseeable.  I knew when I bought it that I was probably looking at a bearing problem.  Apart from that the bike is in prestine order and hasn't been rid since 1994.  I found a crank and rods off EBAY for $66 delivered!!! Quite the miracle actually considering how rare these bikes are.  I'm quite anxious to get her going.  

Lucky

I might have some insite as to what blew oil all over...

Once, after reinstalling a set of carbs on my bike I threw the airbox & tank on for a quick test ride. in doing so I kinked one of the breather hoses going to the rear valve cover. after a while the blowby gasses built up enough pressure in the crankcase to blow out one of the half moon seals on the right side of the cover, spraying very hot oil all over my leg. fortunatly i was wearing long jeans, or that would have really stung!

you probably won't find the hose kinked at this point, but you can check the half moon seals & see if any of them have been shoved back in or siliconed, (all i did on mine was shove it back in)

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

dshaw340

Cool... thanks for the tip.  I'll keep that in mind when I'm putting it back together.

veloce430

Did you buy the bike that was in Seattle?  Also did you get the crank from Motorcycle Guy(Motorcycleparts4u) in Vancouver Wa?  I see they have most of a Vision listed on their E-Bay store.(less crankshaft)  There is another '82 Vision that  is being parted out in Portland that is on Craig's List if any body needs anything.  That motor was still together last time I checked.

Stu

dshaw340

Ya I got the bike in Seattle off of www.craigslist.org (fantastic web site I might add).  I'm not sure if it's the one you are thinking about.  The guy I got it from had it given to him from a neighbor as a project bike because of the burned engine but he never did anything with it but sell it to me.  Apparently the original owner gave it away because he moved back East somewhere.  Oh, and by the way he took the key with him so that's another problem I have to deal with.  The crank and rods I did get from the motorcycle guy.  They should arrive today I hope.  I took the crank halves to the shop yesterday to see about getting the main crank bearings replaced because there is a special tool required.  Finally when he went to check a price on the bearings he came back saying they don't make the bearings anymore.  Good grief.  The bearings that are in the case don't look too bad so I may have to put it back together without replacing them.  Anyone have any bearings?

ps2/bikevision

hey a lost key isent that big of a problem. for some reason the vision is real easy to pick. if you dont know how get a lock smith to come out a make you a new key. it cost $50 for the management to replace the lock to my apartment and only $35 to have a new key to be made buy a lock smith.

dshaw340

Ya, there are two screws and the lock comes out and then all you have to do is stick a screw driver in to crank it over.   Does this bike use one key for the ignition, gas cap, and seat?

h2olawyer

QuoteDoes this bike use one key for the ignition, gas cap, and seat?

Yes.  New, they came with a pair of matching keys.  (One of mine is still on the dealership yellow tag!)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

dshaw340

Why you lucky ...... ;)