News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

RODE SO CAL

Started by dminor, November 30, 2006, 10:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dminor

I took the little "V" out for the last run before the engine R&R. I took her to the beach to ride with the sand in the corners ( getting ready for the CO ride in June).
  I was doing ok until I stopped at Torre Pines to have a smoke. The little B-och would not start ( i did get the strangest looks while asking if "anyone had jumper cables"). I had to push the beast up the hill to a point where I could turn it around. Started within 10 feet. Road good all the way home.
    AT LEAST I GOT TO GO FOR A RIDE!!!!
    Stater not dead, just weak, good thing the new engine has a good one. Aux ground wires are now installed. Will solder the stater connections when I install new engine.
   See you all in the spring.
Don;)

h2olawyer

Sounds like a great ride, Don.  At least it's mostly downhill to anywhere you need to go from Torrey Pines!  ;D  Glad you made it home.

Riding here is on hold for a while.  Got 8.5 inches of snow in town Tuesday night & Wednesday.  Supposed to get back up into the low 40s by early next week.  More snow scheduled for Saturday.  Haven't made chains or drilled a set of spiked tires & there's lots of ice on the roads now.

By mid June, the roads should be pretty much sand-free.  Could run into some over Trail Ridge, Berthoud Pass & up Mt. Evans, but even then, there shouldn't be much - at least if it hasn't snowed for a couple weeks . . .

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Mutt

Quote from: h2olawyer on November 30, 2006, 11:07:41 PM
Sounds like a great ride, Don.  At least it's mostly downhill to anywhere you need to go from Torrey Pines!  ;D  Glad you made it home.

Riding here is on hold for a while.  Got 8.5 inches of snow in town Tuesday night & Wednesday.  Supposed to get back up into the low 40s by early next week.  More snow scheduled for Saturday.  Haven't made chains or drilled a set of spiked tires & there's lots of ice on the roads now.

By mid June, the roads should be pretty much sand-free.  Could run into some over Trail Ridge, Berthoud Pass & up Mt. Evans, but even then, there shouldn't be much - at least if it hasn't snowed for a couple weeks . . .

H2O

We're having a warm spell in NC right now. We tied a record high today with 76 degrees. I wont' be able to ride until this weekend and it's supposed to be cold. High Sunday will be 45 degrees. Figures... :)

SoCal sounds good about now. I can close my eyes and imagine riding down to Point Loma and along the water front in San Diego.. ahhhhhhhhhh...BUT BACK TO REALITY! I'm on the east coast now  :-\

Don, at least you only had to push yours once. You should have seen Motorplow and me pushing mine around the camp ground at Deal's Gap in front of several Road Warrior people. Two grown, out-of-shape adults pushing an old bike around made for some good entertainment. My starter went out on the second morning there. Everywhere we went I had to park so that I could coast down a hill to get it started.

Mutt
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

h2olawyer

If I'd been at the Dragon to see that show, rest assured it would have been on video & posted long ago!   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Mutt

Quote from: h2olawyer on December 01, 2006, 01:39:56 AM
If I'd been at the Dragon to see that show, rest assured it would have been on video & posted long ago!   ;D

H2O

Well, there was this bench incident at the camp ground that made a comical photo shoot. I was sitting on a long bench minding my own business having a cold one. This girl comes along and sits right next to me. Mind you I'm no small person but she was bigger. SNAP! The bench breaks in two sending us both to the ground. Because of the way the bench broke (in the middle) it forced both of us together. She ended up on top of me. We were sitting around a camp fire with about 15-20 people. Suddenly it was like the paparatzi showed up. Cameras were flashing and the girl and I were laughing so hard we couldn't get up. When you see the picture it looks as though we were getting it on in front of the crowd around the fire. Lucky for me the pictures haven't surfaced. I think Motorplow has pictures but he's not going to give them up.....right MP????  :-\

Why do I see the potential for blackmail?

Mutt  :)

h2olawyer

Think I saw one photo from that incident - may have been on the Warrior's site.

H2O

Night Vision

Mutt; I think I heard your avitar say.......

>:( "why you cheatin little son of a #@%&!"  >:(
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

MotorPlow

Actually, there were pictures of the incident on the Warrior site. My camera, when I needed it most, needed new batteries. If I remember correctly, I think there were sound effects too. But, what do I know... I was hammered.

Mutt

Quote from: MotorPlow on December 01, 2006, 07:34:57 PM
Actually, there were pictures of the incident on the Warrior site. My camera, when I needed it most, needed new batteries. If I remember correctly, I think there were sound effects too. But, what do I know... I was hammered.

OOOOHHHH CRAP! LOL  :D I forgot about the sound affects! :P Thank God the camera couldn't capture that huh? I wouldn't want anyone to know the girl was laughing so hard she was farting flagilating which just added to the drunken laughter already in progress.    Fun Fun Fun. I look forward to doing it again but without this incident.

Lucky

Quote from: Mutt on December 01, 2006, 01:11:27 PM
I think Motorplow has pictures but he's not going to give them up.....right MP????  :-\

I'll open the bidding at $5   ;D ;)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Mutt

Quote from: Lucky on December 01, 2006, 09:58:49 PM
Quote from: Mutt on December 01, 2006, 01:11:27 PM
I think Motorplow has pictures but he's not going to give them up.....right MP????  :-\

I'll open the bidding at $5   ;D ;)

LOL....Daaaang, here we go. OK....6.50 to keep it off the site.

Mutt  :D

dminor

By the way,
SOCAL was in the 80's today.
I got to ride. Did you?
Don ;D

h2olawyer

:P  :P   :P    :P

Got up to about 40 here today.  Still lots of ice patches on most of the roads.  Today was the first day over freezing since last Tuesday.  Had several nights below zero & highs below +20 (F).  Won't be riding in the near future - supposed to be in the low 40s through the weekend, then possible snow again a week from today.  We normally have several nice days over 50 after storms so the snow melts = at least on the roads.  Hasn't happened yet this year.

H2O

NewVisionGuy

come on now  H2O!!!  40*  is pletty warm enough  for  riding.  It  was  about 25*  on my way home from work the other morning.

Cold weather riding  is fun  as long as the ice thaws a little. 

h2olawyer

The 40 (F) isn't the problem - it's the several inches of ice on all the side streets & many of the main roads!  At these temps, it will take weeks to melt off.  Read my earlier posts about riding in snowstorms in August & September.  I don't mind cold at all.  (After all, I enjoy skiing even more than motorcycling!)  If temps get much over about 80, I think I'll die of heatstroke.   ;)  Coldest riding I've done is between 0 & 10 (F).  That was kinda chilly.   ;D   Would be nice to have heated grips, though - having working hands for brake & clutch is sort of important.

H2O

NewVisionGuy

I was  just kidding H2O   I HATE  riding in the snow  and ice.    So far,  I've  avoided  doing  it on a street  legal bike.  My ride to work  is  about  25 miles at  around 80 mph.  It's  been mighty cold  at night  lately.  Almost cold enough to make me wanna  get a car...  ALMOST...   I've  been  thinking  about  putting a wind sheild  on  the V-star and  heated grips  though.   It's  really  the wind chill that  gets ya.  I think  the  coldest  I've  been  in  is  about  17 or 18 degrees.   I  don't  mind  it,  but  I'd  rather it   be  a couple  degrees  warmer.  ;)

h2olawyer

With plenty of winter projects on both Vs this year, I think I may take my next ride in late March or April.  Will keep V1 rideable as much as possible, just in case there's some riding to be had.  Will need to find time to do the valves & paint her - with enough time to work out any other bugs before the 25 year party.   ;D

May put ice spikes on V2 & have some fun, though.  There are a few ice races around here in the winter.

H2O