News:

Main Menu

New battery advice?

Started by §pace_§uitor, December 12, 2011, 03:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

§pace_§uitor

So my bike absolutely hates cold weather and usually will not start without a jump.  However, once it is connected to another battery it cranks over right away, and so I infer that it needs a new battery.  But since I live in the pacific north west, "cold days" means "every day", and I am tired of asking for jumpstarts.

(Previous owner said current battery uses "gel cell" technology")

Please give me your tips and advice in the battery department, and approximate prices I can expect to pay.

Thank you!  :)

"I will sit right down
Drifting into my solitude over my head,
Waiting for the gift of sound and vision..."
-D. Bowie

VFan

I'm sure there are folks on this forum with contrary views and experiences but I've had bad luck with gel batteries. I recommend the simple and inexpensive liquid acid batteries.

I wonder perhaps if for the winter months if you should run a thinner oil? I see full synthetics around that are wet clutch friendly. No clue if this will help at all, but just a thought.

My 2 cents

VFan

Cdnlouie

Your starter may be drawing too many amps due to wear.  Your battery cables and connections are not so great if they have not been upgraded.  There are other issues to consider that a boost may temporarily overcome.

Batteries need proper charging as well (right amount of amps to desulfate and yet not to overcharge) and if it does not get the right type of restorative charge it can fail to deliver the goods at start up.  Gel batteries are different in this respect from liquid ones and I believe require a special type of charger (for best performance).

If you don't keep your bike on a regular battery maintainer you will have problems with starting.  The best asset a V can have is a maintainer charger.  Even a well maintained V struggles with not starting well if not run on a regular basis.  Let the V sit for more than a couple of weeks and she gets cranky  :-\.  Leave it without a battery maintainer and you get very cranky  ::).

§pace_§uitor

The bike is equipped with a trickle charger and I have used it a few times to restore charge after draining the battery attempting to start it.

I have a garage I could keep it in but it's not logistically convenient with the house parking configuration.  But then, there's nothing convenient about a bike that won't start...

I still need to have the battery tested.  What is the general starting price for a motorcycle battery?  Thirty bucks, maybe?
"I will sit right down
Drifting into my solitude over my head,
Waiting for the gift of sound and vision..."
-D. Bowie

QBS

Walmart wet cell battery's go for around $40.00.

Make sure all connections between the battery + pole and the starters' attachment lug are bright and shiny.  Of course, this includes both of the starter solenoid's' high amperage carrying connections.

Make sure that the connection at the battery's' - pole is bright and shiny, as well as, where the battery gets its' ground.

Make sure that your starter motor is oil free and contains serviceable brushes.

Consider running a 10 or even 5w 40 oil.

Always fill your float bowls from the "pri" petcock position before attempting to start, after the bike has set for more that a couple of days.

ALWAYS...... leave your Battery Tender Jr. attached to your battery whether the battery is in the bike or not.  When I park my bike in my garage, the first thing I do after stepping away from the center stand is to connect my BTJr.  VERY VERY IMPORTANT!

fret not

Read the thread titled "Headlight Dims, Doggy Under throttle".  The condition of the wires is very important and often overlooked, just another variable in the system but you need to check it all out.  I recommend the wires from Tiger, heavy duty with soldered fittings.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

QBS

Also, a trickle charger is not a battery maintainer.

These bikes, like most, were built to a price point.  Their electrical systems were designed to get the job done when new and in excellent condition.  After that they can get real marginal.  This means that we have bring them back to like new (or better) condition to get like new dependability.  Upgrades along the way pay big dividends.

Tiger

Quote from: QBS on December 12, 2011, 08:55:18 PM
Walmart wet cell battery's go for around $40.00.

ALWAYS...... leave your Battery Tender Jr. attached to your battery whether the battery is in the bike or not.  When I park my bike in my garage, the first thing I do after stepping away from the center stand is to connect my BTJr.  VERY VERY IMPORTANT!

I have to agree with QBS on this one...as its what I do too!! I also run with Walmart batteries on 'The Mistress' and ALL of my rebuilds without any problems. They are approx' $40.00. Visions really do need a good, well charged battery.

When I rebuild a Vision I always replace the spark wires/caps, as well as the battery to ground wire and the starter solenoid to starter motor wire. It takes away 30 year old technology!!! and certainly aids starting/running, as one would expect!!.....and yes I do custom make and sell them. (thanks Fret).

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

jasonm.

AGM batteries are also good. They use a different plate technology. I have a 10 year old AGM in my Venture. Cranks better than any new battery I ever had. KMART sells AGM Sears batteries...about $70 I think.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Rick G

I put a  Deka AGM battery in my Vision in 2006 , I transferred it to the VX800 in 2008 . it is just now requiring a jump when temps are in the  high 30s to low 40s , Ill get another AGM soon, I'm sold on them. My experience with Walmart lead acid batteries , has not been good they have failed in 2or 3 years

Update:  Upon examining the terminals on the battery I discovered the bolts loose, I apparently did not follow my own policy and tightend them with a Phillips screwdriver. It is absolutely necessary to tighten them with a 10 mm wrench , don't break them off  but snug them so as to create a secure connection. After a charge its fine.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Kiwi

I've had better luck with the sealed batteries. Myself.  Although, my last $40 Walmart battery lasted 2 years or so.
It may just be user error, but I have problems with the non sealed ones
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Cdnlouie

Well...just for the record my old Wally battery is still going after 5 years. I've been waiting to buy an AGM, but it just won't die! I credit my really decent battery maintainer with that good luck.

Now I agree the AGM's are great, but I actually had a bad ** experience with my first one in my Venture. It died while being on a maintainer after one year.  I managed to de-sulfate it (one cell went dead) by boiling the heck out of it with a high amperage charger.  Had to open it up and remove the sealed caps to do so, but it came around and worked great all summer.  Go figure!

I'm thinking the AGM's may need a higher charge rate (strong 14.5 volts with some amps to boot) to keep them at their higher voltage level and most maintainer types don't go high enough or long enough to keep them burning bright, just my hunch on my particular issue.  I will give it a good higher rate charge (similar to normal bike charging) this winter to keep it alive.

**I may just have gotten a bad AGM battery.

Night Vision

I have an AGM battery I bought from Mike's XS two years ago...

when my Vision is running it's charging 14.5 volts, after I shut it off, the battery holds 14.5 volts... then eventually settles to 12.9 (like overnight).

its been out and off charge for about two months and still reads 12.92 volts...

where I'm going with this is: I think having a battery that accepts and stores/handles the 14.5 volts the system is charging is why my latest stator has last as long as it has (13k plus miles).

from what I've read, AGM / Gel batteries do need a beefier charger to maintain them.
a 1.5 / 2 amp charger is suitable for an acid bath battery... whereas AGM / Gel batteries require a 6 amp charger.

FWIW... WTFDIK?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Night Vision on December 21, 2011, 09:31:39 PM
I have an AGM battery I bought from Mike's XS two years ago...

when my Vision is running it's charging 14.5 volts, after I shut it off, the battery holds 14.5 volts... then eventually settles to 12.9 (like overnight).

I bought mine from Mike's about 5 years ago.  It's still working great and it does charge at a higher rate.  But 5 years is only 20 % of how long I have owned my motorcycle... (to remind people, original OEM stator and R/R, 1983, 47,000+ miles)

Brian

Rick G

My battery maintainer , has a statement on the box not to use it on an agm battery.  I have never had to charge my agm battery ever!!!!
It sat  in the vision for over a year and still had no trouble starting the vx .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

jasonm.

my AGM  charges up fine with a 1amp charger.... and the Venture battery is 20A size battery. AFTER A FEW HOURScharging VOLTAGE  reads 14.3.  The larger the battery the greater the amps needed when first put into service. A motorcycle batteries I believe can use 1 or 2 amp charger...no matter the type. My Venture can sit for a week and the voltage also reads 12.9 ....after being 10 years old. Yes,  I do give it a trickle charge once in a while as did my brother who had it before me.

67GTO

So will my battery tender junior ruin my AGM battery? ::)
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Brian Moffet

I have never had a problem with it.

Brian

supervision

My AGM battery, lasted just past nine years! It finally gave out , just the other day. The guy at the battery shop where I bought it was surprised, when I told him I don't even charge on it unless it gets down.  I am as easy on it as possible, and if it is supper cold, or the bike hasn't been run in awhile, I will start the bike using a  car battery, straight to the positive post of the starter, with jumper cables.
" border="0

jasonm.

supervision... If, when the bike was not running for more that a week...had you charged the battery. It may still be alive. The AGMs are really strong. Seems even when neglected. 9 years is great... You cannot kill an AGM by charging it. Unless your charger is bad or you are trying to FORCE feed it 50 amps.