News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Side Panel Grommets

Started by Re-Vision, May 09, 2011, 01:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

If we could find a reasonable cost for side panel rubber grommets I would be willing to buy enough for my own usage (3 or 4 bikes) as well as keep some spares for others when they need them. I prefer Yamaha grommets rather than hardware store substitutes as I don't want side covers blowing off.  Let me know your thoughts and costs on this.    BDC

QBS

Lowes for sure and probably Home Depot have rubber grommets that appear to me to be possible substitutes.  Buy one and see if the fit is tight enough.

Grommit Tip:  To lower the stress placed on the plastic during its' installation and removal from the grommet, grease the grommet with wheel bearing or silicone grease.

inanecathode

I did the substitute grommet thing on my RD, seemed to fit ok. Somewhere in the ride, though, the side cover flew off never to be found again :) 76 rd400 OG side cover, totally undamaged, poof!
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Re-Vision

That's why I want Yamaha grommets.    BDC

spectre

I used vaccume line that I cut myself, it holds even better than the original gromits, I'm not sure of the size, I'll look if you'd like.
1982 yamaha vision xz550- a work in progress

Re-Vision

Thanks Spectre, the main concern I have is that my grommets have deteriorated and I want keep the bike as original as possible. If anything, the grommets hold too well. That tightness and riders not knowing where to pull on the side covers (poor design) is the chief cause of left side covers being cracked.     BDC

Night Vision

so, are the grommets no longer available?

I purchased OEM ones a couple of years ago and they were like $2 each
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano