Barbers Vintage Days

Started by artbone, October 12, 2011, 04:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artbone

Quote from: QBS on February 08, 2012, 03:14:55 PM
For Vintage days, lot B is for tent camping only, lot C is "half tent and half motorhome,.....TRACK SIDE at turns 14 and 15 is for tent and motorhome.

"Fan Zone" has no camping or motorhome utilization and is strictly a vendor marketing area.
It appears that we have plenty of time to gather more detailed information and fine tune our plans.
Thanks for that. To clarify, the Fan Zone is what would cost $400. There were vendors there last year but also clubs. The Norton Owners and the Birmingham Classic Riders were 2 but I think there were more. At the Birmingham tent there were more Yamaha TDMs than I've ever seen anywhere. This is the only thing I'm asking ROV members to help out with by buying the $40 tickets. If we decide not to do that I'll just have "open house" at my motorhome.
I put an ad in the "want ad" section for a set of Euro gears and Jeff Swann answered. I'm going to try to get him to make an appearance as well as try to track down Charles Brothers and the Good Times Racing guys. Also, I'm going to try to get Kevin Schwantz to come by but that's sort of problematic. I think it's going to be a great time.
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Lucky

Seeing as i'm currently unemployed at the moment, I can't commit to anything right now :(
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Kenny

I'm interested,shouldn't be as far as the 25th R O V meet in Colorado, I nead to get another longhaul under my butt!!
  11th to 14th of Oct. are these the correct dates ?
                     Thanks Ken S. 
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

artbone

http://www.southtix.com/venues/bmp.html

Here's a track map of Barbers. At the bottom right corner you can see a 2 lane road that leads straight to the museum. If you turn left on the road that circle the track and go past the credential building, past the fan zone, on up to handicap parking and lower lot D, that's where my motorhome is going to be, right against the track fence. I'm going to have some sort of banner made up and hang it off the back of the MH and I'll be right next to a bunch of Nortons and Norton banners. It'll be hard to miss. I don't know what the rules are as far as tent camping is concerned.

For anyone who calls himself a motorcyclist, a visit to Barber's is a must. It's probably better to come a day early and tour the museum when it's not so crowded. And believe me, it takes a day (or more) to go through the place. There's a lot of stuff to look at.

Back in the mid 90s I was at Talladega Gran Prix Park, for the AHRMA finals in late November. After the races, I was sitting around the campfire with some of the Dixie Classic guys I knew and they started telling me about their club Christmas party at this rich guy's private museum, where he had Indy cars mounted on the wall and hundreds of motorcycles.

I said "Bullshit, there's nothing that cool in Alabama." I'm from Georgia and we have a long-standing rivalry.

My next question was, "How can I get in to see it."

They said you've got to be a club member and that's how I became a proud member of the Dixie Classic Club, and that museum has turned into Barber's Motorsport Park. The next Nov. I was there and blown away.

Art
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Rick G

I'll be amazed if I can make it , but I'm set up pretty well, I have a teardrop trailer with A/c and heat and cooking facilities. I'm not laying on the ground in sleeping bag either , too old for that! :D
I can remove the shell  from the '82 Dodge and load up a couple of bikes. All I need is the money to cover it. Wish me luck!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

artbone

"When you got the time, you ain't got the money. When you got the money, you ain't got the time." Truer words were never spoken.

I got an email from my friend that's handling renting my spot and she says tickets go on sale July 9 and sell out fast so if any of you are planning to go, get off the pot (the s**t pot, not the other kind) and be ready to order one. She says the tent camping goes on sale the same time.
Where we are is called "trackside." They are making lots of changes to the track so we're hoping they don't screw with the sites we've been using for years.
There are a number of hotels in the area, some okay and some pretty rank (but still not cheap.) If you are really planning to go I would reserve one now because they fill up fast close to the event. I wound up with a place 15 miles away last year.

I'd appreciate it if some of you would let me know if you're going to be there but I'm going to be there with my IOM bike and a banner, whatever anyone else does.

Art
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

QBS

Things are beginning to percolate.  This morning I spoke with Kyle (phone 205-262-2829) with the Bruno Event Team regarding reserving a motorhome site in the Upper D section of Barbers' various fan camping areas.  As best as I can tell, Bruno Event is the organization responsible for all Barber non museum related events including various site reservations.  Kyle is the boss of Carrie (phone 877-332-7804).

Kyle says that Carrie is in charge of reservations and is swamped with emails regarding reservations even at this early stage of event production.  He suggested that I email my reservation request directly to him and he would forward it to Carrie.  Doing so will supposedly get her attention and set my request appart from others.  I really don't know what to expect.  Anyway, I did as he suggested and provided all the data that I thought they need to make the deal.  I have no idea what the site I have requested will cost.  Perhaps Carrie or Kyles' response to my email will reveal more secrets.

At this stage I suggest that any of us planning to attend Barbers' Vintage Motorcycle Days research and study the Barber web site regarding camping and then call Carrie or Kyle to place your reservation.  Kyles' email is khouser@brunoeventteam.com.  I don't know Carries' email.  She can be hard to get to answer her phone.  It usually goes to voicemail.  Of course, I will pass on any further developments as they become apparent.

QBS

Having not heard a word since my last communication with Kyle, I called him and left a voice mail today and got an email response.  He reports that Carrie has been busy dealing with several other events.  He basically said "fear not", that they have reserved the requested space and tickets for me and that all is well.  Still no information regarding the cost of all this wellbeing or how to/where to pay for it.  Stay tuned for further details as they become available.

artbone

I'm back home in Mexico from my cross Canada trip on my "new," ebay fresh, 83 Suzuki GS 1100E. I had a few problems (stator, R/R, etc.) about the same as I would have had on a Vision. While I was in BC I got a note from my friend that's renting our spaces that she had heard from Barbers and to send her some money so we've got a space now. I'm going to check on a motorhome today. I still need pipes for my bike in Atlanta so I've got to get that done soon.

I'm working on a banner and I'll post it here when I come up with a design. I like the one with the bike in front of a big "V" and I was thinking of adding a line at the bottom like "Welcome Riders of Vision" or maybe just the picture then another sign below that says something about the 30th anniversary.

Get yo s**T together guys. I'm going to be lonesome if I'm the only one there while my Norton friends make fun of my "crappy Jap bike."

Art 
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

artbone

Just rented the motorhome online. It's not that much more expensive than a motel - well, maybe when you figure in the price of the space and the rental it's more but I like being right on-site and not sleeping on the ground. I'm going to check on the banner this week. It's going to be fun, don't miss it.

Art

"Ride it like you're retired."
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

QBS

VisionMeister

I'm starting to plan for the trip to Barber's.
I got the wife's approval and am looking at alternatives.
I want to take the bike there but don't want to ride that far (2250 mile each way). That means taking the truck.
Are there any west coasters that would be interested in joint venturing this trip? How about you Colorado riders? I may fly if I can't get a ride share (or take the Volkswagen to cut the gas expense in half).
Hope to see you there Artbone and QBS

QBS

VisionMeister

Is there anyone other than Artbone, QBS and myself planning to make this event?

QBS

VM do you plan on camping at Barber or what?  If camping, my site might be big enough to accomodate you.

VisionMeister

I would prefer a hotel.
If that doesn't pan out I may take you up on your offer.
I'm working on my plans and currently plan to arrive late Wednesday night so that I can see the museum on Thursday.

QBS

Not a lot of rooms in the area.  Suggest you make reservations real soon.  See you there.  BTW, did we meet at to the Winter Park reunion?

VisionMeister

Yes. I rode my Vision out from California, red with red sport fairing.
I rode with you on the drive out to pick up h20's wrecked tractor.
I had a great time on that trip. The day rides over the passes in the Rockies were spectacular and the Trail Ridge Road in the Rocky Mountain National Park was "epic" (to quote kwells and inanecathode).
I look forward to Barber's. I haven't been to a vintage meet since about 2000 at Sears Point.
I am scheming on trying to get to the Dragon, but don't know now if I can take that much time.

QBS

I know we'll all have great time at Barber.  See you there!

artbone

I'm in the Dolomite Mountains on a motorcycle tour and will be home in Mexico Sept. 22. I'll be there 2 days then have to go to a family thing in LA for 5 days, then, finally I'll be able to get the banner done and get ready for Barbers. I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure it will be a good time.

I mean, with old bikes, old bikers, a swap meet, racing, a Wall of Death, one of the best motorcycle museums in the world, and plenty of beer, how could it not be a good time?

I don't mind that there won't be many Visionaries there. I just want the ones that are there to have a great time and write about it and make the others sorry they didn't come and vow to come next year. That's the way it always works, at least in my experience.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650