News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

replacing valve seals

Started by arthurdent510, September 01, 2009, 02:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arthurdent510

Ok, so it looks like I need to replace some valve seals...  been reading through the haynes manual, so I sort of have an idea of what's going to be involved.  I couldn't find a part number anywhere though... does anyone have the number or a good source?  I also need to get some shims, as I know most of mine are off.  I've seen a site over in the uk that sells individual shims, is there any where state side that does the same?  Thanks!

Kid Jedi

the shim diameter in the vision is pretty common, try asking at a local 3rd party shop if they will do a shim swap, your old still good shim for the one you need. as for valve seals the work should be preformed by an experienced automotive machinist, and it isn't too expensive, like ~35 a seal, including seal.
Loves to over think things.

sunburnedaz

If you have any other bike just get the hot cams shim kit for about 70 bones. Other than that just swap shims with a shop.
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

arthurdent510

Ah, lovely... doesn't quite do it justice... I have the rear cylinder done already, the valves were pretty bad.  Replaced all the valve seals, cleaned all the carbon off the valves, and lapped them all, now I'm working on the front.  This was one of my intake valves, it was pretty bad.... rather surprised, the intakes on the rear were in great shape, the exhausts were really bad though.  Seems to be the opposite for the front /shrug  Still working on cleaning them up, but there's no way it was sealing right.  The sealing face on the head looks just like it...  The rear cylinder came out really well, I was impressed with how well it cleaned up, and no more leaky valves!  Laped  and reset, a couple more gaskets coming in the mail on monday, and I should be back on the road again soon! 

Kid Jedi

did you do the brake cleaner leak test?
Loves to over think things.

arthurdent510

Yup, and they passed with no leaks  ;D

arthurdent510

And that same valve after cleaning this morning.....  I got everything cleaned up and the valves put back in, but it's starting to get hot out :-p  So tomorrow morning I'll get the head back on, get timing set, and put the motor back in!  It's almost there!

arthurdent510

Well, finally got it back together and running, and it's amazing the difference...  I still have to burp the cooling system some more and I have an air leak somewhere, but I no longer have a flat spot, it will run up to redline now with no hesitation  ;D  So it was definatly worth the work!  Well, that and no more valves leaking oil...

Now to get my tank repainted, replace my leaky fork seal again, and too many other things....  I don't think my todo list is every going to be empty...

akvision

So, ART, how many miles before the valves look like that?  Do you run premium or regular most of the time?
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

arthurdent510

I run premium.... the odometer stopped working a few months ago and it has about 12k miles on it, so I imagine i'm not over 13k yet.  The bike did sit from '95 till last fall, so I'm guessing that was part of it.