News:

Main Menu

charging issue

Started by ps2/bikevision, May 20, 2006, 12:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ps2/bikevision

ok ive got a new one. i decieded to test my charging system for the heck of it today. and what do i find its charging above 15v. so i dig out my cheat sheets and start the diognosis. but with typical vision fashion nothing is going right. i cant get a solid reading off the rr test in step 2. so where do i start. im gonna test a couple of my spare rr's and throw one on and see what i get.

also after having it running i went to hit the throttle and she dies. so i go to start her again and she acts like the battery is going dead. i just pulled the battery out of the fizzer so i know its good.

im supposed to ride it to michigan this weekend and go for a group ride with some buddies but looks like that wont happen. i got two bikes in the garage and i cant ride either. im so close to just parking the v for awhile and throwing my efforts into the fizzer. but it sucks for long rides.

Lucky

Quote from: ps2 on May 20, 2006, 12:14:18 AMbut with typical vision fashion nothing is going right. i cant get a solid reading off the rr test in step 2.

there is no cheating on the charging system tests (Electrex chart) you MUST follow it to the letter..
by step 2 do you mean Step "B" or Step "C"?
What exactly are the readings your getting?
if your switching R/R's that easily, i suspect the leads aren't soldered, you should know better than that PS2, you've been here long enough...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

QBS

15 Volts is better than 11.5.  Drive it, don't worry about it.  Check your battery fluid level every K or so miles.

Dying on throttle apllication is a carb problem.  Get it started and warmed up, then start messing with carbs if you still are unsatisfied.

What shape is your starter in?

ps2/bikevision

by step two i mean after you count the # of colors out of rr you check for <0.2v or >0.2v it jumps from .0 to .6 with out touching anything. it wont stay the same. im thinking its the rr. so im gona test one and put a good one on a then test again

and lucky the leads are soldered. i really suck at soldering and it took me forever to get them done. now im gona have to do it again. but my brother told me to hold the solder gun under the wires and let it heat them up then when there hot enough the solder will melt right through the wires. so hopefully ill have better luck this time.

and with the stalling i dont know whats up with that. on the way back from the dragon last year i was about an hour from home when it started to after fire when i got off the throttle above 5g. but i think its in my exhaust. thats why im looking at getting a new one maid for it. its also got an exhaust leak so that dont help.

QBS

Forget the exhaust as source of backfire.  Your carbs are not adjusted right. 

Lucky

Quote from: ps2 on May 20, 2006, 11:48:22 AM
by step two i mean after you count the # of colors out of rr you check for <0.2v or >0.2v it jumps from .0 to .6 with out touching anything. it wont stay the same. im thinking its the rr. so im gona test one and put a good one on a then test again

I would say you either have a poor connection between the R/R to Gound and/or Battery, or an R/R on it's way out.  when i say poor connection I mean anywhere along it's path (Ignition switch, etc)

hope that helps...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ps2/bikevision

well thats what i figured lucky.  didnt get around to looking at it today. i got the fizzer running and took it for a spin. and whouldnt you know i think the vision rubbed off on it. i ran out of gas about a mile from the house. apparently reserve dosent work. i only had to wait for about 5 min before my step-bro came driving up asking if id run out of gas. i was like howd you know. he said he could hear it cutting out from his house.

but im hopeing to check the vision out tommarow.