News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

So, how does that thing handle?

Started by Brian Moffet, May 18, 2010, 01:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moffet

vadasz1

I wonder where his chute went before he backed up for the boob ride.  Also amazing how she gets on with no helmet and in the next shot she has a beanie strapped on to her melon. (her head is what I meant....8) )
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

vadasz1

Just noticed he has no wheelie bars at the back.  I sure hope he has some sort of launch control system.  Would be kind of nice to see him pull a wheelie with that 1000HP monster. 8) 8)

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

vadasz1

Another thing I noticed when I looked at the pic gallery is that he has side exhaust AND trumpets in the rear.  Inn the pics the side exhausts are clearly mounted to the exhaust manifold.  So where are the trumpets at the rear connected to.  Are they just for show?

QBS

Early on they show the trumpets appairently havng stuff come out of them.  Outragious concept and execution.  First class engineering.  The Center Pivot steering is a major engineering feat.  Only in SoCal.  Is this still a Great Country, or what?

vadasz1

I looked at the pics more closely and saw that the trumpets are actually tapped off of the collector.  So they are functional.  And I forgot to rewind the video and see the smoke coming out of the trumpets.

But I still want to see him do a wheelie on it. 

Better yet how about doing a stoppie on that mother.  I think that would be near impossible.

QBS

What's with the apparent 2 spark plug leads per cylinder?

Brian Moffet

That's a trick used in airplanes as well as high-performance engines, used for safety as well as more complete combustion.

Brian

QBS

Brian I understand that.  It just seems like huge and expensive overkill for this application.  I mean, you'd have to create custom made heads.  However, if the entire engine is custom made, then twin plugs wouldn't be so unusual.

Brian Moffet

I assume it has custom heads.  I'm trying to remember, but there were several cars playing around with multi-spark heads about a decade ago.  Mercedes has one out now, Alfa Romeo has had one for several years. Looks like the new Dodge Hemi is using 2 plugs per cylinder for emissions.

Looking at that trike, I am wondering if it has 4 distributor caps, it looks like the ones you can see on the right side are 4-each, and only red lines.  The black lines are coming from someplace else?

Brian

QBS

Yes, I noticed the different colored plug leads.  Don't know why two distributors (much less four) would be needed. 

kiawrench

i haven't done much reading on this bike, but i know answer to some of the questions , not all, but some .

the exhaust is a split collector design, as the headers drop under the bike ,they split into two collectors,on each side, allowing the use of side pipes ,and trailing trumpets.  this was done mostly for showing off pipe fitters skills, but it also reduces the noise level just a we bit for the operator. saving his ears ,for a week or so .

the quad distributor is not a new concept, but it is overkill to the extreme on this bike , two would still do the job and look just as cool.
for those that haven't stuck a head under the hood of a NASCAR Cup level car, get ready for a surprise, two complete and seperate ignition systems, double wired to two completely independant ignition control boxes
which ,in effect gives you 4 different ways to get sparks inside your cylinders.
box 1,dist 1
box 2 dist 1
box 1 dist 2
box 2 dist 2
all controlled by 4 toggle switches  
 been doing that for years , seems to keep them going round and round ,until they hit wall or end of race

as for anything else, i dont have an answer, or an idea ,,, thanks for sharing that with us,, now someone loan me the money to get one just like it .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .