Lightning comes from where?

Started by Brian Moffet, August 08, 2008, 05:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moffet

YellowJacket!

We just talked about that in physics.  The video doesn't do it justice though.  If I understand correctly there is first a smaller leader that moves from the ground to the cloud then the larger strike follows the leader back down from the cloud to the ground.
Correct?

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Brian Moffet

I think that's reversed, there is a leader from the sky to the ground and then the bolt goes upward.  That's what this video shows, but the last time I looked at lightning was when I was trying to photograph it :-)

Rick G

If you want to study lightening , you should stand on my deck , during  monsoon season. The weather man said there  there were over 2000 strikes in 3 hours . Its the best light show you will ever see!!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Coil Coyle

From the outer valence of an atom to a hole in the outer valence of another atom. If you follow electron flow.
From the outer valence of an atom to the outer valence of another atom, exchanging an electron, if you follow hole flow.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Huh?

ps2/bikevision

The highest occupied energy band is called the valence band. But, there is a region that separates the valence band from the conduction band where there are no orbitals.