83 Vision Scrambler/Adventure bike

Started by 83VisionAdventureBike, March 10, 2012, 08:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikugun

QuoteRikugun your apology is accepted
Thank you, it's nice to know you don't hold a grudge. 

Now if you were any kind of Visionary, you would apologize to 83VisionScrambler for your presumptuous comments.  :)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

Sorry to see that you are so presumptuous as to feel that I should apologize for anything.  However, since you feel so strongly about the matter, please feel free to do so on my behalf at your earliest convenience.  All the best.

Raj1988

Famous last words: F#$K this sh!t, lets go for a ride
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

83VisionAdventureBike

No apology from QBS is necessary Rikugun. Some people don't know what to do with a new idea. Change scares them. He is just not man enough to ride off-road and that is okay. I will change my terminology for the time being and for the benefit of the group. I have found out that indeed, it would be very expensive to modify my V into a Scrambler. I am not giving up on the idea, just changing my terminology until I secure the funds for a new exhaust etc. etc. I will now be referring to my V as a modified Adventure Touring bike. Hope that sits a little better with the outspoken purists out there. Rest assured though that eventually, I will have a true Vision scrambler.
An explanation of cause is not a justification by reason.
C. S. Lewis

Rikugun

Well, I guess that settles that.  ;)
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Re-Vision

It's going to be a heavy mother. Wish you well.    BDC

Rick G

I ride in the dirt occasionally , but on a'77 Honda XL350 . about 150 lbs lighter. and not so prone to wheel spin. I have followed many dirt roads , both here in AZ and in OR . on my Vision. I horsed it over a 16 inch log on a logging road in OR . Here in AZ I followed  a dirt road , which deterorated to the point that I had turn back or cross a rock strewn creek. This was with street tyres  and the '83 style fairing !!!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

artbone

I think a dual-sport Vision is a great idea. I'm thinking about something similar with my 82 Isle of Man bike. My daily rider is a Suzuki VStrom 1000 so I'm used to big, heavy bikes on dirt. I think the 82 would be better for that kind of use because of the higher handle-bars and forward footpegs. Also the 83 fairing is really heavy on the frontend. My 82 has the little handlebar mount fairing.
I would use some sort of dual-sport tires and maybe an inch or so longer front fork legs and maybe a little longer rear shock for ground clearance and that's about all I would do.
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Rick G

I would junk the lousy 82 riser handle bars and fabricate a set ofd bar mounts . This way you can have any configuration bars you want.
This is exactly what I did with mine . Yellow jacket has a couple of bar mounts , I sent him , as well.
The stock bars are adjustable  in 3 positions. Too low. too high and this ain't no good either.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

artbone

Actually I like the seating position on the 82 better than the 83. It's more of a dual-sport position. After years of choppers, then cafe bikes, then race bikes, it was with a sigh of relief that I arrived at dual-sport bikes. I like the upright seating position with your feet under you so you can stand up easily. I guess it would be easy to buy as set of mounts and install different bars but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My motto: It wasn't broke 'till I fixed it.
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

AdvRich

Yeah, the '82 pegs would be better positioned for stance and control. I was in a bit of jockey position when standing with the '83 in some weave through sections on rougher gravel road sections. The '82 bars might not be too bad in the highest position for D/S work, but regular round bars do offer a lot more choices. They may end up being lighter too with the conversion process of bar mounts and all, and offer a bit of give as well for shock absorption.

I've been thinking of bike options for late fall/winter/early spring riding with the salt and all. I've considered a simple low cost D/S like the DR350 where it could do some limited woods riding I do once in a while. Not to expensive to maintain and easy to wash off. At some point, I may resurrect the idea of using my beater '83 for a winter tag bike and gravel/salt road runner. It was beat when I got it, but it did what I wanted it too for the cheap reentry into riding a couple of years back. The tank already has big dents in each side, and I think that is one of the most valuable/limited pieces on the '83 over the '82, so no further loss there. Time is the big factor though with lots of house projects and other stuff, maybe next winter's fun project.   

Rikugun

QuoteThe tank already has big dents in each side

Rich, was that from falls with the full fairing installed? 

AdvRich

Yeah, I think so as they match the fairing edge. It was part of the mix of good and bad when I boght it. I've seen it on a couple of faired Vees. It's really tough to get an unblembed '83 tank and one fall with the fairing on will dent the thin wall tank.

If/when I do a winter road burner version Vee, I'd like to keep the full fairing on for some cold protection and would work up some crash bars Adv style for some added protection. Heck, maybe some rhinoliner and a bit of Mad Max Hooligan flair for hoots too as part of the modding.

Rikugun

QuoteI've seen it on a couple of faired Vees. It's really tough to get an unblembed '83 tank and one fall with the fairing on will dent the thin wall tank.

I've noticed that too. I bought full fairing last year but am a little leary to install it. :(  My luck it will get knocked over in a parking lot the day I install it and there goes the tank.

AdvRich

Yeah, just the nature of the little beasties. The fairing set up is part of what attracts me to the Vee for function, looks, and I like riding in that bit of a cockpit feeling while tooling around. I'll cry and say WHY if a tip over comes my way..., but in the meantime hope it never happens to my best '83.

Rick G

I have a spare fairing , because I don't want to ride my V with out it . The VX has a handle bar fairing which is no match for the vision '83 pattern fairing.
Rick G

Re-Vision

83 Vision Scrambler/Adventure bike, saw your name on "Users on line" and would like to know how your project is coming?     BDC

zore

I think you have a few issues with the plan.

The bike is heavy.   

I'm also not sure if the stock suspension would be up to the task. 

Parts aren't super easy to get specially 83 stuff.  You may need to send off to Europe to get foot pegs, handle bars and forks since they are different from 82 model and not very many are available in the states.

I know someone will put a hit out on me for saying this, but it's not the most reliable motorcycle you can buy.

Just my 2 cents.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Jirik

I think, everything is possible, if you want. Honda CB 500 also isn't adventure bike and my friend has rode her in Romania mountains heavily loaded and with his girl behind him.
https://plus.google.com/photos/102505378861853015713/albums/5771306237109328897#photos/102505378861853015713/albums/5771306237109328897/5771306807022087682
This is then the adventure  8)

Rikugun

Jirik, those are some awesome pictures!   Love the one where he's crossing the partially covered culvert and the workers look on as if he's nuts.  :)  Your friend definitely has the adventurous spirit.  I agree adventure riding is more about your frame of mind than the machine you ride.  BMW's GS1150/1200 has been the single most popular model sold but I'll bet some have never seen one mile of off pavement use. Incidentally, the big GS is not exactly a light bike at 500+ lbs fully fueled.  ;)

zore, the V may not be the best choice but I can think of less appropriate models too! As far as 83 parts go I'd opt for the 82 controls. The riding position makes for an easier transition to a standing posture which you'll find yourself using often in the gnarly stuff. The upright seated position may be easier for all day riding too. It will never be a KTM 990 Adventure but with some tire and suspension upgrades you could carefully pick your way through trouble spots to find remote locations you'd otherwise never enjoy. Come to think of it engine guards and a skid plate might be prudent additions too.  ;D Just my 2 cents. :D