Finally Got er done.

Started by davexz, April 23, 2011, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davexz

Thanks to everyones for help on this one - I finally got my $123 Vision going.  One of the last things I did was put the brake reservoir screws in that Tiger gave me- very thoughtful.  I gotta admitt I sure do like the bike, its a lot different for sure then others I have ridden.  But I have to say I think my Honda VF500 is faster.  These are the good characteristics that come to mind - agile yet very stable, cool sound, big gas tank, twin, good gas mileage, solid feel all around and solid transmission feel, smooth shaft drive, torquey, liquid cooling, light weight.  Whats funny, I thought they were ugly when they came out and now I like the looks.  My tastes have changed a lot in many things as I have gotten older.  For those interested here is what I did -

Unstuck motor, new cylinder, cleaned and adjusted carbs, changed the R&R to a modern one, did the starter clutch fix (bolts were out and a mess), new starter clutch, rebuilt starter motor, cleaned out oil pump screen, fork seals and dust covers, front brake caliper seals, brake master cylinder rebuild, changed out fuse box, removed YICs box, new thermostat, new headlight, rebuilt petcock, new tires front & back, new rear brake braket bolts, new clutch starter switch.

Some people wonder why would someone put so much time and money in an old bike - I wonder why people watch so much TV or hit a ball around.  Bikes are cool, I just like them.

davexz

I guess I forgot a couple things - new carb holders (thanks again Tiger), air cleaner, fuel filter, oil and filter, spark plugs, TCI box, blinkers.

Tiger

:) Pleased I could help buddy. I suppose its my way of repaying all those that helped me out when I first came on board...by helping other Visionaries get the most out of their Vision's 8)

With the purchase of 'The Mistress', custom paint work, upgrades, etc, etc, my Vision, over six years of ownership, stands me about $4,500.00!!! and she is worth EVERY damn dime, to me.

Now that you have bonded with your old girl, got to really know her, you will enjoy the fruits of your labour...and all the while thinking...hmmmm, what else can I do to improve MY Vision :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D.... 8)

Enjoy buddy. Ride her like you stole her :o ;)

8) ....... TIGER ....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

where would we be without Tiger! he's a  :angel:

now, lets see some pics of 123V
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Night Vision

hope she looks better than this $350 one

don't think the looks of this one would grow on ya
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

looks like the paint tinting machine @ work puked...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

davexz

Well here is a picture of 123V.  Not much to look at but runs good and I don't have to worry about it.  I need to get the side covers on it.  My next project is another one that looks about the same.

Re-Vision

Looks to me you got a bargain, don't see any serious problems.    BDC

Tiger

Quote from: Re-Vision on April 24, 2011, 11:30:15 PM
Looks to me you got a bargain, don't see any serious problems.    BDC

:) I have to agree... 8)

The initial stages are the hardest.....bring it in, trying to work out the previous owner(s) mistakes and spend some time and money fixin' her.

Once you have her running properly and road ready for the start of the season, ride her!!!

The first season back on the road for these once neglected now loved old girls, from an owners point of view, is time spent riding and working the wee bugs out...a wee tweak here and a wee tweak there sort of thing. The next season and the next just keep getting better and better.

Cosmetics.....They come around again during the winter off season... ;)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Lucky

change those brake bar bolts...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

davexz

Thanks guys.  Yep Lucky I did change those bolts. :)

davexz

The bike was a mess when I got it.  Every bike has a past story I try and figure out.  This one I got from a motorcycle dealer.  I think the story went somthing like this.... the starter clutch went out and started making noise, they brought it in and tried to fix it, they tore the top end down looking for something and then put it back together with the valves out of time, it wouldn't run because of the valves or the starter clutch so they let it sit and the motor locked up.  When I got it apart I could tell that the engine had just been gone through but never started.  The starter clutch problem was probably the demise of many Visions.

Tiger

Quote from: davexz on April 25, 2011, 08:39:43 AM
The starter clutch problem was probably the demise of many Visions.

>:( Sadly, your right...many a good Vision ended up in a wreckers yard, years before its time, due to misdiagnosis of the stator clutch coming loose/adrift  ::)

VFan

DaveXZ,
Those exhaust pipes look quite clean and the seat looks in great condition. Consider yourself fortunate.

In case you're interested, I noticed a a comment that muukow made a month or so ago stating that he was able to pull dents out of his tank with a stud welder. I thought that was an interesting approach.

VFan

davexz

Yea - the dent sticks out but I'm just glad it doesn't leak.  Someone repaired it at the bottom points where they seem to pit through.  But whatever they did seems to be holding up.  I'll just keep looking for another tank and maybe sometime I'll run across one. 

Mike Jacobs

Quote from: VFan on April 25, 2011, 10:32:01 PM
DaveXZ,
In case you're interested, I noticed a a comment that muukow made a month or so ago stating that he was able to pull dents out of his tank with a stud welder. I thought that was an interesting approach.

VFan

I pulled some minor dents out of my Vision tank with one of thosa hot-glue screw-on thingies they sell at consumer-oriented auto parts stores - Dent Magic or summat - worked great.   Only works if it's a small simple dent on a flat surface, though, no compound curves.
Mike Jacobs
Columbia, MD
1985 Honda VF700S Sabre
1984 Moto Guzzi V65SP
1982 Yamaha XZ550 Vision US
1978 Suzuki GS550 standard
1996 Kawasaki EX250 Ninja