News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

The Great Pumpkin Rides again!

Started by h2olawyer, March 25, 2007, 09:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

Well, here's a good one!  As I was putting the cleaned carbs back on G.P., I decided to figure out why the long tubing went from each oil breather in the valve covers to the opposite end of the air box.  Turns out the last time they were off, the mechanic put the rear valve cover on the front head & vise - versa.  The fittings for the oil breather tubes are different sizes.  Small one goes on the front - large to the rear.  Anyway, I'm about 1/2 way through swapping them back.

As I cleaned the carbs, I also put on the modified front carb top, the modifies airbox top, little air filter, etc.  Now the intake is upraded as per the Tech Bulletin.  The upgrade kit should have 135s in both carb tops.  The front top that was part of the kit came with the pilot air jet installed.  That's why there's only one listed in the kit contents.  If you read the TSB, it becomes clear.

At least there was a sintered bronze fuel filter on the carbs & they looked very clean inside - even though they have been sitting a while.  No gum or varnish I could find.  Decided to just spray liberal amounts of cleaner through the passages & blow lots of air through them.  Did have to unclog one of the accelerator pump nozzles but it wasn't a big deal.  Spray pattern & trajectory look great in both carbs now.

Yes, I even remembered to lengthen the accelerator pump rod by 5mm & put blue loctite on the threads.

Well, back to the valve cover reswap.   ::)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

Quote from: h2olawyer on March 29, 2007, 09:37:19 PM

As I cleaned the carbs, I also put on the modified front carb top, the modifies airbox top, little air filter, etc.  Now the intake is upraded as per the Tech Bulletin.  The upgrade kit should have 135s in both carb tops.  The front top that was part of the kit came with the pilot air jet installed.  That's why there's only one listed in the kit contents.  If you read the TSB, it becomes clear.

ah-so... very interesting! thanks for the clarification. I have 130f/135r. runs great that way but there is quite a difference in the pilot screw settings 5.5f/2r...

I'll probably keep it that way, but I'm going to save that nugget of info..
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

That was . . . . . interesting.  I had a real bear of a time getting the front cylinder valve cover off.  It was loose & couldn't see anything interfering.  After giving it a real manhandling - with the aid of a litttle, tiny pry bar, it came up.  Turns out whoever worked on it last used a screw type hose clamp on the cooling hose for that head.  The cover was wedged underneath it.   ::)

After getting the covers off, I had to clean all the sealant used on the gaskets.  Looked a lot like white silicone caulk.   :o  Went back together much easier.  Now that I know the clamp is there, I can remove it  before the cover comes off again.

All is together & there's a little fresh fuel in the tank.  Set petcock to prime & am waiting for the carbs to fill.  Hoping it will fire up tonight!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

h2olawyer

No VROOM yet.   :'(  Fuel = check.  Spark = check.  Clean plugs = check.  Clean, fresh fuel = check.  Will wait until Friday afternoon to do any more diagnosis.  I did coax one good Vision backfire out of her so she's real close to firing up.  Just kind of tired to give it anymore good thought.  Probably something simple, though.  The new battery is back on the tender jr. for the night.

H2O

kwells

almost there
btw what is the diff in the modified carbs?  do you mean 83 carbs? 
also curious about checking the acclerator nozzles
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

When the 82 Vision was first introduced, it had no vacuum actuated flapper door in the airbox.  That was a mid-year fix to help with Vision Stumble Disorder.  (VSD)  Later 82s came with the fix but earlier ones were supposed to be upgraded by the dealer - on all existing stock & any brought in by customers who bought a V prior to the fix becoming available.

This is the TSB associated with the fix:

www.ridersofvision.net/Technical/Airbox/airbox.html

Glad I had all the parts (except for an additional 135 pilot air jet) to complete the fix.  The parts haven't been available from the dealer for quite some time.  (no surprise there)

The 83 carbs are entirely different animals.  They actually work without having to be perfectly adjusted, spotlessly clean & upgraded.  Although, as with any carbs, they do work best when clean, adjusted & synchronized as accurately as possible.

H2O

kwells

ok i see...you were referring to the box only

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

It's not just the box, its also the top of the front carb that actuates the vacuum pot for the flapper door.

IT LIVES!  Got it fired up this evening.  Spent a few minutes rechecking all things carburetor.  Ran air through them again & success!  Not running well, but running.  Garage is pretty smoky now.   ::)  Need to let it air out.  Starter clutch needs work.  As she begins to fire, she makes loud "clunks" several times before she actually starts running.  Sounds terrible.  After it's running, no odd noises.  Actually sounds pretty good.  Hard to tell where all the smoke is coming from at this point.  The exhaust is covered in oil so that's part of it.

Done for tonight.  Will take it out & wash it tomorrow, then spend some time getting her to idle better.  Mixture & synch should take care of it.  May need to fix YICS - not sure yet.  Then comes rebuilding the forks & front brake.  Will also put on the old Cheap Skins.  Then comes the clutch perch, lever & cable, electrics (new fuse block & clean all connectors).  Need to figure out why tach isn't working. (tried a different TCI - no help) Have a good tach unit to replace it with if necessary.  Also need to replace front fender & headlight bucket (have 2 NOS buckets).  That will be a good time to clean all the connections.

Monday, I go get it insured, registered & plated.  Will order a new set of Cometic case cover gaskets so I can cure the leaks & attack the starter clutch.  The stator from Tim Parrott arrived today so I have one - just in case.  Should be road ready by the middle of next week.  Then comes the fun stuff - polishing, painting & farkles!

H2O

Tiger

8) Congrats h,
...Another one woken from a long, deep sleep... 8) A resurrection, a week from Easter, Hmmmmm ;D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Walt_M.

Think he ought to put a chain on it next weekend or would it matter?
Whale oil beef hooked!

h2olawyer

Quote from: Tiger on March 31, 2007, 06:35:05 AM
8) Congrats h,
...Another one woken from a long, deep sleep... 8) A resurrection, a week from Easter, Hmmmmm ;D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

No miracles here - just tricks learned from previous ownership & this forum!   ;D

Walt - What's a chain?   ;)

H2O

Night Vision

Quote from: h2olawyer on March 30, 2007, 01:50:57 AM

I did coax one good Vision backfire out of her.............

the good thing about backfarts is they blow the carbon and rust right out'cher pipes..
consider it preventative maintenance  ;)
;D

h2olawyer

Starting, idling & revving better.  At least the idle speed screw is set low enough that the bike quickly returns to idle after revving it up.  Took a few minutes of mixture futzing to get it to that point.  Will probably need to do a for real carb clean with dip, though.  Checked for vacuum leaks - found none.  Ran it until fan came on.  Speaking of the fan - it had a nice wasp nest built in it & was disconnected.
Hadn't run in a while, so there was quite a bit of smoke from the exhaust initially.  As it warmed, the smoke gradually decreased.  After it cooled a bit, I restarted it & had a little smoke at first, but none visible after just a few seconds.

Electrics are working much better.  Tach now functions. (loose wire)  New headlight bucket installed & all connections in there cleaned.  Swapped the right front turn signal unit with one from donor bike.  Lights all work but don't flash.  Thinking relay.  Left switchset is a bit rugged.  Have a better one in a box I'll be installing later - when I do the forks & front brake rebuild.

Spent about 5 minutes trying to figure out what plugs into the green connector in the bucket.  Only after I went to get the front brakelight switch (missing on pumpkin) did I remember.  D'oh!  The brakelight switch doesn't fit the master cylinder properly, so I'll have to use the one from donor bike.   :P

Installed the horn cover, correct front brake lever, clutch perch & lever.  Next is to figure out if the neutral & high beam idiot lights are  disconnected or burned out.  Hadn't paid any attention to it before, but the speedo needle is pegged @ 85+ MPH.  Looks like another swap from donor bike.   ::)

May have a line on at least one good set of mufflers - may not have to go with the MACs after all.  If I find more than one good set of mufflers, I'll let everyone know.  Shipping might be spendy.

All in all, not too bad so far.  Still need to swap the tires & install a new fuseblock.  But, after insurance & plates, I can take it out for road tests!   8)

H2O

h2olawyer

Well, todays project was to refurbish the top triple tree, bar risers, switches, levers, headlight bucket, install replacement front brake light switch, clutch safety switch, swap the gauges & swap the tailcone & tail light with the one from donorbike.  Replaced all the small light bulbs in the speedo / tach & idiot lights.  Gave the Pumpkin a quick bath as well.  Discovered tonight that Pumpkin has a leak in the right side cover where the brake pedal contacted it in a bit of a slide sometime earlier in its life.

Started it & let it run a while today as well.  Every time it runs, it gets better.  Still think I'll need to do a carb dip.  Also want to get a 135 jet for the front carb pilot air jet.  Got a 130 in there now.

All the plastics are on it - some from donor so it's a combination of charcoal grey & orange now.  This week will see a transformation to gray primer.  Will stay that way until the rest of the restoration is complete.

H2O

h2olawyer

Not as much done today.  Swapped rear wheels between donor & Pumpkin.  Dismounted the old Bridgestone Spitfire and mounted the Cheap Skin.  Not as good a tire, but lots more tread.  Got the brake plate all shiny and clean, in & out.  Put never sieze on the posts & moving parts in the brakes - also on all the moving parts up to the pedal.  Sure works smooth & easy now.  Also reinstalled the Axle spacers correctly - not with both at the nut side like when I took it apart.   ::)

After the forks get swapped, the front brake system gets replaced, front tire changed to the other Cheap Skin & the front fender is changed with an unbroken one (so the speedo cable isn't flapping in the breeze), it will be ready for test riding!!  Guess I ought to get it registersd & insured before that happens.

Started to polish the spare right case cover today.  It's really oxidized.  May try the Dupli-Color MetalCast paint system.  Supposed to look anodized (without the expense & probably durability).  It does put up with heat & is OK for engine use according to the manufacturer.

I know reckon probably has a better way to do it, but this will be inexpensive, look OK for a while & keep the restoration rolling.  Figure I can always remove the paint & do it right later - if need be.  I plan on keeping this V for a year or so, then selling it so it doesn;t have to last that long.  Three years or so would be nice.

I start the bike & let it get to operating temp daily.  It starts & runs better every time.  Still likely needs a full dip on the carbs but its doing really well considering it has been sitting for a while.  Also, no more smoke from the exhaust any more upon starting & when running.  Think the rings needed to reseat.  Now, the only smoke is from all the gunk on the exhaust.   ::)

Should be riding it on a regular basis by the end of the week.   8)

H2O

kwells

www.wellsmoto.com

Night Vision

;D

h2olawyer

Well, forks from donorbike swapped (they don't leak).  Front Cheap Skin Hi-Max mounted.  Master cylinder, hose & caliper swapped for the ones I removed from my V a few years ago when I went to the dual discs.  Front fender from donorbike installed.  All torqued back to specs & cotter pin installed.  Need to add brake fluid & bleed the system tomorrow.  Will finish the electrical clean-up & fuse block replacement then as well.

You would think that from two recently running Vs, at least one would have had a functioning speedo.  Nope.   ::)  Cables in both shot.  May go to Napa for the universal replacement core, or just order a new, complete one from Yamaha or Dennis Kirk.  The NAPA option gets me on the road sooner but the Yamaha OEM one is only about $10.

Getting to crunch time for exhaust decision.  Keep flipping between finding a set of OEM mufflers or refurbishing the MACs.

After removing a few more parts from donorbike, I'll be moving it out to the side of the house &  wrapping it in a tarp.  Will be tearing it further apart later this summer & make parts available.   :'(  Hate to do it, but the overall condition and lack of title make that the best option.  I know the engine in donorbike is a strong runner, so I'll be keeping it.  Will fog the cylinders & protect it from sun & moisture.

Now, if I could just locate a shark fairing body . . .

H2O