Tell me about your self!!

Started by Rick G, October 25, 2003, 08:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dchakrab

My real name's Dave, and I was born in '80 near Ann Arbor, Michigan. Family moved to south GA when I was 3, and then my parents seperated when I was 11, so my brother and I went back to India with our mom (both my parents are Indian). I grew up half in the US and half in India as a result.

Came back to the US for college, when I was 19, and hated it (Haverford College, PA, to be exact). Ended up going back to India for a summer and not coming back for a year...bought my first bike there, on an impulse. Went from "Hey, it'd be nice to learn how to ride a bike, don't you think?" to having a motorcycle in my driveway in 3 days.

It's an 83 (I think, it's hard to be sure) Enfield Bullet, 350 cc thumper, lots of character, somewhat moody and tempestuous when it's not treated right. This summer I had the engine / clutch / transmission / everything rebuilt, so it's running as good as new at present...actually, a little better than new in some respects, since the older Enfields are heavier and more solidly built, and also have much heavier flywheel / crank assemblies, among other things.

Bought my first US bike last week; an 83 vision. Am currently trying to solve titling woes and figure out a petcock solution so I can go get licensed, and then I'll be getting to work in 20 minutes instead of the 2 hours it takes me now.

I work in website design and search engine optimization, and am currently working for my martial arts instructor (I take hapkido, judo, taekwondo, and kendo) and for a nonprofit organisation in India (Nirman, www.nirmanweb.com). I'm hoping to transfer and finish up my degree in a year or so.

Hi everybody.

-Dave.

Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

YellowJacket!

I'll add another "Dave" to the list.

Name is David.  Born in New York, grew up in Rhode Island, went to school in Pennsylvania (military school...anyone see the movie TAPS?), moved to TN in 1984 and have been here ever since.

I'm a young 38 with three kids.  I am a full time Critical Care Respiratory Therapist in a large Knoxville hospital.  I own a small computer repair buiness that I run on my days off, which, however, will now be occupied with my new hobby.  I spend a lot of time on www.tabletpcbuzz.com offering help for users of tablet PC's,  but now ROV seems to have nudged that site down a notch on my favorites list.

I got my bike from a co-worker who was looking ot get rid of it. He was the second owner of it and although he owned it for about 5 years, he only rode it the first year.  Its a very low mileage bike for an 82...less than 5000 miles and is in very good shape for a bike that has ben sitting under a deck/tarp for half a decade.  The bike has a bit of history to it.  The original owner was, shal we say um...incarcerated and due to "walk the mile", however some unfortunate circumstances befell him prior to his scheduled appointment.

Anyway, I look forward to all I can learn here and the friends I hope to make and, of course...getting my bike running.

My previous experience with motorcycles was when I was 14 - 16 with dirt bikes (Suzuki DS125 and RM250). I did a lot of work on them when I was young and adventerous.  Mainly because I broke them a lot actually.  They were pretty simple compared to what I have now but hey, I'm a quick learner and it didn't cost me anything.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

Hey DaveTn, i'm in East Greenwich! what part of 'lil' Rhody' did you grow up in?

Bet you'd kill for a Dells right about now, hehe  ;D

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Kevin

I'll try this too. I'm 46 years old, haven't  grown up yet or learned how to type. Grew up in the country with a motorcross track in the back yard and a big woods to play in. My little brother and I raced motorcross, hare scrambles and Enduro in southern Ill. and Missouri. We always had a yard full of motorcycles and kids growing up. I bought a 750 waterbuffalo my senior year in high school and went solo to  Montana 3 weeks after graduation.  I put 100K  miles on the buffalo before I traded it in on a new 1982 R100RS. 23 years later I'm still riding the BMW. My brother in law stored a Vision in my garage 22 years ago and when my son turned 16 he gave it to him. With a little help from ROV The Vision has been running for 2 years now. My daughter turns sixteen in July.  I'm putting together a black Vision for her. Other hobbies, we go to mountain man rendevous, set up my tipi and demostrate primitive living skills,  I'm part Indian. We  also do Shotokan Karate. I wish the guy with the vision and the royal enfield losta luck.          Kevin :)

YellowJacket!

QuoteHey DaveTn, i'm in East Greenwich! what part of 'lil' Rhody' did you grow up in?

Bet you'd kill for a Dells right about now, hehe ?;D

--Lucky

I grew up in North Kingstown. ?Lived there from 70 to 84. ?Used to spend a lot of time in EG.
If my bike was running, I'd ride it up there JUST TO GET A DELLS. Heck, I think I may even push it up there for a Dells.
I took my wife and kids up there about 5 years ago to show them where I grew up and of course to let them sample some Dells Frozen Lemonade and it was a big hit. ?If you are familiar with NK, I lived off Potter Road on a little Cul-De-Sac called Green Farms Ln. (the house at the end with the pond). ?Used to ride my dirt bikes in the big field next to Grossmans Lumber and at an old sand and gravel plant (where I nearly got killed).
I forget the name of the boatyard where we used to keep our boat, but it was in East G. ?My friends dad used to run it.

Best Regards,

David

Lucky

Your gonna laugh, that's where i got my Vision, right off Chadsey rd!

Send my your shipping address, i have a surprise for you!

--Lucky

EH

When I ride to Quonset (work) I get off Post Road, zing down Potowomut Road, and them swoop down Potter Road past Green Farm and Delvechios Farm. It is filling up with houses there now and the N.K. police have no sense of humor. I was a pest in North Kingstown in the time you were there. Ever go to Capn' Stus?

YellowJacket!

QuoteWhen I ride to Quonset (work) I get off Post Road, zing down Potowomut Road, and them swoop down Potter Road past Green Farm and Delvechios Farm. It is filling up with houses there now and the N.K. police have no sense of humor. I was a pest in North Kingstown in the time you were there. Ever go to Capn' Stus?

Used to ride up and down Potowamut rd all the time.  Used to fish at the pond there too.

My favorite fishing hole was at Delvechios farm.  My friend steve got a shocking experience there once when he was stepping over the electric fence.  He straddled rather than jumped....ouch!

I miss Capn' Stus and I MISS QUAHOGS!!!  Nobody down here seems to know what a quahog is.  One person even told me it sounds like someone coughing up a hairball.

Is the Post Road Inn still there??  How about the Ground Round?

David

EH

Both gone. One of my beer swilling friends back then was stupid enough to relieve himself on an electric fence around his neighbors goat pen! We all saw he needed to go and did not think he would do it right there and I never laughed so hard in my life. We laughed so hard we woke the  sleeping homeowners andwe ran away without him. We went back and got him almost immediately and tucked him in to suffer in silence. Great place to be a twenty something.

Lucky

When i was 17 i worked at the Ground Round as -get this- Bingo the Birthday clown! No shit! ? Giving one of the waitresses a ride home one night she lit up something, lets just say she lit up... anyway, don't know what this particular stuff was, but i woke up at 4:30 in the morning parked nearly under the watertower that was then in a restricted area of Quonset... to this day i have no idea how i got out either..

"no no no i don't pthhhiip no more, tired of waking up on the floor..."

Mutt

Since I will be riding the dragon in July everyone from EROV should know a little about me. I was born in Chattanooga in 1960 (44). Raised in Ft Oglethorpe, Ga till 17yrs old then moved to Smithfield, NC. I joined the Coast Guard in 1982, retired to Clayton, NC Aug 03. Was stationed Clearwater, Fl/ NewYork, NY/ Newport News, Va (2times)/ Atlantic Beach, NC/ Alameda, Ca/ Charleston, SC/ Sault Ste. Marie, MI/ San Diego, Ca.

I've been riding for about 29 years and it's still fun. I will probably buy a trike when I can no longer stand on my own (hopefully a long time away)!

Most challenging ride.. (to date) a honda 100 enduro through the battery tunnel in NY at rush hour. (also the stupid'est ride)

Most beautiful ride..north of Sault Ste. Marie, Canada around lake Superior early fall. (watch for moose)

Most fun in one day ride..leave San Diego AM and ride to the mountains to the Julian area. Then later in the afternoon ride back out to the beach for a sun-downer party!
"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
- Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
"I invented the internet." -Al Gore, Vice President

Mutt

Bump. Since it's been a year and I was the last one to post on this thread it's time some new folks posted here.  :) Besides, I feel like I killed this thread so it'll help my feelings if new people posted here too.

Mutt

Rick G

While I'm at it I'll upgrade mine.  Ive been riding for 45 of my 64 years . I was the deputy tuner  on a BSA Gold Star  at Ascot park  in Gardena CA.  in the early  '60's
The offical tuner  had lost his left leg in a bike wreck and couldn't kick the think over !  I rode production road racing  at the long gone Riverside track and at Willow springs , rode a bit of TT  and some enduros too.
I worked for nearly 20 years in the motorcycle industry in SOCAL . But when it started to fall apart in the early '80's  , I went to school  and studied HVAC.  When I was too old to climb ladders  and crawl around in attics, I went back to my first love  and enjoy it very much . My next project is to make one running bike out of the  three  1982 Yamaha XR200's  sitting beside the shed.

We moved  to Kingman AZ. nearly two years ago ( the rain in OR.  can get to you)
I had a small  repair shop for a while , but , the local Artic Cat dealer convinced me I should work part time for him , and I've been enjoying it a lot!

I've done a bit of 4 wheeling  too as there are loads of old mines and ghost towns around here.

I ride almost every week year round , I've only got so many miles left  and I want to enjoy them on my Vision
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

don_vanecek

As my post says I'm Don Vanecek and I live north of Blair, NE, I'm a bit older then most of you at 56.  I'm a Social Worker for the State of Nebraska and have six kids all of them now grown. I grew up in Omaha, NE.

My first motorcycle was a Yamaha twin jet 100 in 1969, I then went to a Yamaha 180 twin. Neither one of these bikes was nothing to brag about. In 1971 bought a 1970 CB350 honda from a friend of mine. Drove that 350 till May of 1984 when I bought a brand new 1982 Vision that I still have today. The Vision sure seemed like a "just right" bike when I bought it, not too big, not to small, shaft drive, had to have the dealer pick it up two days later as it was leaking all its gas out of our famous petcock (still not fixed, I use a shut off valve in the fuel line) Rode my Vision to about 21000 miles up to the fall of 1994 and by then the bike had all the usual Vision problems. The bike sat till about a year ago when thanks to our wonderful forum (and I mean it, I have most of the issues of the original ROV magazine, including the first issue, and let me tell you we really fumbled in the dark back then-we had no expert like Lucky in those days) I was on the streets again last summer and hope to be for years to come.

Mutt

Quote from: don_vanecek on March 27, 2006, 12:54:06 PM
As my post says I'm Don Vanecek and I live north of Blair, NE, I'm a bit older then most of you at 56.? I'm a Social Worker for the State of Nebraska and have six kids all of them now grown. I grew up in Omaha, NE.

My first motorcycle was a Yamaha twin jet 100 in 1969, I then went to a Yamaha 180 twin. Neither one of these bikes was nothing to brag about. In 1971 bought a 1970 CB350 honda from a friend of mine. Drove that 350 till May of 1984 when I bought a brand new 1982 Vision that I still have today. The Vision sure seemed like a "just right" bike when I bought it, not too big, not to small, shaft drive, had to have the dealer pick it up two days later as it was leaking all its gas out of our famous petcock (still not fixed, I use a shut off valve in the fuel line) Rode my Vision to about 21000 miles up to the fall of 1994 and by then the bike had all the usual Vision problems. The bike sat till about a year ago when thanks to our wonderful forum (and I mean it, I have most of the issues of the original ROV magazine, including the first issue, and let me tell you we really fumbled in the dark back then-we had no expert like Lucky in those days) I was on the streets again last summer and hope to be for years to come.

Good story Don. I like to think that the people that ride the V are as timeless as the bike itself!  :)

Mutt

ps2/bikevision

well why not. names james, im 24, live in michigan and working in indiana. i stay in IN all weekend and only make it home about every other weekend now. i haul campers from the factory to another lot where there stored till they get shipped to the dealer. i got a medical discharge from the army and went to work after driving semi. i left that company and (retired) till now.
      i got my first vision in november 2003. i traded a playstation2 even up for it. hience the name. i put a battery and modified a clutch cable for it and off i went. i got a parts bike with the first one and just got me another running vision last month.  the bug has done hit me.

Tiger

:) I'll try and keep this short......... ::)
The name's John, I'm 53 (in June), a.k.a. Tiger, a handle I got , when I first started my auto mechanic's apprentiship, because of my aggresive style of riding....... :P
Born in England, to English mother and Scottish father, who where both in the royal Air Force (cook's) at the time.
First bike was a wee Honda 90 that I got free off an uncle, soon got rid of that..... :-X , also had, among a few other's, a B.S.A. C15 S.S. and a Ducati 200 Elite which I bought from a guy that used to do amateur road racing, 21/2 gallon fibre glass racing tank, single race seat, clip on's, rear set's,etc a great bike that made me a fair few extra pound's sterling in it's day......Sold it after I broad sided a car, never did handle right after that ...... ??? anyway, the then wife had been naggin' me to be more responsible as a married man and by then a father..... ::) left two wheel's for to many year's but never lost the BUG.... ;D
FAST FORWARD....Came to Canada nearly 10 year's ago on the back of a second D.I.V.O.R.C.E.... :o Now with a great woman, who claimes to understand me...... ::).Took Canadian citizenship, so as I tell most people...English by birth, Scottish by rite and a PROUD Canadian....by choice.
Picked up my Vision, July last year, while on a customer call...yes, I'm in sales.....I'm self employed and sell leasing to a wide variety of business's ( both sides of the border !!!)
Got my Canadian bike license, rode the "V" for a few month's..... and regreted the on-slaught of winter. Now getting her re-dressed for spring and looking forward to warm sun, dry road's and meeting with my new Visionary buddie's for a whole lotta fun.....Roll on spring....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Blurred Vision

Well my name is Jason I'm 28, born in charlottown P.E.I lived in ontario for the past 27 years. The vision is my first and only bike, still working at getting my M liscence and my vision in tip top shape. I worked as a butcher for 18 years under the training of my dad and for several local abetoirs. I have since changed careers and have taught myself the mysterious art of wood finishing. I am the Finishing supervisor for an up and coming high end custom cabinetry shop and hope to one day open my own shop. If I haden't been given the vision I probably wouldn't have a bike at all, it's my best friend and worst enemy at times, but we have an uncharted future together and that's all that matters.
Jay

Phatjap

My name name is Neil, born and bred in the UK.  My handle 'Phatjap' refers to my love of all Japanese vehicles I have/do own.My girlfriend and I dream of moving to a warmer and less rainy country very often!. Started riding 20 years ago on 125's, now at 37 I decided to remove the 'L' plates and do my test and get a real bike...
The Vision was actually an accident, I asked a guy at work if he wanted to sell me his bike that he often told me how he started to fix up in his  garage 15 years ago, (met his girlfriend and never got round to finnishing it)and he said yes. He replaced everything possible on it, powdercoated it all and just had some bits left to do on it, which I finnished. Now I have two problems left, a weave and starter clutch tap, not bad for a 22 year old bike which was an abandoned project. Until recently I thought I was the only Vision rider in the world, till I discovered this great site!!
Cheers,

Phatjap.
Skype me. Phatjap

dj

I'll restart this thread, it has been dormant for awhile now.

My name is Donald (DJ are my initials) and I live in Kenduskeag Maine.  Lived in ME all of my life (a short 25 years).  I will have been married to my loving wife for 7 years on August 28th of this year.  Two kids, daughter (Alida who is 5 years old) and a son (Dax who is 9 months old).

I have only been riding for about 1 year now, and have three bikes in the driveway right now.  My first bike was a (still own it) 1979 Suzuki GS1000E (aka the BEAST) model that ran like crud when I first got it, but after spending about 6 months "tinkering" on it I have it running pretty good.  I say pretty good, because it runs great but the gas mileage is a little off (only get 30 MPG out of it).

I also own a 1978 GS1000 (parts bike for the 1979 one) and the 1982 V (will be named once it is finished) that I am currently restoring.  I bought the V because of the lower seat hiegth (the BEAST sits so high at the seat that I have a hard time flat footing it, let alone backing it up) and the smaller engine (the 1000cc engine is good for runs on the highway, but a little bit of a pain for in town riding when I don't get a chance to open her up.

I am a proud member of the Maine Air National Guard (hooah Maineiacs) as a Radio Maintenance Technician.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)