New Conversations with Electrex (3/10/04)

Started by Lucky, March 10, 2004, 10:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

so why not just wire the fan into the R/R output?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Thought about that originally - don't remember why I dismissed it - maybe I didn't.  Just hadn't thought about it between deciding it probably wouldn't fit and reading the posting yesterday.  The mind . . . it's a terrible thing.
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Walt_M.

You just had to make me look didn't you Lucky! Because it would not be switched or fused! And the wire to the taillight is right there.
Only thing I might change is that mine blows toward the R/R, I think I'll reverse the connection to pull air away from the R/R.
Whale oil beef hooked!

h2olawyer

That makes sense, Walt.  Both the fused circuit and pulling air away from the R/R.  The fan moves over 30 cfm so it should help keep things cooler back there.

Looks like we're going to have a rainy afternoon so I think I'll go out and install it later today.  I'll take photos of the process so anyone interested can see how it's done if they're interested.  Let me know if you want the pics posted.

H2o
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Walt_M.

What I have not yet experienced is a good, wet ride with the R/R cooling fan. It is not waterproof, at least mine isn't so I don't know if it'll take a good hard rainstorm. I suspect that it might be ok as the area is somewhat protected and doesn't look like it gets wet a lot, but the fan might change that. Maybe I'll put a switch on it for just such an occasion.
Whale oil beef hooked!

h2olawyer

My fan isn't waterproof either.  At least I live in a semi-arid climate.  Doesn't rain often, but when we get it, it often comes down in buckets.  One storm here in 1997 dumped 14 inches of rain in a 12 hour period.  Our normal annual moisture - rain + water content of snow - is just under 20 inches.  That was quite a storm!

Just finished drilling & tapping the R/R and test fitting the 2" #6 screws.  #8s seemed too wide to fit between the fins.  No real stress there so I think they'll be fine.  Used stainless hardware.  Going out w/ camera now and will try to put it together.  Hope there's room.  Tried a test fit before starting & fan interferes with relays even without spacing.  Let y'all know how it goes from here.

H2o

h2olawyer

The R/R cooling fan is installed & running.  8)  Thank you, Walt for the idea and the additional info.  It really helped.  With the slight offset I used when mounting it to the R/R, it clears the relays OK.  Tapped into license plate light circuit.  Bullet connectors there were convenient and fan uses only .16A.  I have some photos of it - the parts, the assembled unit & after installed.  Can either post them or e-mail to those interested.

H2o

MotorPlow

I just received this unit from AeroStich http://www.aerostich.com
Its a digital VoltMeter with a Clock, Battery Condition LEDs and two (2) thermometers.  I plan on putting one in with the R/R, the other one is internal in the unit which will be mounted either inside the fairing or under ther idiot lights.  The thermometer also has a Black Ice Alert, but it is probably for the sensor that I plan on putting in with the R/R.  This little thing really has a lot to offer and all for $33.00 Shipped.

Here is AeroStich's description:
5-Function Digital Meter  
Info galore in a compact, digital format that could fit nicely in your bikes' cockpit. Two thermometers incorporating a ice/freeze alert, a voltage meter, a three-LED battery condition meter, and a combination clock/stopwatch that operates in either 12 or 24 hour formats tells you a lot about your surroundings, the time, and the condition of your charging system. A 'black ice' alert flashes when that hazardous road condition threatens. Temperature minimums and maximums can be stored in memory and cleared easily. Measures 5.5" x 1" x .75".

CAT. NO. 4632    $ 27.00    

I will keep you posted after I get it installed.  Just 3 wires to connect....

Chris
Callaway, VA

h2olawyer

I've seen those someplace and was wondering where to get one.  Now I know.  Thanks, Chris!  Tried several internet searches to no avail.  Would be an excellent addition to any bike but to Visions in particular.

H2o

kiawrench

motorplow---- and h20----
 ?you guys are some kind of good when it comes to finding add on stuff,,,,, ?went and peeked at the aerostich web site,, spent two hours just window shopping,, they really have some sweet gear on line ,,,and great prices on a lot of it . now just have to sell kidney to buy all the stuff i saw !!!
 ? anyone that hasn't been to that site, take note,, if it is priced really high,, read it again,,, then think,,, re: holograhic vehicle projector set for motorcycles,,, lmao
   i did find  a  FEW things there i am going to buy this year, close to 20 items ,, about 300.00 worth of gear,,, mostly road trip items,,, lighten my current load .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

MotorPlow

Y'all,
AreoStich also offers thier jam packed catalog for free,  just click on the link in thier site and it will show up in your Snail Mail Box.

Enjoy,
Chris

gbranche

Radio Shack has a similar product:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F010%5F005%5F001%5F000&product%5Fid=63%2D1039#

It's about half the price, but would need to be waterproofed for use on a bike, and has a different display and controls. I found it when searching for a thermometer for the bike. I have no direct experience with it.

Greg

Walt_M.

H2o is right about the fan mounting screws, I used #6s too. The #8s I bought are still on my workbench.
Interesting looking combo meters. If I get much more stuff stuck on the dash, I won't have time to watch where I'm going, lol.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Per

According to the manual of the "Radio shack Car Thermometer with Voltmeter" it can only show voltage up to 13V. I'm not sure it's usefull on our bikes.
 :ohttp://www.radioshack.com/images/ProductCatalog/Manuals/OME63-1039.pdf

h2olawyer

You may be reading the Radio Shack literature wrong, Per. ?I just bought one and installed it. ?14.5 - 14.7 @ idle on the voltmeter section. ?There is a small battery icon deal on it that shows max @ 13 V but that is just for battery condition. ?It does a fine job of monitoring the charging system.

It also has two temp sensors. ?Stuck one down behind my R/R - between the battery box & R/R. Just went around the block and temp @ R/R went from 120+ @ idle in the garage down to 105 when moving at up to 25MPH. ?The other one is built in to the LCD unit. ?With that under the plexiglass, I don't expect it to be too accurate. ?The DVM & clock are great, though and @ $15 + tax, is less than the dedicated voltmeters I was looking at.

Thanks for the heads up, Greg!

nvdranger

ooo another toy to get for the Vision.  well since shes torn apart right not anyways I should pick one up and get it hooked up to test the new stator and r/r.  did you put an inline swith w/it for on and off? it doesn't look like theres an on off on it.

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

h2olawyer

I probed around in the circuits inside the headlight shell. ?The only one I could find that showed an accurate reading of the charging system was the one with the inline fuse. ?Most circuits were lower volts and didn't seem to change much with RPM. ?Thinking headlight relay might also stabilize voltage somewhat?

The circuit is not controlled by the ignition key but you can unplug the power lead @ the unit. ?I'll try to remember to keep it unhooked generally and only plug it in when I want to see how things are charging. ?May install a small inline switch but I generally park it with the bettery tender plugged in while @ home (about 99% of the time) so battery drain shouldn't be a problem unless I'm spending the night elsewhere & forget to pack the tender.

Two AAA batteries run the clock & temp sensors. ?The unit has a backlight. ?It is on when the power lead is connected. ?When disconnected, there is a large button that turns the light on for a few seconds. ?I can use the mode buttons with my riding gloves on too. ?Pretty cool little unit!

ArrrGeee

another reference article on the subject.
interesting point about Honda regulators, owner recommends
using a Yamaha !

http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/about/bikes/honda/reg_replace.html

one other thing, I've got 3 regulators here in front of me, a cx500 honda, my original one that came on my bike when I bought it and a Honda cbr929.
from left to right the cx500 is easily lighter duty than either of the other 2. smaller in size and lighter guage wire. The 929 is the largest, the guage of the wire is much heavier than either of the others.  Where the cx500 looks much lighter duty than the stocker, I don't think I could recommend using it as a substitute for the stock unit.
after reading this article, I'd say that an R1 is the reglator replacement of choice.  ymmv

-Ron