How much of a difference does...

Started by inanecathode, April 18, 2007, 07:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

Rejetting a bike for altitude make?
Im fairly certain my xt250 was never jetted for, at least colorado, but more certainly my altitude (i ride it 9000 feet and up when i trail ride). It hesitates, stumbles, and won't freakin start (when i get up to around 10,000 feet) when i ride it on the trail. On the street it's got good acceleration up to about 35mph, then it just won't go.
I'm pretty sure rejetting it will solve the hesitation, stumbles, and poor starting, but will it give me more power when the throttle is pegged?
Also, do you guys think i should do just the main jet, or all the jets?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

kwells

I think increasing the pilot air jets will help
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

Increasing or decreasing? You reduce the opening to reduce the fuel to cope with less air.... right?

Brian Moffet

He's opening the air jet to deal with less air.

kwells

H20 and I are running 135's for pilot air jets but were discussing the effect that ~137s might have also.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Coil Coyle

Quote from: inanecathode on April 19, 2007, 07:36:25 AM
Increasing or decreasing? You reduce the opening to reduce the fuel to cope with less air.... right?

Cathode,
            Start on page 4 to get a foundation to build your understanding.
http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/vmmanual.pdf
Learn Pilot and main theory, they are all the same idea

$0.02
;)
Coil

inanecathode

Oops, lol. Wasn't reading. Dunno what i read, but i didnt read right. I always thought you drop fuel jet sizes to deal with less air?

h2olawyer

Either way may work.  At altitude, there is less air density, so you can either restrict fuel or increase air.  I dropped the main jets to 120 F & 125 rear once as a test.  Couldn't make it run right at all.  The stock (upgraded) jetting works really well from 1,000 to about 9,000 ft.  That's why kwells & I have discussed going to a 137.5 pilot air jet.  Inexpensive test & easy to reverse.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.